Set ACP, MCP, UCP to en, nevermind board language

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
globetrotting

Set ACP, MCP, UCP to en, nevermind board language

Post by globetrotting »

Everything is best documented, explained, debugged and researched in English - if you know the right keywords to search for.
With ACP, MCP & UCP in the board's not-English standard board language one never knows which expression to look for.
Also, translations of settings and functions are not always as precise as with their original English words.

I'd appreciate therefore a possibility to have my ACP, MCP, UCP shown in English while leaving the rest in standard language.
Das Sein ändert das Bewußtsein

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Set ACP, MCP, UCP to en, nevermind board language

Post by david63 »

You can do that now by putting the ACP language folder and the ucp.php and mcp.php files into your default language folder.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

globetrotting wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:16 am
I'd appreciate therefore a possibility to have my ACP, MCP, UCP shown in English while leaving the rest in standard language.
Since you have to enter the ACP anyway, temporarily change your default language to English.
On the other hand since you want the ACP in English, why not use English as your user_language all the time and only switch when it's necessary.
Brexit and Trump are old news and currently I have no inspiration for a new signature.
Ow, wait: 3.3 has been released.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

globetrotting wrote:
translations of settings and functions are not always as precise
Why not fixing the source of the problem: the translations?
globetrotting wrote:
their original English words
Can you elaborate on "original English"?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

globetrotting

Post by globetrotting »

david63 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 am
You can do that now by putting the ACP language folder and the ucp.php and mcp.php files into your default language folder.
Of course *facepalm*, good idea, at least for the ACP. If I did that with MCP and UCP, it would affect other users too though.

Dealing with a bi-lingual board, a developing admin usually needs to read, research & debug here on phpbb.com in English, hence the frequent need to know the original English expressions used by extensions or other functions set in the control panels. On the user end however he usually communicates in the board's standard language, hence the need to see the rest of the board as the users do.
It would just save quite some back- and forth switching of language settings if one could see the CPs in English while simultaneously leaving the rest of the board on standard language.
Nevermind, just a thought...

Edit @AmigoJack: Can you elaborate how a different translation could possibly help to find the original English terms used by an extension?

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

globetrotting wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:20 am
Dealing with a bi-lingual board, a developing admin usually needs to read, research & debug here on phpbb.com in English, hence the frequent need to know the original English expressions used by extensions or other functions set in the control panels. On the user end however he usually communicates in the board's standard language, hence the need to see the rest of the board as the users do.
I actually think it's a good idea to allow a quick language switch for an admin user in the ACP (only) (better than to have to change language settings which affect the whole board view).
Unfortunately the request is for English as only ACP language and as such I can't vote YES, since not all admins are fluent enough in English and will be a lot more comfortable with the ACP in their native language.
Brexit and Trump are old news and currently I have no inspiration for a new signature.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

globetrotting wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:20 am
Can you elaborate how a different translation could possibly help to find the original English terms used by an extension?
I can't: your argument was that the existing translations are imprecise, hence my suggestion to make them more precise. And I still don't understand what "original English terms" means - you haven't explained that, nor did you give any example.
Affin wrote:
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

Agreed that this sounds like it could be a good idea; just not literally in the "English-only for ACP" form implied by the initial proposal.

Maybe an On/Off-type slider at the top of the ACP pages which simply reverts to "the language the documentation is in" (English) any time someone wants to quickly and easily verify "when they said Board Settings, is that the translated name for this section?" (Versus "Board Configuration", or "Server Settings", or "Server Configuration", etc.)

Even though the ACP will continue, by default, to come up in whatever your installed and selected non-English language is for your phpBB user account. The On/Off setting could even be "sticky" across visits to the ACP, until reverted, in case someone just wants "always English" when they enter ACP for their phpBB user account.

globetrotting

Post by globetrotting »

warmweer wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:53 am
I actually think it's a good idea to allow a quick language switch for an admin user in the ACP (only) (better than to have to change language settings which affect the whole board view).
Unfortunately the request is for English as only ACP language and as such I can't vote YES, since not all admins are fluent enough in English and will be a lot more comfortable with the ACP in their native language.
I absolutely agree! I never meant the ACP etc. to be exclusively in English, but to have the choice to see the CPs in English while the rest of the board stays in standard language. A quick switch, just as you propose. :)
EA117 wrote:... Maybe an On/Off-type slider at the top of the ACP pages which simply reverts to... English...
Yes, please! :)
AmigoJack wrote:... translations are imprecise...
That's the general nature of translations. Re-Translating a translation will probably differ from the original, no matter how precise the 2 translations are. The whole issue here is, that you have to know the original wording in order to be able to search for the right expressions on phpbb.com, which happens to be the most complete source to debug anything phpBB, no matter which standard language your board uses.

Out of fairness, maybe only people with non-english boards should vote in this topic, as they are actually the only ones who have to deal with this problem and therefore might find this feature useful. :idea:

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

globetrotting wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:59 pm
AmigoJack wrote:... translations are imprecise...
That's the general nature of translations. Re-Translating a translation will probably differ from the original, no matter how precise the 2 translations are. The whole issue here is, that you have to know the original wording in order to be able to search for the right expressions on phpbb.com, which happens to be the most complete source to debug anything phpBB, no matter which standard language your board uses.

Out of fairness, maybe only people with non-english boards should vote in this topic, as they are actually the only ones who have to deal with this problem and therefore might find this feature useful. :idea:
I've had boards in Dutch (my native language), French, Spanish and Portugese but my user-language was almost always English, precisely (as you mentioned) because most information is in English (although the translations, in the languages that I know, are very good).
Since the request does seem to be for an option to switch the ACP language (and UCP, MCP) (your starting post actually did insinuate that), I am giving a YES vote hoping there will be enough interest and the developers will consider the idea. (unfortunately the NO votes are from phpBB heavyweights ;-))

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

globetrotting wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:59 pm
maybe only people with non-english boards should vote in this topic
I, as a non-native English speaker, have encountered a lot of bad English. Sometimes it is easier to read the author's native language than to cope with his wrong choice of English terms. Think of those who're not even fond with latin letters.
Affin wrote:

pierredu

Post by pierredu »

If this an option within the control panel, I also change my vote to YES.

globetrotting

Post by globetrotting »

pierredu wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:24 am
If this an option within the control panel, I also change my vote to YES.
cool

Since posting my 1st post, I partly found a workaround by having the phpbb-demo board permanently open in a browser tab to look up the original ACP in english. It doesn't work for the options and settings of the extensions though, as the demo board has none.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

I don't really know. For the few things that are displayed in the forum in EN, I can change the default language to EN in a DE forum in UCP and have the whole ACP and MCP in English.
My phpBB Style Board & MoreBlackfog, Graphit, Mixture, Ahoi, Ahoi_junior, Simple-3D (_blue), ProsilverColor-blinds, ColoredWelcome & FlowerPower are updated to phpBB 3.3.0

Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

Tastenplayer wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:09 pm
I don't really know. For the few things that are displayed in the forum in EN, I can change the default language to EN in a DE forum in UCP and have the whole ACP and MCP in English.
True, and that's what I usually have, but sometimes I want to see the terminology used in the other language(s) also, preferably without having to go to my UCP to switch language.
My workaround is to have 2 sessions open (1 UCP) when I need a couple of short language switches (but those occasions are not very frequent).

Return to “phpBB Ideas”