Posted:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 am
Rating:
New
Heo32

Redundant registration text

Post by Heo32 »

/ucp.php?mode=register

Length must be between 2 characters and 25 characters.
To:
Length must be between 2 and 25 characters.
Must be between 6 characters and 100 characters.
To:
Must be between 6 and 100 characters.
stevemaury wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Is this for you?
Windows + Nginx + PHP + MySQL + phpBB + WordPress + Cloudflare

Content-Security-Policy:
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Redundant registration text

Post by david63 »

If they are causing you a problem then you could always edit the language file.

Alternatively create a PR for the changes and then they will be reviewed and possibly added.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Generally you would only register once so what difference will it make, you’ll only see it once, very briefly?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

I shouldn't have to explain why redundant and unnecessarily repeated text is not necessary and should get fixed. Nor is there any relevancy on it's importance based on the amount of times that someone registers excuses the fact that extra words are, once again, redundant, pointless and unnecessary. And just because this is a trivial change does not mean it should get tossed under the rug, nor does it mean that I should change a single file myself on my forums because it is "causing a problem", because it obviously is not since humans can interpret bloated sentences quite well.

You're both trying to excuse this as an unworthy grammatical change. It would improve the sentences by making them concise and to-the-point when one a single word is removed. Can you deny that?

If both of you think that shortening the sentences by getting rid of an unnecessary word is a bad idea, then I have to disagree with both of you.
stevemaury wrote:
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Is this for you?

Content-Security-Policy:

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Heo32 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:32 am
If both of you think that shortening the sentences by getting rid of an unnecessary word is a bad idea, then I have to disagree with both of you.
You are perfectly entitled to your option just as everyone else is but you cannot expect everyone to always agree with you.

I offered two suggestions as ways around the issue that you have but you appear to want to make this somebody else's problem to resolve.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

david63 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:00 pm
You are perfectly entitled to your option just as everyone else is but you cannot expect everyone to always agree with you.

I offered two suggestions as ways around the issue that you have but you appear to want to make this somebody else's problem to resolve.
I don't even know how or why this turned into a debate. It's an easy fix.

There is nothing to disagree with. You're just being stubborn and disagreeing for the sake of it, and possibly hoping this discussion will discourage one of the developers from taking it seriously. Look at the alternative sentences I posted and find an error with either of them. If you can, then my suggestion is clearly incorrect and makes no sense, according to you. Adding the same word twice in the same sentence is therefore, according to both of you, the way to go, because redundancy is apparently a thing now.

Do people usually speak like this in the real world?
I have either 4 cookies or 9 cookies or 12 cookies or 15 cookies or 24 cookies or 32 cookies or 36 cookies or 41 cookies. Guess the number.
That sounds stupid, right? Almost like a parrot with brain damage, yet it really is no different than what is implemented in phpBB right now. I'm using this to emphasize my point. Since that sentence is clearly speaking about cookies (in case no one noticed), because it was repeated more than once, saying that word multiple times does not make the message any clearer. It simply adds bloat.

An alternative, and the way a regular native English speaker would type and say it would be:
I have either 4, 9, 12, 15, 24, 32, 36 or 41 cookies. Guess the number.
Clean, simple, and to the point. You understand now, I hope. This isn't about opinion. This shouldn't even have been a debate. The current sentences do work, but repeating the same word in a single sentence has no place in this current situation. Once again, there is redundancy in repeating the same word for no point whatsoever. Trimming the fat makes the full sentence clean, and it works.

I'd like to see you disagree with that. And if you do, please state how I'm wrong.
stevemaury wrote:
Is this for you?

Content-Security-Policy:

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Isn't the Ideas section for new/changed features?

This is more a minor bugfix than idea for improvements, so I would have thought you could just create an issue in the tracker, like you did previous for similar language suggestions eg https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-16047
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Agreed ^^ Btw the OP already did it: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15614
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Premium extensions @ The Studio

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Heo32 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 am
Length must be between 2 characters and 25 characters.
To:
Length must be between 2 and 25 characters.
While I agree that there is unnecessary repetition in the first text, the second text continues to have a "problem" in the sense that "Length" is not the correct wording due to "characters" not being a unit of length. Linguistically there's no misunderstanding possible so it doesn't bother me at all but if it needs changing (and I do agree that there are too many characters ;) ) then "must contain between 2 and 25 characters" seems more precise.
However (I'm in a nitpicking mode), the use of "between", strictly speaking excludes 2 and 25 (2 is not between 2 and 25, and neither is 25).
I'll leave it to native English speakers to find a nice, short and correct phrasing. 8-)
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Simply "Minimum 2 and maximum 25 characters" is both concise and accurate.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

between 2 characters and 25 characters
I guess the trivial culprit of this is that each number can result in singular or plural. What you want could result in bad outcomes like
  • between 0 and 1 character (first plural, then singular), and
  • between 1 and 2 characters (first singular, then plural),
where one word doesn't fit both numbers.
Heo32 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:32 am
on it's importance
Please change this to "its".
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Not a feature request, OP has submitted it to the tracker, topic locked

Return to “phpBB Ideas”