Group Color options for multiple different Styles (Forum Themes)

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Author:
M.O.B.
Posted:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:53 pm
Rating:
New
M.O.B.

Group Color options for multiple different Styles (Forum Themes)

Post by M.O.B. »

This is something that I think would benefit forum admins that may have more than one Style (forum theme) installed on their sites.

For example: I have both a Light Style and a Dark Style installed.

The issue is that under the Group Management (in the ACP), where we can select a Group Color, well, it becomes a problem because we can only choose one color for all styles installed. And the solution would be if we could select a different color for each custom style (theme).

Because as we know...
  • Light Style themes work best with darker colored text.
  • Dark Style themes work best with lighter colored text.
This way if we would choose Blue for the Moderator Group, we could select a darker blue for the Light Style theme, while we could choose a lighter blue for the Dark Style theme for the same group.

warmweer

Re: Group Color options for multiple different Styles (Forum Themes)

Post by warmweer »

M.O.B. wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:53 pm
This is something that I think would benefit forum admins that may have more than one Style (forum theme) installed on their sites.
It's an interesting idea, but perhaps too limited at this stage.
Group colour is 1 feature which could benefit from different versions for light and dark styles but I can think of other items such as topic icons, smileys, images such as rank images, even text decoration in the post content.
Perhaps a list should be made of items which could benefit from the requested feature, in order to identify what could be done as a default feature, and what could/should be done as an inherent style feature? (e.g. I doubt it would be possible to automatically change post_content decoration colours based on light/dark style).
Brexit and Trump are old news and currently I have no inspiration for a new signature.
Ow, wait: 3.3 has been released.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

I can see the practical logic in the idea but also some problems.

One of the reasons for having a group colour is for the recognition of members as to which group they are in. If you potentially have a different colour for each style/group then that reason for using group colours is lost.

Secondly there is the problem of management. In the example above there are only two styles being used but any such change (including those outlined by warmweer above) would need to cater for an infinite number of styles - both in the ACP and in the database.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. »

Well in my example above, the color blue is only for moderators, and well blue could have different shades of that color.

One of course would be a darker blue so it looks well on "light" styles, while a lighter blue for "dark" styles.

So you can keep the same color per group, just that it will be a shade different for each group.

Also, if only we could also change their colors using CSS, that would also be very helpful. Most other items on a phpBB forum can be changed using CSS, but these groups colors cannot. :(

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Probably impossible, but it would be good if you could adjust these colors in the css of the style if needed. It's quite difficult to find colors that are well recognizable in three different styles.
My phpBB Style Board & MoreBlackfog, Graphit, Mixture, Ahoi, Ahoi_junior, Simple-3D (_blue), ProsilverColor-blinds, ColoredWelcome & FlowerPower are updated to phpBB 3.3.0

Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Tastenplayer wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:58 pm
it would be good if you could adjust these colors in the css of the style if needed
Whilst it would probably be relatively easy to have the group colours for the "default" groups in the .css files (although this would mean considerable re-working of the core code) it would be a different matter for "custom" groups.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez »

The next version is being shipped with a light and a dark style so it will probably have a solution for this in place.
Top value domain names at FastHosts.
Visit SiteSplat for some unique, elegant phpBB styles and extensions.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”