Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:47 am
Rating:
New
heinrich_k

Addition to Privacy Policy / Terms of use

Post by heinrich_k »

There should be a phrase that reads like this
"The board my request that your browser loads ressources from third party sources. This inclued, but is not likited to, fonts, images, java-scripts."

This phrase should be added either by default, or by option. Prefferably if any extension or style is added to the board that makes use of such resources, or if the img-Tag allows for users to bind outside pictures into posts or signatures.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Addition to Privacy Policy / Terms of use

Post by david63 »

Why? It is not a privacy issue.

If you want that in your Privacy Policy then there is nothing to stop you editing the appropriate file. phpBB provides a "basic" policy - it cannot cater for every nuance that user's think should be in it
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

heinrich_k wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:47 am
There should be a phrase that reads like this
"The board my request that your browser loads ressources from third party sources. This inclued, but is not likited to, fonts, images, java-scripts."
Congratulations: after ~25 years people finally understood how websites work: they render embedded resources, and those can be off-site. Honestly, whoever is concerned about privacy should be able to use a browser which provides exactly such settings to be switched individually.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

heinrich_k

Post by heinrich_k »

david63 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:54 am
Why? It is not a privacy issue.
If you allow, for example, [img]-Tags to outside sources for anyone, what's stopping a user to implement
[img]https://domain.tld/analyse.dll?id=1234{/img]
and thereby spying on any other user who's browser displays said post. There is no save guard against that, if analyse.dll actually returns an image that is within the boards size parameters. One probably doesn't want to disable img-Tag to outside sources in general.

So, there is no harm to warn people in either the Privacy Policy or Terms of use.
AmigoJack wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:48 pm
Congratulations: after ~25 years people finally understood how websites work: they render embedded resources, and those can be off-site. Honestly, whoever is concerned about privacy should be able to use a browser which provides exactly such settings to be switched individually.
Well, anyone should be concerned about privacy. And you might think you understand how it works, but do your kids, your grandparents? Do you think your neighbour does?

"You should have known that your browser/computer does that" is not a valid argument, if you haven't written it in the Terms of use or Privacy Policy. Unless you write "You should be fully aware what you computer does when you visit this page, so please stop by after you have a Bachelors degree in network technology and carefully examined the phpBB source code."

As of now the incorporation of googleapis.com, google fonts and so on is an issues discussed by media lawyers. And while I'm not aware of any court rulings some 'privacy policy' generators set up by law firms advise to mention such technologies.

In any case: what's the harm?
Sending a few kb of data more per display of the terms of use ?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

heinrich_k wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 am
what's stopping a user to implement
[img]https://domain.tld/analyse.dll?id=1234{/img]
and thereby spying on any other user who's browser displays said post
Surprise: this is done for decades already, yet everyone (including phpbb.com) happily includes //ajax.googleapis.com/.
heinrich_k wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 am
there is no harm to warn people in either the Privacy Policy or Terms of use.
That's useless: those people won't read it anyway. As a programmer I can tell you warning didn't work 30 years ago and it doesn't work nowadays. That's where laws like GDPR can kick in: no matter how often one warns about anything or how aggressively a user is pushed to confirm to something: it should violate a law.
AmigoJack wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:48 pm
And you might think you understand how it works, but do your kids, your grandparents? Do you think your neighbour does?
Counter question: do your kids read warnings? Your grandparents? Your neighbours? Understanding what one is doing is on the same level as reading warnings - just because the warning exists does by far not guarantee it has been read or understood.

That's the very point. After you added your warnings to the terms of use or privacy policy the next one comes over and arguments that people should be taught that requesting a website already sends out data/information...
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

The standard Privacy Policy would have to be revised long ago anyway. In my opinion, it has not been sufficient for a long time. Not in the EU countries anyway. Even in the USA people from EU countries can register and be a member.
It does not even contain that google fonts are used.

Since you have to write them completely new anyway and you are allowed to eliminate the contact form (which you have to do with every new phpBB version) you can also insert something like that yourself.
https://www.phpbb-skins-by.koliofotis.c ... de=privacy - https://www.phpbb-skins-by.koliofotis.c ... ntactadmin (Impressum-Contact-Privacy - Terms) - https://www.phpbb-skins-by.koliofotis.c ... mode=terms Unfortunately the linked EN links always end in DE. To be able to read them on EN or other language, you have to go to the index page of my forum and under the header first click on the corresponding flag.

What should be standard in phpBB (that`s my idea-wish): that the privacy policy and terms can be displayed and read even when a board is inactive. Unfortunately only the contact form works then, so you have to summarize all this in it (Because all these things are important for a website and must always be available).
My phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”