Author:
Ancient Viking
Posted:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:42 pm
Rating:
Ancient Viking

Better moderation tools.

Post by Ancient Viking »

I thought the "Merge Posts" option was already integrated into phpBB by now, but obviously I was mistaken.

viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2557181

Anyway, why I bring this up has to do with my time as both a local moderator (LM) and a moderator on TWC. Furthermore, I also have some experience with the mod tools that IPS, XenForo, and vBulletin has.

IPS = LM at TAL (ended in May/June 2017 due to the close down of the old BSF forum in late April 2017) for 3 years
XenForo = Tried a demo (full forum access for 72 hours) at their website over 5 years ago (I took a few pictures and still have them)
vBulletin = TWC are using vBulletin and that's why I miss the "Merge Posts" option in phpBB plus a few other things

What do you think, is it time for phpBB to get better mod tools without an extension(s) similiar to what the other forum software has?
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
AmigoJack

Re: Better moderation tools.

Post by AmigoJack »

Boy is this vague... and it's also not one idea on its own. If you have experience you should know that
  1. topic titles should be unambiguous, at best precise
  2. an idea should be outlined clearly, not with relative examples only
  3. using abbreviations that aren't well-known will anything but earn you followers for your idea
  4. using BBCodes to format your post makes it even more interesting.
The only thing I missed in the MCP during 10 years was a search box on topic/forum lists, which I added thru a modification (so you don't have to browse yourself the title of the topic you want to merge).

Merging posts was never necessary - during all the years I might have given 2 warnings for rabid (yes, b - not p) posting in sum and then members either learnt or ditched their membership anyway.

I also experienced vBulletin 3 or 4 a few times (years ago) and I was missing a lot compared to phpBB.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

Alright, I'll try to elaborate a bit.

Auto generated posted report will have the following information in a specific subforum e.g Report Discussions.

- The member who reported a post
- The topic title with a link to the reported post
- Reason for the report
- The whole post quoted as a reference

I might have missed a thing or two, but that's what I remember right now.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

This raises even more questions: not only have reports nothing to do with your initial text about merging posts, but also does the MCP already have every point you mention to deal with reports - what's wrong with that? And you still haven't edited your post to have a better subject. Good luck with this "idea".
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”