Present Post Review even when editing, not just when replying.

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
EA117

Present Post Review even when editing, not just when replying.

Post by EA117 »

If you are creating a new reply and someone else has also created a new reply before you hit "Submit", you will be forced to see "Post Review" and see those posts before then making a decision about whether to perform a second commitment to "Submit".

Edit should work the same way.

If you're editing a newly-submitted reply, or even editing a previous post in order to clarify some situation, if someone else creates a new post which already clarifies that same issue and/or "makes the problem worse", the author benefits from "being forced to review those new replies before then giving a second commitment to Submit" even during an edit.

For all the same reasons they benefit from that behavior when phpBB makes them do it while making a new reply.

Following the existing Post Review configuration seems like it would be fine, and would apply to Edit and Reply equally. Or a separate edit-specific Post Review configuration could be created, if deemed necessary.
Talk19Zehn

Re: Present Post Review even when editing, not just when replying.

Post by Talk19Zehn »

On a positive scale 0 - 10: My points = 10

Regards
phponly

Post by phponly »

I'd be happy to see this addition, nothing better than making a post and then coming back to it in full force when you have the spare time to be more insightful with all of the functionality phpbb has to offer.
I provide a free mirror service for open-source projects, pm me. I'm also starting to create free html templates in my spare time.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

EA117 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:25 pm
Edit should work the same way.
Nothing to add but for a YES vote.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

It is a good idea IMHO. 👍
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

Because this review of the post does not stand out visually, it occasionally happens that the post is lost. Simply because it was overlooked that it requires a click on "send" again.

Approving all suggestions, I would suggest an optical highlighting for posts that have to be checked again. A red frame, a flashing - something that attracts attention. In both cases.
Webseite, Blog, Wiki Deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Yeah, sure, even some buzzer that sounds like a police siren. :P :lol:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
Random American

Post by Random American »

The lack of post review when editing has annoyed me at times, so I'm glad that the vote on this is unanimously in favor so far.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

You are talking about showing the last x number of posts for the topic right? Because in a 40 page topic this wouldn't be very pretty if the OP was to edit the first post of the topic.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

DavidIQ wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:24 pm
You are talking about showing the last x number of posts for the topic right? Because in a 40 page topic this wouldn't be very pretty if the OP was to edit the first post of the topic.
Talking about performing the same behavior on the Edit page as currently happens on the Reply page when Post Review is enabled.

When Post Review is presented, you are shown the new post(s) which have been added to the topic since you began your reply/edit. Not "all posts".

Which makes sense in what Post Review is trying to achieve: Show them content which now exists in the topic which didn't exist before they started composing/editing their message.

What would be the point of showing them content that was already there before they started editing, and is still there when they attempted to submit? Only new posts would need to be shown when helping the user decide for a second time that they want to submit their changes.
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Was thinking of the panel of the existing posts that shows up just after the options panel as you're replying, which is called "Topic Review" and shows the last 10 posts, so nevermind.

I'm not sure providing the post preview with new replies as you edit a previous reply will add clarity to what the user is writing or make a lot of sense in that context. Maybe if they're editing the last reply, but anything outside of that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Agree that editing of the last / most recent reply can be the strongest use case. But it can be the same for an earlier one too, depending on the "quality" of the additional posts that were added after the one being edited.

Meaning whether those additional existing posts affect whether "continuing to edit this existing post" will still make sense, same as you would evaluate about any new content Post Review notifies you about. Versus similar to when Post Review notifying you of a substantial new post, you need to "switch tactics" and now post a new reply instead. Which will be inclusive of this latest "substantial" information, rather than continuing to edit the earlier post with what you were trying to clarify.

But even if there was only the one strongest use use, I'd still give this idea my vote simply for nudging towards additional consistency in the behavior. I sit there composing a Reply not having to worry about "I wonder if someone else will have already responded with something I should check before posting", because I know I'll see it before my post is allowed. But when editing a message, there is no such assurance. And if concerned, in that case you have to check manually instead. Even though "Edit is just another mode of the same posting.php Reply interface", and the behavior could be consistent.

Note I'm actually not opposed to Topic Review being shown in the edit case, either. Again, mainly consistency: Why should it be harder to quote additional existing posts when editing, as compared to the ease of making those additional quotes using Topic Review when replying.

But to the concern you raised, phpBB already handles that. Because even in "Reply" mode there is a limit to the number of posts Topic Review will allow to be displayed. It won't just run away and display all the posts, even in "Reply" mode. Same would be expected if Topic Review became enabled when editing a post.

But this idea isn't about trying to get Topic Review enabled during editing. Just Post Review is all we're voting for here. Topic Review will either be its own separate idea, or maybe a judgement call by whatever developer tries to bring more unity and consistently to the "Reply" versus "Edit" mode of posting.php when addressing "Post Review".

Return to “phpBB Ideas”