SEO Optimization: Unique h1 and better placement

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Costheme

SEO Optimization: Unique h1 and better placement

Post by Costheme »

Hello. The way it is structured phpBB is not very well optimized for SEO, and also a bit difficult for us as developers to manage this. So here's what I think could be useful to implement:

1. Each page should have a single and unique h1 tag, but phpBB has the same h1 across all pages, representing the website name. That should be visible only on the index. Example: FAQ page h1 it should be {L_FAQ_TITLE} , login page h1 should be {L_LOGIN} and so on.

2. Including the page title inside overall_header.html would very useful ( as a design standpoint ) because trying to get the page title right now is overwhelming and not compatible with all dynamic, plugins created titles.

Example: the page title right now is placed as h2 and inside .page-body element. A better approach would be to have the page title as h1 and placed right below the .headerbar ( and below this the breadcrumbs ).

3. Using the page title as a general variable, just like WordPress does. This could be very useful if let's say you guys won't implement the above suggestion and this way we could easily pull the title without using all those conditionals like:

Code: Select all

{% if  SCRIPT_NAME == 'viewforum' %}{FORUM_NAME}{% elseif SCRIPT_NAME == 'viewtopic' %} {TOPIC_TITLE} {% elseif S_IN_MCP %}{L_MCP}{% endif %}
and so on. The list becomes huge and as I said not very practical if we design a custom theme for a client and later on he will use an extension to create a new page.

Idea: Define page title in every page

Code: Select all

$page_title = echo 'the page title'; 
or something similar so we can easily pull it without using all those conditionals I mentioned before.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: SEO Optimization: Unique h1 and better placement

Post by thecoalman »

I'd agree the h1 tag should be used more appropriately and the third suggestion certainly sounds reasonable to me.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

On the basis that the whole of the style structure is currently being re-developed then I would suggest that this would be more appropriate on Area51 as it is unlikely that any major change will be made to the current style/template
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Costheme

Post by Costheme »

david63 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:54 pm
On the basis that the whole of the style structure is currently being re-developed then I would suggest that this would be more appropriate on Area51 as it is unlikely that any major change will be made to the current style/template
You are probably right as even those ideas marked as "in progress" are in that state since 2013.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”