BBCode Link in a new Window

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
kizuzi

BBCode Link in a new Window

Post by kizuzi »

Dear Community,

The Link on the right side of the Text area could be a link to a new window or tab, to not disturb the writing of the text:

Code: Select all

<a href="/community/help/bbcode" target="_blank">BBCode</a>
If Javascript enabled it could be also a Popup.

Best Regards, Daniel
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: BBCode Link in a new Window

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

or, you could simply right click and choose open in new tab or window etc.

but, I do agree that it would be easier to use with a popup.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

kizuzi wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:43 pm
to not disturb the writing of the text
So you're talking about the editor. There are various other perspectives to this:
  • One can click links before having started to write anything at all.
  • Good browsers can easily go back to the page before and the controls still contain what they entered/chose.
  • Those who don't want a new tab or window will be annoyed if something new opens.
  • Those who want a new window will be annoyed if a new tab opens.
  • Those who want a new tab will be annoyed if a new window opens.
  • The user could be skilled enough to hold down a key (CTRL or SHIFT) while clicking to decide on his own what he actually wants.
I mean: it's 2020 and users still need assistance in opening links into new tabs?
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Siguza

Post by Siguza »

after seeing amigojack's response, I'm gonna have to downvote
Formerly known as qcz When replying directly to me please quote me so I get notified. Thanks.

ok i never post anymore goodbye
Random American

Post by Random American »

Respectfully, I just don't see why I cannot just right click.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
kizuzi

Post by kizuzi »

Dear,
The user could be skilled enough to hold down a key (CTRL or SHIFT) while clicking to decide on his own what he actually wants.
There are different users, they are not skilled enough and also there will be a possibility to forget it. Not every one is using the computer the whole time and not everyone have learned to use a computer before they grow up.

But anyway. In my Forum I have installed the extension to use automatic drafts to prevent to loose the written content.

Best Regards,
Daniel
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

It is a valid UX suggestion.

Nothing should take you away from the action you're performing unexpectedly. At minimum this should be a Javascript confirmation prompt (providing the textarea has at least one character typed into it).
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

kizuzi wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:11 pm
There are different users
Think about it this way: you get a meal on a plate and with it only a spoon. You'll complain that you want a fork (and possibly a knife), but then you hear "not everybody is using forks (and knives) the whole time and they might forget how to - that's why everyone here only gets spoons".

You experience this in a lot of different contexts: being forced to do it a soft and dumb way, because otherwise others might fail. Most of the times that's when I decide that I don't want it at all anymore and let the kids alone in their kindergarden zone. Yes, there may elderly people, but then why isn't there an option I can switch off? That's where most designers/programmers fail.
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10

Return to “phpBB Ideas”