Option to Automatically Mark All Topics Read

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Option to Automatically Mark All Topics Read

Post by thecoalman »

Not sure when it changed and this may even go back to phpBB2. The original behavior for unread topics was they would be based on the session. When you returned to forum after session expired the only thing marked unread would be new activity since your last visit. Basically what "new topics" lists now.

While the unread topics being marked as unread "forever" while viewing the topic list is nice feature it renders the unread icons on index.php and other pages listing a forum somewhat useless. They are almost always going to be displayed as unread unless the user manually uses the "mark this forum/all topics read" link every time they are done reading topics.

An option in the user control panel to control this behavior so old topics are automatically marked read after X hours would be nice.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Re: Option to Automatically Mark All Topics Read

Post by david63 »

Not sure about this. I think that there would need a lot more configuration than a simple on/off switch in the UCP.

If a member is a regular visitor to a board then in the majority of cases they will manage their own "unread" topics - either by reading them or marking them as read. If a member does not visit regularly (if at all) then it will make little or no difference.

There would, in my view, need to be an Admin override to turn the feature on/off globally and also some thought given to topics started by an Admin, and possibly a Moderator, that needed to be read (yes I know that there is no way to force anyone to read anything!). Also you (or at least I) would not want Announcements to be automatically marked as read.

Then there is the question as to how/when this marking is to be done - if it was to be a cron job then I could see on a large board that it might bring the board to a standstill - the other option would be as a user logged it, which would possibly add a considerable load to the server on a large board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Option to Automatically Mark All Topics Read

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 am
Then there is the question as to how/when this marking is to be done -
Let's say the user sets it for one hour. Their last activity is at 1 o'clock, when they visit the board at 2 o'clock any topics that were unread with last activity on or before 1 o'clock would be marked as read.

This was the behavior at one point but I believe that may have been phpBB2 when it was tracked by cookie. There is setting under load settings "Enable server-side topic marking:", haven't tested it but it may have same behavior I'm describing if you turn that off.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Ideas”