Copying single posts, not only complete topics

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
ARit

Copying single posts, not only complete topics

Post by ARit »

It would be a nice feature to be able to copy a single post to another forum and not only a complete thread.
david63

Re: Copying single posts, not only complete threads

Post by david63 »

Can you give us a use case for this?

On most boards cross posting is either forbidden or at least discouraged so I am not sure what this would achieve.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

This has been discussed already.
Clone Post (Not: topic)
While I do consider it a useful feature, it's truly a niche feature and a simple text copy or a quote can achieve the result mentioned in the title (copy vs. clone).
I would give the idea a YES vote, if it weren't for the too short description you posted which doesn't generate any interest (+ threads <> topics :cry: ).
As david63 mentioned: a user case would greatly help in explaining the need for such a feature.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
ssl
Name: Fred

Post by ssl »

Hi
While it is so easy to edit the post to copy it, or as a quote, as already said, I don't understand the usefulness of such an addition to phpBB.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB version: 3.3.3
php version: 8.0.2
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

ssl wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:21 am
Hi
While it is so easy to edit the post to copy it, or as a quote, as already said, I don't understand the usefulness of such an addition to phpBB.
A copy or a quote would be a new post: with a new posttime. A clone removes the need for a copy (and could keep the original posttime).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
ssl
Name: Fred

Post by ssl »

Yes it is true but it seems to me that there is an extension which allows to change the time and date of publication of a message.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB version: 3.3.3
php version: 8.0.2
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

With 10 years of experience the times when we encountered such a need the whole topic was cloned and selected posts of the new topic were deleted again. Occured rarily, maybe twice a year.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Ancient Viking

Re: Copying single posts, not only complete topics

Post by Ancient Viking »

ARit wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 am
It would be a nice feature to be able to copy a single post to another forum and not only a complete thread.
I too find it strange of not being able to copy a single post or even merge a post with another post without using an extension.

That's something I've thought about for a long time and I wonder how much MCP have changed over the years. Very little I'm afraid and still we cannot merge posts or copy a post in MCP.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
Neculai Anisor
Translator
Name: Neculai Anișor

Re: Copying single posts, not only complete topics

Post by Neculai Anisor »

Ancient Viking wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:59 pm
ARit wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 am
I too find it strange of not being able to copy a single post or even merge a post with another post without using an extension.

That's something I've thought about for a long time and I wonder how much MCP have changed over the years. Very little I'm afraid and still we cannot merge posts or copy a post in MCP.
Sorry maybe i got it wrong. What do you mean you cannot merge posts via MCP? I am able to merge since 3.0 :o With no additional extension.
Are you talking about merging the text only or topic + topic, post+topic?
Anișor @ phpBB3.ro - Administrator

Return to “phpBB Ideas”