An eye button next to the password field->

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Peter Swinkels

An eye button next to the password field->

Post by Peter Swinkels »

Hi, I am completely new to these forums and have no idea whether this has been suggested before or not. However, I have noticed that sometimes (and sometimes not) an "eye" button appears next to the textbox where you enter your password. At a forum where this button did appear (at least not for me) I suggested this feature should be added and was told it may depend on the browser and to suggest this feature on this website. (http://www.rhjunior.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6347).

So long story short:
I feel a feature should be made available on all PHP based forums that works in all common browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge, etc.) where the user can glimpse a password about to be submitted.

I myself am rather prone to making typo's, especially on keyboards with settings I am not used to and can't change or on small touch screens and I suspect I am not the only one. :-)

Thank you.
Peter Swinkels.
Last edited by Peter Swinkels on Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neculai Anisor
Translator
Name: Neculai Anișor

Re: An eye button next to the password field->

Post by Neculai Anisor »

Are you talking about changing the field type from **** to text in the field?
Anișor @ phpBB3.ro - Administrator
EA117

Post by EA117 »

To give the idea as clear a chance of being understood and adopted, perhaps also specify what the current "failure" case is. Meaning, under what configuration does the password field presented by phpBB not allow the "eye" functionality to occur? Or maybe links to a specific site where you do see this behavior, versus another specific site where you don't see it, even though you're using the same web browser.

As already indicated in the response received in the other forum, indeed this is largely "a feature of the web browser", and not something the application itself explicitly provides. At least not beyond indicating that this particular form field is type="password", which is something phpBB and any style I've seen already does.

Since that is also why the characters are being hidden in the first place; because of how the browser defaults to handling type="password" fields. Browsers that provide the "eye" functionality also default to providing that on type="password" fields, too; unless that behavior has been disabled in the browser's settings.

So is there a particular phpBB style perhaps where you don't see this behavior, in a web browser that otherwise does provide this behavior? Or a particular web browser that is failing to provide this on phpBB sites in general (regardless of style), even though it does provide it when visiting non-phpBB sites?

I think possibly the recommendation you were being given in the other forum to "contact the phpBB application developers if you're not seeing it" was on a presumption that the application must not be presenting their password fields with the standard type="password" attribute, such that the browser could apply its default password-related behaviors. Since if that was the case, indeed it would take some change in phpBB or its styles to present these fields as type="password". But phpBB is already doing that.

I'm sure that both Javascript and CSS would permit creation of "our own eye feature", with it's own separate checkbox or other event to reveal and re-hide the content. But for the majority of cases that would mean "now there are two different eyes", or we would need to disable the browser's built-in behavior so that only one of them shows; which doesn't sound necessary nor a good use of development time.

So that's why it seems important to clarify what exactly "the failure case" is that you're currently observing. In case there is a narrower definition of the problem to be solved or feature to be provided here.

edit: I neglected to confirm, I see the "eye" behavior with phpBB's login page here on phpbb.com/community, at least with Chrome 88.0.4324.104 and Edge 88.0.705.56 on Windows 10. For what it's worth, in case that's already one of the places you would say "I don't see it."
Sergio64

Post by Sergio64 »

Hi,

You can try this extension : https://github.com/Sylver35/showpassword

It works nice.
PHP 8.0.2 phpBB 3.3.3
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

For those not having an idea what is meant: Google image search.

This is a feature that doesn't come by default - each software (i.e. the web browser or your favorite operating system's login) must implement it itself. The "eye" does not appear, but instead is always displayed. Clicking on it changes the asterisks in a password field to the actual characters being entered. And back, if clicked again.

Why this is needed/wanted is a different topic... i.e. in most login screens you could easily type in your password where the username goes into when you're not sure if you hit the correct keys. If you did so, you can easily cut that password (CTRL+X) and paste it (CTRL+V) into the actual password field. This worked 30 years ago already, but I guess today this is considered secret knowledge. I myself see no need for this, as long as both username and password fields are available at the same time.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Sergio64 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:18 am
You can try this extension : https://github.com/Sylver35/showpassword
That worked surprisingly well, even on Chrome where the the feature already existed. In the time I had available to look at it, I couldn't work out how the existing Chrome behavior had been explicitly or implicitly suppressed... but I did not get "two eyes", even if I set the extension's image to "display: none" to see if Chrome's eye was hiding somewhere underneath.

So OP, this extension is an example of "create our own eye using Javascript and CSS." The implementation is not entirely cheap and easy; so you may need to keep an eye out (no pun intended) for any styles or forms where it doesn't have the expected effect, and let the author know.

But to me, using the extension looks like a good compromise in addition to making the Ideas post about having the functionality in phpBB itself. I too tend to believe that it will be hard for the Ideas post to get traction, since web browsers themselves will offer this behavior. Ostensibly making the "cases helped by putting the functionality into phpBB itself" fewer and fewer as time goes on.
Peter Swinkels

Post by Peter Swinkels »

Yes, I am talking about removing the "***"". The failure case? Well I did a few brief tests. Here is a message I copy-pasted from another forum:"
Okay I did a few very brief tests.

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox don't seem to automatically include the eye thingy. I have seen it in Chrome but that probably means the site explicitly creates such a button. Internet Explorer (a browser which I refuse to use any more unless I must) creates the eye button for you and so does Microsoft Edge. Safari I can't really test because I would need to find a way to upload my *.html file in such a way I can open it from my tablet or phone. As near as I can tell Safari behaves the same as Chrome and Firefox... It seems those three need to include this handy feature automatically ASAP... As for me I am kind of done with this for the time being. Bye. :-)
Link: http://www.rhjunior.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6347

As you can see I stated I was kind of done with this topic at the moment, however now I see my suggestion has been approved - for which I am thankful btw - I am going to do my best to respond to the questions and suggestions here.
david63

Post by david63 »

Peter Swinkels wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:40 am
I see my suggestion has been approved
Nothing has been "approved" - all that has happened is that you have made a post in the ideas forum, which to date nobody else has agreed with. You now have to wait to see if the Development Team take up the idea.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... figuration
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... in+browser

It's something which can be enabled or disabled on Windows (and per browser).
I guess that even if there no way to configure that on Mac (I don't know), it can still be enabled/disabled in the browser.
I see no need for it as the password can easily be typed in a text area (e.g. the search field of the browser, and copy/pasted).
As such I consider this unnecessary, even bloat.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Indeed. And your word processor doesn't need to show your text in the font you've selected; you could always cut-n-paste your text over into the OS font tool, and see what the font looks like there. It's just easier and more likely to be used when the feature is available right where you need it.

Rather than say "by design, make sure you're typing your password correctly by putting that password both into the clipboard and into a non-password field" — where it can get auto-remembered in the clear as previous input, or forgotten that it still remains in the clipboard for someone to find later — it is both more convenient and more secure to be able to verify the password's correctness right there in the password field. Which is how and why browsers and platforms are doing it there.

And it's not without precedent for phpBB. We Twemoji the emoji characters for a consistent behavior across browsers and platforms, even though we would actually already be happy with the behavior on some of those platforms. This current idea proposes to give us consistent eye behavior across platforms, even though some platforms already have it.

But "many platforms are already doing it" and "you can already get an extension for the web browsers that don't" keeps it from being "obvious" to me that a phpBB core change would be the appropriate investment. I think the existing extension is likely to be as close as that ever comes. Maybe if the phpBB 4.x style authors thought this would be an advanced behavior for this web application to provide on all password fields, we could see it during some major design change.
ssl
Name: Fred

Post by ssl »

Hi
An extension already existe Show Password
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB version: 3.3.3
php version: 8.0.2
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

AmigoJack wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:24 pm
in most login screens you could easily type in your password where the username goes into when you're not sure if you hit the correct keys[/b]. If you did so, you can easily cut that password (CTRL+X) and paste it (CTRL+V) into the actual password field. This worked 30 years ago already, but I guess today this is considered secret knowledge. I myself see no need for this, as long as both username and password fields are available at the same time.
My understanding is that the unmasking eye (also sometimes presented as a 'show password' checkbox) was adopted approximately in correlation with the increased usage of mobile web browsing. Particularly to combat the frequent mistypes that can happen on a touch-screen keyboard.

There are lots of UX studies showing that it is effective when used. Given the prevalence of mobile browsing, I would say this is a nice addition that wouldn't have many major disadvantages.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

And what is the behavior if several people use the same PC, mobile phone, tablet, etc.? In these times, this question is unanswered for me, as I basically cannot assume that system users (own or other system configurations) take precautions to prevent misuse.

Is this a legitimate question? Is that a fair question? Firstly, I can't vote for either YES or NO to implement this via phpBB-standard. ;)

Which security measures are therefore necessary to rule out misuse? Or are there none that are necessary?

Personally, I am somewhat suspicious of the procedure.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 pm
Which security measures are therefore necessary to rule out misuse? Or are there none that are necessary?
Well, Amazon limit this 'feature' to mobile login only, where the potential for shared device usage and opportunity to install something sinister is significantly less.

I think implementing to mobile resolutions is within the scope of this suggestion.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 pm
And what is the behavior if several people use the same PC, mobile phone, tablet, etc.? In these times, this question is unanswered for me, as I basically cannot assume that system users (own or other system configurations) take precautions to prevent misuse.
The same? Why would need to be any different? I don't see an issue here. What kind of misuse you have in mind?

The real issue is with auto fill-in feature that browsers provide if more then one person is using a single pc etc which op request has nothing to do with.
Did I helped You? Consider a donation. I don't drink 🍺 :lol:
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!

Return to “phpBB Ideas”