php upgrade help

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
HackNtheBox

php upgrade help

Post by HackNtheBox »

hi guys
my brother coded a forum about 10 years ago .........Board version: 3.0.8 and it included a bunch of mods, my brother died shortly afterwards and I couldnt update the php versions due to the mods and hand coding required to complete the php upgrade....its above my pay grade

so I have ignored the php updates..the hosting company tells me the php version will no longer be supported and my forum wont operate properly in January

questions
(1) I understand there will be php errors if the board is used, what I want to know is if I set permissions so no one can post any more will the board at least display properly so I can use it as an archive for the technical data stored there over the years

(2) Is it even possible to start a NEW forum and transfer membership, posts, etc to the new board

(3) are there any companies that are reliable and knowledgeable to be hired to do the php upgrade to my old existing forum, if so what should I expect to pay

any insight would be greatly appreciated
have a great day
Last edited by thecoalman on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB discussion.
SpIdErPiGgY
Name: Andy Dm

Re: php upgrade help

Post by SpIdErPiGgY »

phpBB NL Extension translations, also on request.
--> Click Here: Myarea51secrets.com <--
HackNtheBox

Post by HackNtheBox »

thanks you for the fast reply, however my skill level doesnt even allow me to understand the level of conversation in that link

can someone reply to my dummie questions so I know if Im sh*t out of luck or are there remedies to my problem, Im a complete newb and as stated above I will need to hire a coder IF THERE IS A REMEDY

thanks
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

1. Chances are slim to none.
2. Yes
3. No idea what people charge but usually it's a fairly easy process. The guide is pretty straight forward if you want to attempt it yourself. If you can't or do not want to do it yourself you can post request in wanted section.

viewforum.php?f=656
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
HackNtheBox

Post by HackNtheBox »

thecoalman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:18 pm 1. Chances are slim to none.
2. Yes
3. No idea what people charge but usually it's a fairly easy process. The guide is pretty straight forward if you want to attempt it yourself. If you can't or do not want to do it yourself you can post request in wanted section.

viewforum.php?f=656
thanks friend...you made my day...my heart sank when the hosting company told me the news our board would not work proper in Jan

anyone competent and qualified interested in updating our php version Id be interested in hearing from you.... keep in mind we have a bunch of mods that would not allow just an easy update it requires some hand coding

Im not comfortable doing this and will post in the wanted as you suggested
cheers
david63

Post by david63 »

HackNtheBox wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:18 pm we have a bunch of mods that would not allow just an easy update it requires some hand coding
Unless those "MODS" are extension then they will not work with the latest version and in most cases they will not be able to even be "hand coded"
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If you wish to make a request for paid support use the wanted section, thanks.

viewforum.php?f=656
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”