[split from] Youtube code isn't working anymore?

Get help developing custom BBCodes or request one.
WWu777

[split from] Youtube code isn't working anymore?

Post by WWu777 »

Which YouTube BBCode works with phpbb 3.2? I just upgraded to it and my YouTube embedded videos don't show anymore. Does phpbb 3.2 require a different YouTube BBCode?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: [split from] Youtube code isn't working anymore?

Post by KevC »

Just use the media embed extension. You don't need BBcode any more.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

KevC wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:52 am Just use the media embed extension. You don't need BBcode any more.
It's not that easy. What about all the hundreds of videos already embedded in my forum? They already have YouTube tags around them and have turned into links. A new plug in with media tags will only apply to new videos. You forgot about that. :P
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Not at all. Most forum users never go back more than 1 or 2 pages in a forum. Posts older than a few months rarely get looked at again. They can easily copy the link if they really really want to see it, assuming the video is still even on youtube.

In a lot of cases the presence of the bbcode around the link has no effect and the URL is parsed anyway.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks »

I just installed the media embed extension on my new 3.2 forum, but as soon as I changed the settings (there are only 2) my forum crashed, and it took a bit of swearing to get it removed again.

I'd rather have a BB-code for Youtube vids than an extension. Is there a tutorial on how to get a new BBcode for Youtube for 3.2?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Why not just post to the support section of the extension and ask what might have happened. It might not be related to that at all.
Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks »

Because I was just interested in getting the Youtube BBcode on my forum working as it did before. I downloaded and installed the media embed extension because I thought it would make my life easier. Instead, it'll open up a whole new can of worms. If an extension doesn't work right of the bat, I don't need it. The problem I have is with a BBcode that doesn't work anymore. Pursuing a problem with the extension would be having another problem ;-)

My forum has been installed brand new as of yesterday, so if the extension causes problems, it's more likely the issue is with the extension, rather than my forum.

So the question remains: how can I put in a BBcode that will embed a Youtube video?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If you got a white page it's more likely to be a server issue actually. Many people are using that extension with no problems at all.
Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks »

That may be true, yet, I don't have any problems or white screens if I don't install that extension.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If you look at the server error log it should tell you why you had the white screen.

Getting that working will be much less bother than a BBcode that can easily break if youtube change their URL format yet again.
Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks »

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and came across another post about the plugin, where someone remarked to first delete the old Youtube BBcode. I did still have the old youtube BBcode on my forum when I installed the media embed plugin. I deleted the BBcode after installing and checked the empty Youtube box in the plugin's setting. When I clicked OK, the forum crashed.

So, I got the plugin removed and deactivated and first removed the youtube BBcode. I then reactivated the plugin and the forum did not crash. Hopefully it's working fine now.

It would've been nice if the install text had made a mention of first having to delete the old BBcode.

Return to “Custom BBCode Development and Requests”