How can one embed a phpbb post elsewhere?

Get help developing custom BBCodes or request one.
noemon

How can one embed a phpbb post elsewhere?

Post by noemon »

Like for example how we embded a twitter post, or a facebook post or an instagram post in phpbb. How can we make it so that our forum users or guests can embed phpbb posts into their facebook/twitter as well as their blogs or sites?

This I believe would greatly enhance the visibility of our forums as well as propagate phpbb as an alternative social media.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How can one embed a phpbb post elsewhere?

Post by Mick »

noemon wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 amHow can we make it so that our forum users or guests can embed phpbb posts into their facebook/twitter as well as their blogs or sites?
This would be better asked at whatever social media support sites you're referring to.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
DoctorMason

Post by DoctorMason »

To a beginner like myself, that reply is of no value and here's why... Consider how many options you'd have just contacting all of the sharing places in popular scripts like the one from miniOrange. Besides that, there are links to scripts such as this one https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/shareon that may help out or at least give more leads to follow that don't require you registering into 20-30 different sites to ask the webmasters about social sharing.

Additionally the response indicates there are no social sharing functions on the board run by the guy giving the advice. This is my 1st post and I came here ONLY to search for the exact same solution; sharing my posts.

Let's hope others posting here have more useful replies.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

DoctorMason wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:52 am Additionally the response indicates there are no social sharing functions on the board run by the guy giving the advice.
That's a strange conclusion, the foundation on which it was reached is unclear to me to put it mildly.
Additionally, you yourself mention you don't want to register into 20-30 different sites to ask the webmasters about social sharing, yet you find it evident (axiomatic?) that 1 site (phpBB.com in this case) should have the answers related to those 20-30 sites.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

And also note, this topic is posted as a custom bbcode request not an extension request.
    " - Harmony Cobel
noemon

Post by noemon »

Mick wrote:This would be better asked at whatever social media support sites you're referring to.
It is quite irrelevant to these sites, the issue lies with phpbb not with them and can only be solved by phpbb. When you post a twitter link somewhere that link has a standardised format, it will appear the same on phpbb, the same on wordpress, on blogs, newspapers and so on and forth, when you post a phpbb link somewhere it simply appears as a good old link, if you want to embed content, you will have to post an ugly screenshot, which is not interactive.

Suppose a newspaper wants to share content from your forum in their articles, like they share content from facebook and twitter within their articles, do you reckon they should build custom code just for your sake? Or do you believe that say for example the Independent newspaper should build the custom code for phpbb to make such a thing possible and that then forum owners should approach every single newspaper and site in the planet? Suppose for the sake of argument that we even took up your suggestion, nothing would be uniform anyway. On one site you would appear like a tomato and on another like a potato and on another like celery.

As a new user I am not sure which is the best place to post this. But we would appreciate help with this issue which aside from enhancing our forums, it will massively enhance phpbb itself.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

There's an extension called Media Embed which handles Twiiter, and many more, on phpBB boards automatically. To post phpBB topics on Twitter or FB the social media sites should have a similar extension to handle phpBB posts. Anyway, I suggest you make an Extension Request.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “Custom BBCode Development and Requests”