Word Censoring & [email] BBCode

Get help developing custom BBCodes or request one.
AndyAero95

Word Censoring & [email] BBCode

Post by AndyAero95 »

Hi folks. New here, but have been dipping into the system side of things for a while now.

An instance has cropped up that we feel requires a certain email address being hidden using BBCode.

Sounds simple enough by using the [email] code, as we have already done on relevant information posts, yet when this is used within the Word Censoring feature, it just shows as [ email=blah@blahblah .com]Email[/email], rather than just the intended Email?

Is there a way round this, as the current topics containing have now been sorted, but if anyone enters it again, we'd rather it was automatically converted to require a user action, rather than a "Bot" identifying the term?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Word Censoring & [email] BBCode

Post by HiFiKabin »

Email Me

Code: Select all

[[email protected]]Email Me[/email]

works perfectly, but it will still be scrapable by bots if that is your concern
david63

Post by david63 »

HiFiKabin wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 am works perfectly, but it will still be scrapable by bots if that is your concern
I suspect that the OP is wanting [email protected] to be replaced with [email protected]
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
AndyAero95

Post by AndyAero95 »

david63 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 am
HiFiKabin wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 am works perfectly, but it will still be scrapable by bots if that is your concern
I suspect that the OP is wanting [email protected] to be replaced with [email protected]
David, that is indeed the case. Assuming there is a way, if this was changed within the phpBB software using the swear filter, would that mean the actual email address isn't scrapable by bots?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

Sorry, I did indeed misunderstand.

I am not sure what you are trying to do.

Change all emails addresses from whatever they are now to one specific address?

Change each email address to a new unique one?

Hide all posted email adresses?

or?
AndyAero95

Post by AndyAero95 »

Just hide one address. This address is the direct contact to the moderation team (automatically forwarded to the team members), which recently seems to have been spammed. We're obviously all clever enough not to fall for it, or follow any links, but we'd prefer not to all receiving unnecessary junk mail due to the visibility of the address?
david63

Post by david63 »

AndyAero95 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:55 pm Just hide one address. This address is the direct contact to the moderation team (automatically forwarded to the team members), which recently seems to have been spammed. We're obviously all clever enough not to fall for it, or follow any links, but we'd prefer not to all receiving unnecessary junk mail due to the visibility of the address?
Perhaps I am missing something simple - why not just change that email address?
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
AndyAero95

Post by AndyAero95 »

:lol:
Because the new address will still need to be made public, so people know how to contact the Mod/Admin team. Using the [email] code hides it in posts we are aware of, but if it can be automatically replaced by the swear filter, then any future posts are also rectified.
david63

Post by david63 »

AndyAero95 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:14 pm but if it can be automatically replaced by the swear filter,
It can - I have just tested it. If, for example, your email is [email protected] then in the Word censor enter the replacement that you want. It will replace it in either plain text or if it is within a bbCode
David

AndyAero95

Post by AndyAero95 »

When I try entering the code into the word censor, it just shows as (without the spaces obviously) [ c][ c]me@ email.com[ /c][ /c]. Does this make sense? Am I missing something important here?
david63

Post by david63 »

This is what I entered
phpbb_censor.jpg
David

AndyAero95

Post by AndyAero95 »

Sorry, you misunderstood. I don't want to change the email, or what email is shown? I want it to show in a manner so that it's not scrapable/detectable to bots used by spammers, yet still readable by a human. That's the easy bit, as our own posts can just be changed to an [img], yet if someone else legitimately enters it, I'm looking for the word censor to convert it so it can only be read by a human, similar to [email protected], if you see what I mean?

Thanks for the assistance so far
david63

Post by david63 »

How about creating the replacement with spaces in it?
David

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

The problem is now that the email has been scraped, it will find its way in to all the scum databased out there.

The only suggestion I have is to dump the old address and get the moderators to start using a new one written as moderators [at] myaddress.com and then use the word censor to change the existing email address to email address no longer in use or something like that (it works, but still shows as a mailto link.

You can't just use the word censor to replace the @ with [at] (just tried it)

Return to “Custom BBCode Development and Requests”