Custom BBCodes [Deprecated]

Get help developing custom BBCodes or request one.
thebrainshift

Re: Custom BBCodes

Post by thebrainshift »

I have tried the youtube codes and all I see in the post are the links i posted as opposed to the video :(
triadruid

Post by triadruid »

I have a tag which is essentially [vote]{TEXT}[/vote] for informal, non-poll-based votting; it's a simple text substitution that sticks in bold tags and a colon, so they can be tracked easier. Vote: triadruid

The difficulty I've run into is that some users want to use the unvote version of it with or without the name, and without it they end up with Unvote: , Vote: triadruid which looks kind of silly. Is there any way to make the colon conditional on there being some {TEXT} between the tags?
Acorn

Post by Acorn »

thebrainshift wrote:I have tried the youtube codes and all I see in the post are the links i posted as opposed to the video :(
My Youtube code (which works!) is:

Code: Select all

BBCode usage:  [youtube]{TEXT}[/youtube]

HTML replacement:  <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{TEXT}"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{TEXT}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Help line: Put the tags around the last part of the Youtube address - the bit after the equals sign.
The crucial thing is making sure you use the right part of the Youtube address. For example, with this url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WET9n3OG ... re=channel you would only put WET9n3OGH1M&feature=channel or even just WET9n3OGH1M between the tags.
Getting braver all the time. :D
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

@Acorn: You should use SIMPLETEXT instead of TEXT, though it's not going to allow you to use "WET9n3OGH1M&feature=channel."
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
Acorn

Post by Acorn »

It makes things a lot easier for non-technical members as it is though - and for me, not having to try and explain which bit of the Youtube url they have to extract!
Getting braver all the time. :D
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Acorn wrote:It makes things a lot easier for non-technical members as it is though - and for me, not having to try and explain which bit of the Youtube url they have to extract!
The point is that using {TEXT} within an HTML tag opens the possibility of a security risk. Somebody could try to close your tag and open another one.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

thebrainshift wrote:I have tried the youtube codes and all I see in the post are the links i posted as opposed to the video :(
Then you are not using it right. Show us a post on your board where this happened, and we'll explain what's wrong.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Acorn wrote:It makes things a lot easier for non-technical members as it is though - and for me, not having to try and explain which bit of the Youtube url they have to extract!
And leaves you wide open to security exploits.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
thebrainshift

Post by thebrainshift »

this is what comes up when i attempt it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AJmKkU5POA[/youtube]

is it the helpline text i should change? I just typed youtube there :( excuse my lack of knowledge, this is the first time i am ever dealing with my own forum or website. :(
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

thebrainshift wrote:this is what comes up when i attempt it

is it the helpline text i should change? I just typed youtube there :( excuse my lack of knowledge, this is the first time i am ever dealing with my own forum or website. :(
Which youtube BBCode did you use?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

thebrainshift wrote:this is what comes up when i attempt it

is it the helpline text i should change? I just typed youtube there :(
No, the help line is only for displaying tooltips to the user; it has nothing to do with the code generated.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Akexis

Post by Akexis »

I've been crawling all over the board and the internet in general for hours (and those of you who have ever began the intrepid adventure of hosting your own board know I mean literally). I can't find a way to add tables to my board. I noticed it mentioned earlier in this topic on the first few pages, I got to about page 16 before I skipped to the end, but it seems the people who asked were completely ignored.

I've crawled over the MOD section with no luck, other forums and have found plenty of stuff for phpbb2.

Is this something that's being worked on/developed? Can someone send me a link on where to go for my answers?

Also, I wanted to thank everyone for their work on the custom BBCode stuff. It's been a tremendous help. Cheers!
Dr DBW

Post by Dr DBW »

In the search field that states "Search this topic.." at the top of the page, put in "tables". Number of solutions have been posted in this thread already, probably why no one replies to further questions, since the possible solutions are already there.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

Akexis wrote:I've been crawling all over the board and the internet in general for hours (and those of you who have ever began the intrepid adventure of hosting your own board know I mean literally). I can't find a way to add tables to my board. I noticed it mentioned earlier in this topic on the first few pages, I got to about page 16 before I skipped to the end, but it seems the people who asked were completely ignored.

I've crawled over the MOD section with no luck, other forums and have found plenty of stuff for phpbb2.

Is this something that's being worked on/developed? Can someone send me a link on where to go for my answers?

Also, I wanted to thank everyone for their work on the custom BBCode stuff. It's been a tremendous help. Cheers!
There are a few in this topic, searching for "table tr td" will narrow it down as much as possible. Tables are a somewhat complicated bbcode since it requires many parts, which is probably why it isn't posted over and over. You may want to try this one first: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p4078025
Due to the number of parts required, the layout can break if users don't use it correctly.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Hi,

Is there a simple HTML replacement for using a bb code for blockquote?

I don't need colors, but what I do need is the same amount of space on both sides of the text having blockquote applied. I don't need any particular width of open space (I can change that later), but what I need help with is the initial coding.

Using the List BB code won't work as I've seen mentioned before because it only indents the left side of a paragraph. The right margin keeps traveling out to the right side of a post rather than being indented as well.

Could someone please help? Thanks.

Return to “Custom BBCode Development and Requests”