Custom BBCodes [Deprecated]

Get help developing custom BBCodes or request one.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Custom BBCodes

Post by Oyabun1 »

lunargamingnet wrote:Looking for a custom bbcode to embed twitch.tv livefeeds... I noticed there's every other livestream code in the thread except for twitch.tv! Anyone help?
Post an example of their embed code and someone may be able to help you.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
noggin

BBCode URL setting

Post by noggin »

Is there any way I can modify the code to open the URL in a new tab or window in the popular browsers.
Hippie459MN

Re: BBCode URL setting

Post by Hippie459MN »

noggin wrote:Is there any way I can modify the code to open the URL in a new tab or window in the popular browsers.
While not a BBCode there is a great mod to do just that.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/prime_links/

Otherwise you will need to make a whole new BBCode to do that.
noggin

Post by noggin »

Thank Hippie but it's a BBCode I want !
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

noggin wrote:Is there any way I can modify the code to open the URL in a new tab or window in the popular browsers.
You mean like the EXTERNAL BBCode from earlier in this topic?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what code? you havent' told us what you are trying to do.

if you want all urls posted to open in a new window that would require a MOD. if you want a specific bbcode to open it's link in a new window, then you simply add the proper html code to the html replacement section.

usually it would be added to the <a tag as something like this:
target="_blank"

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
what code? you havent' told us what you are trying to do.
There are basically three things that he could want:
  1. Making all URL BBCocdes open in new windows, which can be done by reading the Making Link Forum Links Open in New Windows Knowledge Base article.
  2. Creating a custom BBCode to allow opening certain links in new windows, which is what the EXTERNAL BBCode that I linked to several hours ago does.
  3. Making only external URL BBCodes open in a new window, which is what I think the Prime LInks MOD that Hippie linked to does.
Only the second possibility is really appropriate for this topic; there other two are MODs.

Of course, as I've said many times here, opening links in new windows/tabs by default is generally a bad thing. You generally don't know what your user wants to do, so working the "normal" way is the best default.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

don't really have to have this rant here. but.....

opening in the same window is not the "normal" way. that was changed a few years ago because the w3 decided they knew what was best for all the users. everyone had to get used to the "new" way of having links open in the same window.

just the other day, I found out how to make my scroll wheel button open links in a new window when using firefox. I knew there had to be a way so I didn't have to do all that right clicking to do it.
heck, firefox even changed the order of where the "open in new window" and "open in new tab" things were in the right click menu trying to force people to use tabs instead of windows.

blah blah blah,

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: opening in the same window is not the "normal" way. that was changed a few years ago because the w3 decided they knew what was best for all the users. everyone had to get used to the "new" way of having links open in the same window.
Sorry, I meant "normal" as in "how standard (with no target attribute) HTML links work", not "how phpBB 2.x used to work". Read the Jakob Nielssen study that I linked to in my linked post.

While this is a bit off-topic, I want the OP to understand the problems of opening new links in different windows/tabs except in very rare circumstances (like displaying Privacy Policies/Terms of Service pages in a pop-up window).

Steve
noggin

Post by noggin »

Thanks very much for all your comments and suggestions.....I think I'll just leave it to the members to use the right-click/scroll button technique, working on the principle of ... 'If it's not bust don't fix it'
Wordsworth

Post by Wordsworth »

First, I have to say thanks for share this with us.I've been messing around with adding form tags with BBCode. Has great scorn already been heaped on this idea in a different thread that someone could point me to? I assume the security risks might be too high, even in a private forum but it would be nice to have a simpler creation method for small forms.
Hollister uk stores just have a nice atmosphere about them
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Wordsworth wrote:First, I have to say thanks for share this with us.I've been messing around with adding form tags with BBCode. Has great scorn already been heaped on this idea in a different thread that someone could point me to? I assume the security risks might be too high, even in a private forum but it would be nice to have a simpler creation method for small forms.
A form to do what? What are you trying to achieve?

Standard phpBB doesn't allow HTML to be added directly to a post so using BBCodes for forms would likely require separate BBCodes to be created for each form element. Also, because custom BBCodes can present problems when nested it may be necessary to create separate BBCodes for each opening and closing tag. In addition, BBCodes don't allow for optional elements within them, so every input field in each BBCode would need to be completed every time. It may be possible to create a form that way but it would be very difficult and time consuming to set up at to use.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve there a few different MODs that would likely be more useful.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
HomeRacingWorld

Post by HomeRacingWorld »

So what I am after is a simple code that mimics the pop up window for pasting URL and IMG links into.

Having to type out the link name is tedious to say the least, especially for most of my members.

Yes, I know abbcode has them, but that mod will not work for me.

I just want the URL and IMG options.

Can this be done?

Thanks
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

HomeRacingWorld wrote:So what I am after is a simple code that mimics the pop up window for pasting URL and IMG links into.

Having to type out the link name is tedious to say the least, especially for most of my members.
They still have to type (or copy/paste) the URL and link name. All a pop-up box saves them from is typing [url][/url] or [url][/url].

Regardless, what you need is a MOD, not a Custom BBCode. If a MOD doesn't already exist, you should probably ask in the MOD Requests forum.

Steve
Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

HomeRacingWorld wrote:So what I am after is a simple code that mimics the pop up window for pasting URL and IMG links into.

Yes, I know abbcode has them, but that mod will not work for me.

I just want the URL and IMG options.

Can this be done?

Thanks
Pony99CA wrote:

They still have to type (or copy/paste) the URL and link name. All a pop-up box saves them from is typing [url][/url] or [url][/url].

Regardless, what you need is a MOD, not a Custom BBCode. If a MOD doesn't already exist, you should probably ask in the MOD Requests forum.

Steve
Steve is completely correct, You will need a mod to do that. I personally dont really like the pop up all that much myself.

But i have in the past used both of these mods and they still do work but remember they are both abandoned.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=723495
and
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2093815

Hope that helps

Return to “Custom BBCode Development and Requests”