[3.2][RC] Auto db Backup

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
DSMFool

Re: [3.2][RC] Auto db Backup

Post by DSMFool » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Hello,

I actually wasn't aware how phpBB was calling the cron jobs. Is it actually modifying a crontab file or is it just an internal phpbb 'cron' function that's called?

Either way, I did notice that it has been executing the cron jobs. It did in fact just require visitors/posts and since I was the only one monitoring the board yesterday these conditions weren't met.

I really want to thank you for your time. I appreciate it a lot.

Midnighter07

Post by Midnighter07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 am

I accidentally enabled the out-of-date pico version and now get the "Catchable error..." message described at the start of this thread.

However I have no way to "disable" the old one in order to delete it and install the new compatible version. Any attempt to access my phpBB forum just goes to that same error message, I have no apparent way to correct this via phpBB's admin panels.

There was a reply posted about doing the correction manually via phpMyAdmin to correct or delete a table (bb_ext..) but my searches don't come up with that in any of the tables or files in phpMyAdmin, nor does the poster give any details about just what they did that corrected this.

I really need to get the board restored ASAP and I cannot locate how to correct this from "outside" since the site is effectively shut down.

You can view it at cicistreasures.com/forum to see the message and confirm what I'm dealing with.

I'd really appreciate a few step-by-step details on how to correct this so I can at least get the basic board back up and logged in, then I can decide for myself if I want to mess with this particular extension again or do without. Thanks!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 am

David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Midnighter07

Post by Midnighter07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Yeah unfortunately none of these worked.

First: any of the instructions for how to disable that involve accessing the ACP, I can't use. The board is literally utterly inaccessible because of this one broken Auto Backup extension.

Second: the only instructions, the last ones that provide a php file to disable via uploading to the root by FTP, I copied it exactly, saved it as ext_disable.php, uploaded to the same root as the phpBB config.php file. Then I navigated my browser directly to that file...and still get blocked by the "catchable error" message. You can see it here. And if I try to navigate directly to the ext_disable.php file, I get this.

There was some mention of being able to go and manually fix some data in one or more of the tables directly via phpMyAdmin, but no details actually given about what those steps were that were successful for that user.

I'm completely and totally blocked out of the board and any access, cannot even view it. This plugin has somehow rewritten a few key places that now I can't simply delete or overwrite. I can't even simply restore from a backup, because all the backups apparently require that I first access the ACP and restore from there.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:45 pm

You can try this

Make a backup of your database before attempting

go into phpmyadmin and into the, usually called, phpbb_ext table. Within it you will see

Code: Select all

pico/autodbbackup
and under ext_active it will be 1, change that to a zero then via FTP delete the entire production folder.

Try your forum again. If you can then login, go into the ACP and under extension choose "delete data" from the autobackup extension and once done remove the extension, again via FTP, from the extension directory.

I just tried these exact steps and was able to get back onto my test forum.

PS you probably should have posted this in the extension support area instead of within this development topic.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Midnighter07

Post by Midnighter07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:31 pm

I did try posting there and for some reason my post disappeared; posting here was the only time it 'stuck.'

But thank you, I'll give it a shot, at this point I've got nothing to lose. And I at least already have a gzipped backup, just can't restore it until I at least restore the ACP, lol. I appreciate the help, I seriously do.

eunaumtenhoid

Post by eunaumtenhoid » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 pm

language files changed?
ext_autodbbackup.php >> ext_enable_error.php?
My translations of the extensions for Brazilian Portuguese
https://github.com/phpBBTraducoes

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:09 pm

eunaumtenhoid wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 pm
language files changed?
What does that mean?
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

eunaumtenhoid

Post by eunaumtenhoid » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 pm

currently the language file and this ext_enable_error.php? for translation

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:38 pm

eunaumtenhoid wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 pm
currently the language file and this ext_enable_error.php? for translation
Still don't understand
David

eunaumtenhoid

Post by eunaumtenhoid » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:41 pm

in the download, the translation files are different

toastedoat

Post by toastedoat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:56 pm

I ran into the same type of issue after upgrading to 3.2 and forgetting to disable the old version, here is the SQL query that I executed to disable the extension so that I could even get into the board (I use webmin server to connect to the MySQL instance):

select * from phpbb_ext (this got me the extension name in the database)
UPDATE phpbb_ext SET ext_active = 0 WHERE ext_name = 'pico/autodbbackup'

Then I did a manual purge of phpBB3/cache (everything except index.htm)

Obviously you can modify the above for any other extensions causing grief after the upgrade

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:38 pm

toastedoat wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:56 pm
Obviously you can modify the above for any other extensions causing grief after the upgrade
Unless you know what you are doing running a query like that may well create more problems than it solves.
David

Galixte de EzCom
Name: Raphaël M.

Post by Galixte de EzCom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 pm

eunaumtenhoid wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 pm
language files changed?
Yes, on 5 july 2017 david had updated the language files: https://github.com/david63/david63-auto ... 68c3897cc1. But, what’s your question (what do you want to know) ?
Communau EzCom
Image « Traductions d’extensions & styles pour phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x ».
ImageLists of all extensions identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.
ImageLists of all styles identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.

accs-p

Post by accs-p » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Last night, I installed this from the GIT tarball into ext/david63/autodbbackup. I set it up to run at 0910 GMT (system time, Admin user time and all user times are GMT). I looked this morning and found no backup. I performed a manual backup, and it worked properly. I responded to a thread, and still no backup.

The rest of the settings are:
  • Enable auto database backup: Enabled
  • File type: gzip
  • Backup frequency: 24 hours
  • Stored backups: 25
  • Optimize the database before performing the backup: Enabled
The only cron setting I found was under ACP -> GENERAL -> SERVER CONFIGURATION -> Server settings. In this screen, the Run periodic tasks from system cron: parameter is set to No.

I changed the Backup frequency to 1 hour, set the time to something in the future (more than an hour after the latest backup), waited until after then and posted. Still no backup.

What's wrong here? Is it a setting I made or a problem with the extension?

--------------------------------------

Also, I found something that appears to be a bug.

After I make a change to the settings for auto database backup, the system displays the screen informing me that the settings have changed. When I click on the Back to previous page link, it shows me a blank screen, with a URL of http://***REDACTED***/adm/. The SID, mode and module are not in the URL.

Return to “Extensions in Development”