[3.2][RC] Empty Post Subjects

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
___Martin

[3.2][RC] Empty Post Subjects

Post by ___Martin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Extension Name: Empty Post Subjects
Author: ___Martin

Extension Description: Empties the 'Subject' when (quick) replying to a topic. Modifies the text of the Last Post link on the board index or when viewing a forum to handle empty post subjects. Also modifies the search result titles to handle empty post subjects.

Extension Version: 1.0.0 (release candidate, submitted to extension database: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _subjects/)

Requirements: phpBB 3.2

Features:
Empties the Subject when (quick) replying to a topic. Two settings are added in the ACP:
  • Empties the Subject field in post editor when replying to a topic.
  • Empties the Subject field in the quick reply editor when viewing a topic.
Modifies the text of the Last Post link on the board index or when viewing a forum to handle empty post subjects, because in this case phpBB by default displays no link. Possible settings in ACP:
  • The Last Post link displays the subject of the last post (default, this conforms to the phpBB default),
  • it displays the title of the topic containing the last post, or
  • it displays the post subject if it is not empty and the topic title otherwise.
Note: the following option must be enabled to display Last Post links: ACP > Board Configuration > Board Features > Display subject of last added post on forum list

Also modifies the search result titles (when displaying search results as posts) to handle empty post subjects. Possible settings in ACP:
  • The search result titles display the subject of the post found by the search (default, this conforms to the phpBB default),
  • they display the title of the topic containing the found post, or
  • they display the post subject if it is not empty and the topic title otherwise.
This extension merges the previous extensions EmptySubjectsOnReply and CustomLastPost into one extension, and adds the feature of modifying search result titles.

Screenshots:

Development Repository: https://github.com/Mar-tin-G/EmptyPostSubjects

Extension Download:
Download at the development repository linked above via the "Download ZIP" button, or use this direct link: https://github.com/Mar-tin-G/EmptyPostS ... /1.0.0.zip
Create the following folder structure in your board, and extract the files and folders from the downloaded ZIP file there: /ext/martin/emptypostsubjects.
Activate the extension in the Admin Control Panel (ACP) on the Customise > Manage Extensions page.
Configure the extension in the ACP on the Extensions > Empty Post Subjects > Settings page.

Credits: This extension bases upon the MOD NV advanced last topic titles by nickvergessen, which the author abandoned. Thanks nickvergessen.
Last edited by ___Martin on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Galixte de EzCom
Name: Raphaël M.

Re: [BETA] Empty Post Subjects

Post by Galixte de EzCom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi,

here the french language pack.
Communau EzCom
📖 « Traductions d’extensions & styles pour phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x ».
📋 Lists of all extensions identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.
📋 Lists of all styles identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.

Image Tu as un forum et tu veux aussi un site web ? Regarde par ici.

svennson

Post by svennson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Ah, exactly what I needed, would it be possible to per default set the topic title @ board index ? Generally drop support for reply subjects entirely ?

The extension seems to slow down the board index rather heavy ?

Galixte de EzCom

Post by Galixte de EzCom » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi,

thanks for your feedback, what is the difference between the SQL queries ?
Communau EzCom

svennson

Post by svennson » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:29 am

Galixte de EzCom wrote:Hi,
thanks for your feedback, what is the difference between the SQL queries ?
Wel, I only peeked at the code, but for the front index, it makes an extra query for each forum to get the title name; On the board I work with (300k posts) this slowed the frontpage rather noticeable, but it has a 60+ forums tho ... so I guess its +60 queries at least; But still that seems like not enought to explain the extra loading time...

Also on the post reply I notice the subject is still visible ... I don't want to give users the possibility to enter a subject in a reply.

Galixte de EzCom

Post by Galixte de EzCom » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:51 pm

This extension QuickReply Reloaded give the possibility to allow or not to edit the subject of message.
Communau EzCom

___Martin

Post by ___Martin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:12 pm

svennson wrote:Wel, I only peeked at the code, but for the front index, it makes an extra query for each forum to get the title name; On the board I work with (300k posts) this slowed the frontpage rather noticeable, but it has a 60+ forums tho ... so I guess its +60 queries at least; But still that seems like not enought to explain the extra loading time...
Thanks for your feedback, I will look into this problem.

see: https://github.com/Mar-tin-G/EmptyPostSubjects/issues/3

___Martin

Post by ___Martin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Version 1.0.0-beta2 released.

Please feel free to download and test the new version:
https://github.com/Mar-tin-G/EmptyPostS ... -beta2.zip
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

There are no new features in this release, only code refactoring and cleanup, and the addition of unit tests.
Please note that the required phpBB version has increased to version 3.1.4, because Empty Post Subjects v1.0.0-beta2 makes use of an event introduced in this phpBB version.

svennson wrote:Wel, I only peeked at the code, but for the front index, it makes an extra query for each forum to get the title name; On the board I work with (300k posts) this slowed the frontpage rather noticeable, but it has a 60+ forums tho ... so I guess its +60 queries at least; But still that seems like not enought to explain the extra loading time...
Sorry, I am not able to reproduce this behaviour.

When enabling phpBB debug mode and watching the "query count" within the boards footer, the query count does not increase when activating the extension.
As the extension does not execute queries at all, but rather extends one of phpBBs default queries to include one more table and one more column, this is as expected.

After enabling the extension, the very first call of the forum index page has a noticable higher query count, but the query count drops down to the normal value after the second call. I guess this has to do with caching.

Please check the query count again on your forum while the extension is enabled, and give some details to reproduce, and I will be glad to help and look into it. :)

TB54

Post by TB54 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:25 am

Hello !
(sorry for my bad english, i'm french...)

Thanks for the extension, wich helped me a lot !

A suggestion, for future updates : in the extension control panel, coold we have the choice, if the subject title is displayed in the board index (instead of the last message title), to make it link to the subject itself, and not to the last message ?

Because we can already link to the last message with the little icon (the square with an arrow) next to the author name.

___Martin

Re: [3.2][RC] Empty Post Subjects

Post by ___Martin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:21 pm

TB54 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:25 am
A suggestion, for future updates : in the extension control panel, coold we have the choice, if the subject title is displayed in the board index (instead of the last message title), to make it link to the subject itself, and not to the last message ?

Because we can already link to the last message with the little icon (the square with an arrow) next to the author name.
Hi TB54, thanks for your suggestion! I think this is a good idea. I opened an issue on the GitHub page of this extension: https://github.com/Mar-tin-G/EmptyPostSubjects/issues/4

Unfortunately this is currently not possible, as both links (post subject and the square icon) always point to the same target. I opened an issue at phpBB, maybe the board can be extended to allow implementing your suggestion. I will release a new version containing this suggestion if phpBB is extended that way. :)

Return to “Extensions in Development”