[ABD] Favicon

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Татьяна5
Name: Tatiana

[ABD] Favicon

Post by Татьяна5 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:33 am

Extension Name: Favicon
Author: Татьяна5

Extension Description:: Add favicon on your board
Extension Version:: 0.0.3

Requirements:
  • phpBB 3.1.0-RC3 or later
Development repository: https://github.com/Tatiana5/Favicon

Extension Download: Download button named "Download ZIP" can be found at the development repository page.
Installation: Extension files should be extracted to /ext/tatiana5/favicon/ folder. Upload your favicon.ico or favicon.png to /ext/tatiana5/favicon/ folder. Then the extension should be enabled in ACP as usually.

Precaution: As the ext is still in development, major changes still can be applied which could require full extension purging and reinstallation, so use it on your own risk. DO NOT install it on production boards. For testing purposes only.

VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Re: [DEV] Favicon

Post by VSE » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:06 am

I don't see why such an overly complicated extension is needed here, for two reasons:

Fav icons and touch icons just need to be placed in your root directories these days, and they are done. There is no longer a need for any link tags in HTML to get them working, and that's especially true with the modern browsers phpBB requires.

Second, phpBb is planning to ship with a fav icon of its own, at least there is a ticket for one.
Dictated but not read.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:12 am

VSE wrote:Second, phpBb is planning to ship with a fav icon of its own, at least there is a ticket for one.
If it does then I hope it does not overwrite whatever is there now.

Is it also going to have the myriad of apple touch icons that are required these days?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Татьяна5

Post by Татьяна5 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 am

VSE
What about .png favicons? Apple touch icons?
Second, phpBb is planning to ship with a fav icon of its own, at least there is a ticket for one.
I did not know about it, thanks. When the favicon will be added - I will remove code for .ico favicon

VSE

Post by VSE » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:38 am

If they're in the root of your site, then there's no HTML code needed for fav icons or apple touch.

https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/touch-icons
Dictated but not read.

VSE

Post by VSE » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:43 am

By the way, any icons they use could be lost whenever they update the extension, since you're having them put them inside directories in your extension.

For my money it's just better for users to place the icons in the root and manually edit the HTML if they need to, rather than eat up ram/database resources with the overhead of an entire extension just for this purpose.
Dictated but not read.

Татьяна5

Post by Татьяна5 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 am

Ext should not upload files to the root of the site, then I use html
Most users do not know what size favicon and how the extension (.png, .ico, etc.) is needed for Apple, in the ext is an example of favicon (and ability for enable/disable apple favicon)

rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Actually, this ext initially was a kind of Tatiana's training in developing extensions, so as it was developed it exists for that reason ;)

VSE

Post by VSE » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Well if it was a training ext, there's a lot of helpful input I can add to it:

The first migration file:

* delete effectively_installed() (this is only for extensions that were previously MODs, and have made db changes that this migration will be attempting to make)

* delete depend_on() (adding an ACP module and config vars have no prior dependencies)

* delete unused update and revert schema methods

* do not store the version in the db (unless you are using the version number somewhere, do not store it. This was needed in 3.0.x because of how UMIL determined versions. But with migrations that is gone. And storing versions in the db when not needed just wastes more RAM, because it is constantly loaded into the config array.)

The second migration file:

* delete effectively_installed() (this is only for extensions that were previously MODs)

* delete depend_on() (adding another new config does not depend on the previous migration file. Depends on is only to be used when the migrations makes changes that absolutely require some previous migrations database changes to be made first, like adding new columns to a table you created in a previous migration.)

* delete unused update and revert schema methods

* do not add the version again

info_acp_file:
This file should only be used for vars that apply to your module's language vars (the lang vars used in the favicon_info.php and in the migration installing the module). ACP_FAVICON and ACP_FAVICON_EXPLAIN

All other ACP vars should go into a separate lang file and be loaded using $this->user->add_lag_ext() in the favicon_module.php file.

This is because info_acp.php is always auto-loaded on every single page inside the ACP. Again, it's a waste of resources to load your entire ACP language array on every page of the ACP, if it's only needed inside your favicon_module.php file.

By the way, the lang vars in your favicon_info file are wrong (ACP_FAVICON_CONFIG and ACP_QUICKREPLY) and should match what you defined in the migration.

In your composer file, you should use English for the description, at least that is if you want to submit this to the to phpBB for release.

ext.php can be deleted.

You should update the EPV script in travis.yml to what acme-demo now shows... Currently you are running the EPV test on every test, when it only needs to be run once (on the 5.3.3 test).

in your overall_header_append event style, instead of {BOARD_URL} try using {ROOT_PATH} instead and see if that works.
Dictated but not read.

rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:25 am

VSE wrote:You should update the EPV script in travis.yml to what acme-demo now shows... Currently you are running the EPV test on every test, when it only needs to be run once (on the 5.3.3 test).
Didn't notice those acme-demo changes before, thanks.

kamundu

Post by kamundu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:08 pm

I personally think the idea of building a favicon extension was good.Татьяна5 kindly proceed with this project and let your extension be able to display on both ACP and on index.Allow it to accept,apart from ico and png,Gif and any other possible formats

Kamundu

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:54 pm

This topic has been marked as [ABD] - Abandoned as the extension author has not been active recently. If the extension author wishes to continue development, please PM anyone on the Extensions Team to request this topic be unlocked.

Notice!
We do not recommend that a user of the phpBB software install this extension, or any other extension that is marked as “abandoned” or “in development”, on a live forum. Doing so may cause your forum to not perform in the manner it should.

Thank you,
The phpBB Extensions Team
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”