Page 1 of 2

[DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:45 pm
by Ali@php
Extension Name: Random Topics
Author: Ali@php

Extension Description: Displaying random topics
Extension Version: 1.0.1

Features:

- Displaying random topics in index page
- Displaying random topics in viewtopic pge
- ACP settings page
- responsive

Screenshots:
Image
Image
Image

Github repository:
https://github.com/alifaraji/randomtopics/

Download:
https://github.com/alifaraji/randomtopi ... master.zip

Installation:
Create new folders inside ext folder: alifaraji/randomtopics
Move content of archive file to alifaraji/randomtopics
Login ACP and enable extension from customise tab

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:54 pm
by noth
ooooo :D that is looking good!!

GREAT TO SEE :mrgreen:

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:55 am
by Meis2M
Very good thanks ali...

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:54 am
by Holger

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:07 am
by PayBas
Be careful. When looking at the code, I think there is no ACL going on at all.

So every topic will be shown to the user. Whether he has permission to view the topic or not. Depending on the sensitivity of the topic, this might be a security problem.

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:08 am
by Ali@php
Holger wrote:Thank you!
Swedish translation
Thanks ;) but download link doesn't work

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:11 am
by Ali@php
PayBas wrote:Be careful. When looking at the code, I think there is no ACL going on at all.

So every topic will be shown to the user. Whether he has permission to view the topic or not. Depending on the sensitivity of the topic, this might be a security problem.
Thanks PayBas, I made some changes to fix that:
https://github.com/alifaraji/randomtopi ... bd01e4a2cd

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:15 am
by Holger
Ali@php wrote:
Holger wrote:Thank you!
Swedish translation
Thanks ;) but download link doesn't work
Sorry, wrong date, fixed in my post above!

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:27 am
by Ali@php
Holger wrote:
Ali@php wrote:
Holger wrote:Thank you!
Swedish translation
Thanks ;) but download link doesn't work
Sorry, wrong date, fixed in my post above!
Added to package. Thanks :)

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:38 pm
by noth
this is going to be great on the index page :P

but would it be possible for an ACP option to change the title of the block from "Random Topics" to e.g. "Topics of the Day" please?

'Random Topics' is a truthful and accurate description of the block quite obviously, however IMHO calling it something else ... "Topics of the Day", "Administrator's PICK" "Site GOLD" such titles are less accurate, but to me add a gloss to the block that focuses more interest on it, than just "Random Topics" which to me sounds perhaps bland or something like that :x

A really good TITLE for the block chosen with a bit if imagination I think would make a big difference and I know we can FTP/ HTML manually change the title ourselves - yes we can :D

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:47 pm
by RMcGirr83
This mod will only work with MySQL due to the RAND function being used in the select and the query is not being free resulted either.

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:57 am
by Holger
noth wrote:this is going to be great on the index page :P

but would it be possible for an ACP option to change the title of the block from "Random Topics" to e.g. "Topics of the Day" please?

'Random Topics' is a truthful and accurate description of the block quite obviously, however IMHO calling it something else ... "Topics of the Day", "Administrator's PICK" "Site GOLD" such titles are less accurate, but to me add a gloss to the block that focuses more interest on it, than just "Random Topics" which to me sounds perhaps bland or something like that :x

A really good TITLE for the block chosen with a bit if imagination I think would make a big difference and I know we can FTP/ HTML manually change the title ourselves - yes we can :D
Cant you change the title in the lang-file?

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:01 pm
by caunhocquay
How can I add author's avatar before topic title? :)

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:23 pm
by ac_roma
nice and important

thanks ;)

Re: [DEV] Random Topics

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:12 pm
by wmdcf
Any updates on this? I'm planing to install this on my live board :roll: