[ABD] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

[ABD] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by JoshyPHP »

As of April 2018, no new development is planned for this extension.

Extension Name: s9e/mediaembed
Author: JoshyPHP

Extension Description: Automatically embeds videos and other third-party content from a hundred sites. Works on phpBB 3.1 and phpBB 3.2.
Extension Version: 20170724

Features: Supports 121 media sites: ABC News, Amazon Product, audioBoom, Audiomack, Bandcamp, BBC News, Blab, Bleacher Report videos, Break, Brightcove, CBS News Video, CNBC, CNN, CNNMoney, CollegeHumor, Comedy Central, Coub, Dailymotion, Democracy Now!, dumpert, 8tracks, ESPN, Facebook, Flickr, FORA.tv, Fox News, Funny or Die, Gamespot, GameTrailers, Getty Images, Gfycat, Gifs.com, GitHub Gist (via custom iframe), Global News, GoFundMe, Google Drive, Google+, Google Sheets, Healthguru, Hudl, Hulu, HumorTV, IGN, IMDb, Imgur, Indiegogo, Instagram, Internet Archive, İzlesene, JW Platform, Kontinental Hockey League (КХЛ), Kickstarter, Kiss Video, Libsyn, LiveCap, LiveLeak, Livestream, Mail.Ru, Medium, Metacafe, Mixcloud, MLB, MRCTV, MSNBC, National Geographic Channel, National Geographic Video, NBC News, NBC Sports, NHL Videos and Highlights, NPR, The New York Times Video, Oddshot, Pastebin, Pinterest, Plays.tv, Podbean, Prezi, Reddit threads and comments, Rutube, Scribd, SlideShare, SoundCloud, Sportsnet, Spotify, Steam store, Stitcher, Straw Poll, Streamable, Team Coco, TED Talks, The Atlantic Video, The Guardian, The Onion, TinyPic videos, TMZ, Trailer Addict, Tumblr, Twitch, Twitter, Ustream, VBOX7, Veoh, VEVO, Viagame, Video Detective, Videomega, vidme, Vimeo, Vine, VK, Vocaroo, Vox, Washington Post Video, WorldStarHipHop, The Wall Street Journal Online, XboxClips, Xbox DVR, Yahoo! Screen, Youku, YouTube, Zippyshare audio files. The complete list with examples of supported URLs can be found on this page.

Important note: the extension will modify the way [youtube] and other similar BBCodes behave. If you have a BBCode with the same name as one of those sites, you should test it after installing this extension.

Screenshots:

Extension Download: https://github.com/s9e/phpbb-ext-mediae ... 170724.zip

Installation: Unzip the package on your home computer then upload the folder called s9e into the ext directory of your phpBB installation then enable the extension in the ACP.

Do you like this extension? If you like this extension, you can support its author with a donation in EUR or USD.
Image Image
Last edited by JoshyPHP on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:02 am, edited 52 times in total.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by JoshyPHP »

I'm experimentally releasing this extension to evaluate how much work it would take me to support it with regular updates and maintenance.

This extension is entirely based on my library s9e\TextFormatter. I also release a similar add-on for XenForo based on the same definitions.

To embed a site, just post its URL as-is and it will automatically be replaced if the URL is supported. You can selectively disable this feature by checking "Do not automatically parse URLs" on the posting screen.
leschek

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by leschek »

Wow, this is really nice.

Any chance to add Flickr?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

If you give me a couple of example URLs I'll look into it.

Post by ..777.. »

Now this, is awesome. :mrgreen:
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

leschek wrote:Thank you,
This is photo - https://www.flickr.com/photos/8757881@N ... /lightbox/
This is message in discussion - https://www.flickr.com/groups/gimpusers ... 301393396/
Ok, I looked at those links. Discussions cannot be embedded but photos can. The embed code that Flickr displays on their site (the Share icon in the bottom right) is incorrect but easy to fix.

One question remains, though: how would you expect that photo to appear when embedded? If I go with the dimensions listed for display in the page's metadata, the image will be displayed in a 427 × 640 iframe, which is the size displayed on the site when viewed on a desktop screen. The downside is that it has to be retrieved from Flickr, which means it takes a second per image linked. Or I could go with a default size for every image, perhaps something like 500 × 500.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

I have added support for Flickr photos. I don't think anybody uses Flickr videos. I went with the dimensions supplied by Flickr.

The link in the description has been updated.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

This looks incredible :shock: Good work man!
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Post by ..777.. »

Volksdevil wrote:This looks incredible :shock: Good work man!
Quoted for truth.

Joshy, you rock! :mrgreen:
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

it is a lovely ext.

can u add the http://www.aparat.com/ too?

or help me to add this. this is a video site for persian users.
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
denis4o

Post by denis4o »

Great extension. I love it.

Could you please add support for vbox7.com (video sharing site).

Example url: http://vbox7.com/play:c0f0b7f429

Sharing code:

Code: Select all

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://vbox7.com/emb/external.php?vid=c0f0b7f429" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
leschek

Post by leschek »

JoshyPHP wrote:I have added support for Flickr photos. I don't think anybody uses Flickr videos. I went with the dimensions supplied by Flickr.

The link in the description has been updated.
Thank you. This is really great extension.
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

Wow awesome! :)
SüKûT

Post by SüKûT »

click preview and:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Cannot access self:: when no class scope is active in /home/phpbb3/public_html/ext/s9e/mediaembed/event/subscriber.php on line 77

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”