[3.3][BETA] ReIMG Image Resizer

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: [ALPHA] ReIMG Image Resizer

Post by DavidIQ »

First post updated: Beta 1 has been released.

All zooming methods are now working. The only thing left here is that the extra zooming in feature is not working with Colorbox and Magnific. I'm still investigating to see if this is possible, but if it isn't I'll just remove that feature for those two options.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Re: [3.1][3.2][BETA] ReIMG Image Resizer

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Where can we set the max height and width?
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Froddelaar wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:09 pm Where can we set the max height and width?
You can't, this isn't even on the features list. I have not yet seen a good reason nor have I been presented with a good reason to have such a setting because, by default, phpBB already uses CSS to resize posted images to fit into the posting area.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

DavidIQ wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:05 pm
Froddelaar wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:09 pm Where can we set the max height and width?
You can't, this isn't even on the features list. I have not yet seen a good reason nor have I been presented with a good reason to have such a setting because, by default, phpBB already uses CSS to resize posted images to fit into the posting area.
Posted images with: 450 x 450 px are auto resizing the full width of the topic..
So an image with 450px shows up WAYYYY to big (960px)
I don't think this is normal? :D
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Froddelaar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:42 pm Posted images with: 450 x 450 px are auto resizing the full width of the topic..
So an image with 450px shows up WAYYYY to big (960px)
I don't think this is normal? :D
It's not. That usually points to a problem with your style. For instance this picture is 3180x2456 but is resized by CSS to fit into this post:
cpyle

Post by cpyle »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:57 am First post updated: Beta 1 has been released.

All zooming methods are now working. The only thing left here is that the extra zooming in feature is not working with Colorbox and Magnific. I'm still investigating to see if this is possible, but if it isn't I'll just remove that feature for those two options.
I'm assuming this is working in 3.2? Are there any dependency installs? I'm very new to this so I want to make sure I don't blow up our forum. Thanks!
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

cpyle wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:30 pm I'm assuming this is working in 3.2? Are there any dependency installs? I'm very new to this so I want to make sure I don't blow up our forum. Thanks!
DavidIQ wrote: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:21 pm Compatible with 3.1 and 3.2.
And no there are no dependencies. :geek:
dtleahy

Post by dtleahy »

Hi DavidIQ,

Can you give a brief description of what this extension does, for those who are unfamiliar with the old Mod?

I need an image resizer for my forum - an image resizer that resizes image file sizes of attachments before storing them on our server.

If my understanding of an attachment (in phpbb 3.1x or 3.2x) is correct, some automatic resizing does take place (for on-screen display), but unfortunately, the original large image file gets stored on our server.

What I want (and you can tell me if ReIMG does each of these things):

A user takes a photo. They have no idea how big the file is. They are not sophisticated enough to resize images. They want to post the image in our forum, as an attachment.

(You and I both know that a typical digital camera or smart phone approximate 2MB image file can be reduced in size to 200KB, and look almost exactly the same on screen, because the big image file is 300dpi for printing, and those extra pixels (beyond the 96dpi that monitors display) are worthless for on-screen viewing.)

I want the user to be able to attach images without being tech savvy. I want them to upload their file as an attachment, and (magically, in the background, behind the curtain), a software algorithm examines their file to be uploaded, and modifies/reduces it if necessary. Then, the reduced size file is what is stored in our server. The user's (theoretical) 2MB file would be reduced both in pixel size (that is, it would be resized to fit forum maximum pixel dimensions) AND the file would be subjected to a JPG compression algorithm to further reduce the file size. The 2MB file would not be stored on our server, just a much smaller file (say, 200KB) would be stored.

The net effect would be that the images look good on screen, and our server could literally store 10 images in the space of 1 uncompressed/non-resized file.

Having this occur client-side would be great, but even if it is server-side, that would still be OK. It would also be OK if the huge image is uploaded to our server, then the compression+resizing could be done and that file saved, then the original large file deleted from the server.

So, what does ReIMG do, and does it do what I am looking for?

Thanks,

Dennis
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Hello,

ReIMG is basically a client side script that will resize images visually, not physically. Attachment files are not physically modified in any way. This extension is not what you want if you're wanting to save disk space on your server.
Geepers
Name: Glenn

Post by Geepers »

dtleahy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 pm Hi DavidIQ,

Can you give a brief description of what this extension does, for those who are unfamiliar with the old Mod?

I need an image resizer for my forum - an image resizer that resizes image file sizes of attachments before storing them on our server.

If my understanding of an attachment (in phpbb 3.1x or 3.2x) is correct, some automatic resizing does take place (for on-screen display), but unfortunately, the original large image file gets stored on our server.

Thanks,

Dennis
Wouldn't that be great if someone could do this!
Especially now Photobucket has closed shop for free accounts :cry:
Seems to have fallen on deaf ears for years and one of the reasons farcebook has creamed forums unfortunately.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Geepers wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:26 am Wouldn't that be great if someone could do this!
Especially now Photobucket has closed shop for free accounts :cry:
Seems to have fallen on deaf ears for years and one of the reasons farcebook has creamed forums unfortunately.
....what? phpBB has had attachment facilities for YEARS. Facebook and other platforms likely don't do anything to the image one puts into random posts just like we don't do a whole lot to attachments as they get uploaded. Exactly what you're on about and how that makes forums so far behind Fb sounds like a lot of nonsense. Furthermore the post you've quoted is incorrect in the assumption that images don't get physically resized as they do get resized by plupload, to a certain extent, based on the image size settings for attachments. So what exactly has "fallen on deaf ears for years"? :roll:
BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

On my forum (3.2.1/ProSilver) its the thumbnails that are put in the lightbox, instead of the original images.
I think I tried all the lightbox options by now.
The + zoom buttom does nothing different than clicking on the thumbnail itself.
Only when clicking on that (ugly) yellow boxed download-link is when the full size (huge) image is shown, and only as a single image in the same browser screen, in effect leaving the forum.

Also;
Resize images in signatures: No
&
Apply ReIMG zoom method to all posted images: No

still places a yellow box at a signature image.
Anyway to get rid of that yellow box all together, or at least place it outside the image-box?

--
About image resizing (not refitting to screen);
The phpBB attachment-function might have been offered for years, perhaps in a time when photocamera images and computer screensizes where smaller, but it has never been fully worked out properly as to how people would use it in real life; simple image uploading without having to know how large the image is or how the resize it manually.
Especially not these days when phones and cameras put out huge image-files.
That where good thought-out software comes into play and takes these kinda problems away from users.

Image size 'checking' is nice to prevent possible problems, but it also 'slaps' an (unexperienced) user in the face when the forum comes back with an error that says "Image size too large" (and maybe even leave orphaned imagefiles on the server in the process for the admin to clean up.

With this I agree with poster "dtleahy " above.
FB (probably) doesn't pose these kind of 'show stopping issues' for their sheep, eh users as they want to grow.

Serverside image re-'sizing' would have been a good step in the right direction for usability.
(IMO it should be a standard option of the phpBB attachment function).

phpBB's attachment function's usability is still not userfriendly enough. (And the lack of serverside resizing is also not user AND admin/webhoster-friendly.) ;
While the drag&drop-into-replyscreen uploadfunction is a nice touch, the actual File-Upload button (what most people will look for/expect to see) is still obscured in a non-active Attachment-tab below the postwindow.
Needing extra clicks to be found and function.

IMO, the Options-Tab and the Attachment-Tab could very well be fused together into one.

I'm sure you have the coding-skills present, why not implement an actual image resizing into your ReIMG-extention?
It's a really missed option, even if most forumadmins don't even know they need it.

For years I've been implementing this mod into function_upload.php on my forums, which worked exactly as desired;
viewtopic.php?p=9652285#p9652285

But phpBB's code has changed much since then and function_uploads.php doesn't even exist anymore.

just my 2 cents.

EDIT:
just noticed this topic here; viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2275566
which has the exact same 'wishes' posted of others.
Signatures are overrated...
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at those things you've brought up, especially the ugly yellow box part.

As far as this goes:
BigBlockMopar wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 am Serverside image re-'sizing' would have been a good step in the right direction for usability.
(IMO it should be a standard option of the phpBB attachment function).
As I said already:
DavidIQ wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 pm Furthermore the post you've quoted is incorrect in the assumption that images don't get physically resized as they do get resized by plupload, to a certain extent, based on the image size settings for attachments.
This is also stated, a few times actually, in that last topic you quoted. Everyone seems to be so hung up on what was done with attachments in 3.0 that many just haven't looked at what is actually done in 3.1 and beyond.
trojanac

Post by trojanac »

Hello DavidIQ

Extension is great. I use it more than 5 years. On old 3.0 version it was perfect, but now I made upgrade on 3.2 and some thins are different. I see there is a option for zooming link method but whatever I choose click on image is also opens new window with link to original image. For someone this could be very good option but I would like to disable this. How can I do it?

Zooming link: Zooming button
Zooming method: Image Lightbox

Also it would be better that user-assigned image link is not visible. I see that there was a discussion about this few months ago. Any news about that?

Best regards
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

trojanac wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:58 pm I see there is a option for zooming link method but whatever I choose click on image is also opens new window with link to original image. For someone this could be very good option but I would like to disable this. How can I do it?

Zooming link: Zooming button
Zooming method: Image Lightbox
These are the same settings I have on my test environment and everything works as it should. What style are you using and what version of phpBB?
Also it would be better that user-assigned image link is not visible. I see that there was a discussion about this few months ago. Any news about that?

Best regards
That's not something that I agreed to do actually. What I did agree with was that the style of the link box will be changing (yes it's ugly...), but not having a way to go to a link a user intended for an image to go to is not good user experience.

Return to “Extensions in Development”