[ABD] Advanced SearchBox

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Wolfsblvt

[ABD] Advanced SearchBox

Post by Wolfsblvt »

Extension Name: Advanced SearchBox
Author: Wolfsblvt

Extension Description: This extension dds advanced functionalty to the searchbox in board header. Simplify the search process, make it available with a few clicks and easy to understand.
Extension Version: 1.0.1

Requirements: Features:
Current Features
  • Specify what you want to search without clicking the options in the Advanced Search
  • Pin most used item
  • Search current thread or forum
  • Search for words from a specific user
  • Box matching responsive style and search permission
Planned Features
  • Nothing
Screenshots:

Demo URL: -

Extension Download: wolfsblvt.advancedsearchbox.zip

More Information:
Do you know this problem when you want to search for a specific thread, and every time you need to configure the advanced search to match your needs? People are lazy, they want to do as few as possible steps, and especially don't want to understand this complicated advanced search. I know this. Many of my users don't even know that they can search for thread titles. That's stupid, isn't it?
Anyway, I use the search very often. And if there is the possibilty to simplify the process, it'll save time.

So here is it, my first official 3.1 extension. Nothing really big, there isn't really any new functionalty, it just makes searching easier.
If you have any suggestions for more search options, I am open for it. But in my opinion this is all what this extension needs.
If you have any corrections or improvements for my code, I would be very glad. Extension developing seems to be difficult :P

Bug reports for this extension and the core extension in this thread.
(Oh, and my english is not the best. If you have suggestions for translations or want to add another translation language, just use this thread too)

And last, I know not everyone will be pleased with my decision to outsource much of my code to my core extensions. Yeah, you have to install two extensions. But that's not a big deal, isn't it? :P
It makes life easier for me.
So, don't forget to install and enable wolfsblvt\core first!
Last edited by Wolfsblvt on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«
Wolfsblvt

Re: [BETA] Advanced SearchBox

Post by Wolfsblvt »

Changelog:
Actual Version

-- Version 1.0.1 --------------
• Changed some language variables
• Added tooltips to "Choose" and pins for better understanding

###########################################################################
Past Versions

-- Version 1.0.0 --------------
• First implementation for 3.1
• Included check for requirements
• Moving strings to language files
• Workaround for missing template event
Last edited by Wolfsblvt on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

very well...
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
leschek

Post by leschek »

This is nice extension, but I have to tell you, that at first I was really confused with the pins. It took me some time to figure out that item I pin will be selected after page is refreshed. First I thought I can use it to narrow down searching. Anyway I still have problem to understand the following:
When I hover mouse over the "First post" it shows me "Search with => Username", but when I add username it redirect me to advanced search, because nothing was found.
Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt »

leschek wrote:This is nice extension, but I have to tell you, that at first I was really confused with the pins. It took me some time to figure out that item I pin will be selected after page is refreshed. First I thought I can use it to narrow down searching.
I thought that it can be complicated too.
Would it be a better solution if the pinned item will be selected automatically if you pin?
leschek wrote:Anyway I still have problem to understand the following:
When I hover mouse over the "First post" it shows me "Search with => Username", but when I add username it redirect me to advanced search, because nothing was found.
Ah, you are right. The "First post" was meant to be words, not username. I'll correct that in the next version.

First posts author would be the same like "Author's topcis" :P

leschek

Post by leschek »

Wolfsblvt wrote:Would it be a better solution if the pinned item will be selected automatically if you pin?
I don't know. Once I figured it out it's working great. Maybe you can add tooltips over pins with something like "Choose as you favourite search". Or make it as right click option...

On my board I would put tooltip also over the "Choose..." (something like "Choose what you want to search").
I also renamed the "Specific Searches" into "Local searches" as it sounds more descriptive.
Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt »

Nice suggestions. I have added the tooltips for better understanding and changed "Specific Searches" to "Local Searches".
Version 1.0.1 is uploaded now, you can download it in the start post here.

Some other suggestions?
I would be glad if others can say something about this extension. With a few more feedbacks I'll change status of this extension to RC.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Nice, Thank you for update.
Wolfsblvt wrote:Some other suggestions?
Really a small one. So small it's probably not worth to mention it. Anyway, when I hover over the pin it changes, but when I hover over the text it doesn't. It wouldn't be issue, if I can click anywhere in selected line, but I can click only on text.

Would be nice if text changes a bit, so it will show user where to click.
Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt »

I made the whole highlighted listitem clickable now. I think this is the better solution.
Will be included in the next version.

aldink

Post by aldink »

It will be nice to be a Searchbox where is showing the topics direct when you tip a letter...

Something like here:

phpBBadvanced.com - phpBB templates. 3.0.12 Zaroon (need forum account to download.)
Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt »

Autocomplete features would be way more complicated to achieve..
I'll think over that.

P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

If you decide to move ahead, please consider a setting to enable/disable auto-complete as I'd expect there would be database/CPU load involved, which can be an issue for those of us running forums on shared hosting.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
leschek

Post by leschek »

Just an idea for your core library. When admin disable/enable your core extension it write that all extensions depending on core are disabled/enabled (those which has been disabled last time). It would be great if there is list of those extensions. I have only advanced search box installed, so it's OK, but if you plan to write (or if you already have) more extensions it would be helpful for admin to know which extensions are disabled/enabled.
Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt »

Yeah, thought about that too. I'll try to find a way to print out all their names.
The disable is needed to prevent errors while updating the core extension, for example. Thought that an auto-disable would be better than just preventing the user to disable the core unless all dependencies were disabled.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Wolfsblvt wrote:Thought that an auto-disable would be better than just preventing the user to disable the core unless all dependencies were disabled.
I agree

One more thing - When I disable only "Advanced SearchBox" it shows me the same text as when I disable the core extension: The extension and all its dependencies were disabled successfully. If you enable this extension again, all in this process disabled extensions will be enabled too. It's a bit misleading and I think it would be better to show only The extension was disabled successfully.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”