[CDB] mChat

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
evilpeppard

Re: [RC] mChat

Post by evilpeppard » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:53 pm

kasimi wrote:Default settings is not the same as initial settings. For example, if you change the location of new messages from top to bottom, how would you determine for which users to apply this setting in terms of initial setting? There might be existing users that want it at the top and you would overwrite their preference. That's the reason why the default settings apply only to those users who don't have the permission to change that setting, and that's also why there are no "initial settings" the way you understood it.
evilpeppard wrote:is there still even an option in each user's CP for mChat?
Yes, there is. When installing mChat a few permissions are set to yes for the user role "Standard Features", users being able to change the location of new messages is one of them. If you don't like your users do decide for themselves and want to force everyone to have messages added at the bottom, set the permission to no for that role and in the default user settings set the location to bottom.
evilpeppard wrote:Where is the 'user management' and 'Preferences' section you are referring to, please?
ACP -> Users & Groups -> Manage users -> find the user for whom you want to see the individual settings -> select Preferences in the upper right dropdown -> scroll to the bottom
Thank you for taking the time to type all this. I appreciate it, and now have a better understanding.

My confusion mainly was, prior to 2.0.0-RC3, it seemed when I installed mChat, then made it so all new chats were on the bottom, this appeared to be a global setting for all users, and one that I tested with a few different users.

It now seems new settings were added to 2.0.0-RC3 so now, regardless what I have set as the global user setting default for new chat messages, all my users now get the new messages at the top, whereas before they were getting them at the bottom, including me.

If I wanted to do what you said and remove the ability for users to change/customize their own mChat settings so that my defaults were the defacto, where would I change that, please? I see you state it is in the 'Standard Features' role, but where can I find that?

Thank you again for your time and understanding.
"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:59 pm

you would change it in the ACP>>Permissions tab>>click group permissions on the left>>select registered users

or uninstall and clear all data then edit the config_2_0_0.yml file to change what the default settings are

that way you can give the users the option to adjust but you can have the default for all users to put messages at the bottom ;)

evilpeppard

Post by evilpeppard » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:07 pm

sakm wrote:you would change it in the ACP>>Permissions tab>>click group permissions on the left>>select registered users

or uninstall and clear all data then edit the config_2_0_0.yml file to change what the default settings are

that way you can give the users the option to adjust but you can have the default for all users to put messages at the bottom ;)
Thank you. I think I like the idea of editing the config_2_0_0.yml file, and have the default set to the bottom, but let users still adjust their personal preference.

That said, to adjust the settings in the .yml file, I have opened the file in NotePad++, then went down to line 154:

mchat_message_top:
default: 1
type: 'BOOL'

I assume I change the default value from '1' to '0' to have messages on the bottom by default, correct?

Thank you very much again for all the assistance.

kasimi
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by kasimi » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Correct. Note that editing the config_*.yml file will only work if you re-install mChat afterwards. Have a look at this and this post.

sakm

Post by sakm » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:13 pm

yes change from 1 yo 0

before you go ahead and install it again

have a think on what other settings you want to change

like the location on index and whether you want it to show on index

evilpeppard

Post by evilpeppard » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:15 pm

sakm wrote:you would change it in the ACP>>Permissions tab>>click group permissions on the left>>select registered users
For those looking at this option, I tested successfully by going to the location sakm stated, then used the 'advanced permissions' link to edit the permissions for Registered Users. From there, I selected the 'mchat in UCP' tab, then changed the settings from 'yes' to 'no' on the line labeled 'Can customise Location of new chat messages'.

I applied the changes, then reloaded my site's main page (F5), and posted a new test message. The new message arrived at the bottom, just as I had set in the mChat Global User Settings. :D

Thank you all very much for your patience, and assistance helping me (and hopefully others) understand the new functionality. :)

evilpeppard

Post by evilpeppard » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:15 pm

sakm wrote:yes change from 1 yo 0

before you go ahead and install it again

have a think on what other settings you want to change

like the location on index and whether you want it to show on index
Got it. Thank you yet again!

sakm

Post by sakm » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:20 pm

not a problem

I was in the same situation as you and had to ask and do all this so I may as well help if I can :)

trilo
Name: Trilo Byte

Post by trilo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:55 am

After disabling the old version, and deleting data on a board running 3.1.8, I installed the 2.0 RC3 release and it shows up in the list. However, when I go to Enable, it takes several seconds and then returns with a "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." error.

Going back to the extensions page, it shows as installed and current. It also appears to be working, though with the default settings. I'll try tinkering around to get back to the perms I had set with the last release.

It'd be great if subsequent upgrades (once released into the wild) would preserve the current settings.

Thanks again for all the hard work on this.

KhurramMunawar
Name: Khurram Munawar

Post by KhurramMunawar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:26 am

Just installed the newer version of mchat.

mChat global user setting in ACP is not effective.

It should be effective irrespective of mchat UCP settings.

Say for example.

Display on the index is disabled in ACP. mChat is still shown on index.

similarly other options in mChat global user settings in ACP are not effective.

Please have a look.

Thanks
My forum:
DearHelper.org
Get Free Traffic To Your Website
Trafficonic.com - Free Traffic To Your Website

sakm

Post by sakm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:28 am

KhurramMunawar wrote:Just installed the newer version of mchat.

mChat global user setting in ACP is not effective.

It should be effective irrespective of mchat UCP settings.

Say for example.

Display on the index is disabled in ACP. mChat is still shown on index.

similarly other options in mChat global user settings in ACP are not effective.

Please have a look.

Thanks
You need to read back on how this works and how to solve it

trilo
Name: Trilo Byte

Post by trilo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:02 pm

I agree with sakm. Double-check your setup, it's working as expected for me on a test-server running PHPBB 3.1.8.

sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:25 pm

trilo wrote:I agree with sakm. Double-check your setup, it's working as expected for me on a test-server running PHPBB 3.1.8.
Indeed

kasimi
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by kasimi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It certainly can be confusing at first. If anybody has improvements for the wording of the notes in the ACP regarding global settings/global user settings/UCP permissions I'll gladly incorporate them.

Melon64

Post by Melon64 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:07 pm

HPK wrote:
archivar wrote:I use phpbb 3.1.8
MCHAT-Version: 2.0.0-RC3
In the admin area I see:
MCHAT
ACP_MCHAT_CONFIG
Global settings
Global user settings
If I go on ACP_MCHAT_CONFIG I get the error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method dmzx\mchat\controller\acp_controller::configuration() in /+++/ext/dmzx/mchat/acp/acp_mchat_module.php on line 31
I have the same problem.

1) Disable old ext.
2) Delete data old ext.
3) Delete files old ext and upload new version.
4) Enable ext.
5) Clear buffer.
6) Enjoy.

If you have already completed the update are:
1) Disable ext.
2) Delete data.
3) Delete files and upload files old version.
4) Enable ext.

and now

1) Disable old ext.
2) Delete data old ext.
3) Delete files old ext and upload new version.
4) Enable ext.
5) Clear buffer.
6) Enjoy.
followed this procedure and still had the ACP_MCHAT_CONFIG issue.

disabled the ext until its stable.

Return to “Extensions in Development”