[ABD] External Link In New Window

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
___Martin

Re: [BETA] External Link In New Window

Post by ___Martin »

OmkePom wrote:I tried, doesn't work at all.
Hi OmkePom,

could you please be more specific about what did not work as you expected? Thank you.
OmkePom
Name: IJsbrand Nijboer

Post by OmkePom »

___Martin wrote:
OmkePom wrote:I tried, doesn't work at all.
Hi OmkePom,

could you please be more specific about what did not work as you expected? Thank you.
To be short, nothing did work.
I tried every switch on/off in ACP, nothing hapend.

The old extension works fine by me, so i don't no why you wanna change a winning team?

:)
You got Brains like a Peanut, OMG i insulted a Peanut!
Cin-

Post by Cin- »

Hey Martin,

This extension works just fine for me. Both in phpBB 3.1.x as 3.2.x.

Thanks!
trilo
Name: Trilo Byte

Post by trilo »

Cool extension, and hooray for allowing the admin to set the default behavior. There is a solid minority of my users who would like to open external links in a new window by default, but in order to accommodate them I don't want to have to force everyone to open in new windows, then have the majority change their prefs back (that was the main drawback I saw in the rmcgirr83 extension).

If possible, could the User Control Panel display be simplified? Right now it looks like this:

Ideally I would just like to see a Board preference line that says something like "Open external links in new window" with a Yes/No radio button choice. The default choice would be whatever the admin selected, and from there the user could change if they wanted to.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

This topic has been marked as [ABD] - Abandoned as the extension author has not been active recently. If the extension author wishes to continue development, please PM anyone on the Extensions Team to request this topic be unlocked.

Notice!
We do not recommend that a user of the phpBB software install this extension, or any other extension that is marked as “abandoned” or “in development”, on a live forum. Doing so may cause your forum to not perform in the manner it should.

Thank you,
The phpBB Extensions Team
Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: [ABD] External Link In New Window

Post by Paul »

Reopened as requested.
Naguissa
Name: Naguissa

Re: [3.2][RC] External Link In New Window

Post by Naguissa »

I'm using this extension since... years?

I see it's now labeled as RC, is there any problem? If you want help I can lay a hand, if you want.
___Martin

Post by ___Martin »

Hi Naguissa, thank you very much, I'm glad someone is using this extension! :)

The "RC" status means release candidate, which means that I submitted the extension to phpBB's official extension database. Currently the extension is being checked, and after approval, it will be listed in the extension database.

So no, there's no problem, but thanks anyway for your offered help.
wheelsoffdesign

Post by wheelsoffdesign »

any update for this ext. ?
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

wheelsoffdesign wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:06 am any update for this ext. ?
This extensions works perfect on 3.2.2
___Martin

Post by ___Martin »

wheelsoffdesign wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:06 am any update for this ext. ?
The extension is still awaiting review/approval to be listed in the official extension database.

Until then, you can use the link from the first post of this thread to download the 1.0.0 version of this extension for phpBB 3.2: https://github.com/Mar-tin-G/ExternalLi ... /1.0.0.zip

Thanks for your feedback @Froddelaar!
Lon2

Post by Lon2 »

Any new updates on this that are possibly not posted here? I tried both the GitHub and the one linked above and neither created a listing in the Extensions Manager on phpBB 3.2.5.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Lon2 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:55 pm Any new updates on this that are possibly not posted here? I tried both the GitHub and the one linked above and neither created a listing in the Extensions Manager on phpBB 3.2.5.
You may have already considered or done this, but the installation instructions from the README.md file don't exactly match the .ZIP file available for download from Github, and might be related to the observations you've described.
README.md wrote:## Installation
  • Download the latest validated release.
  • Extract the downloaded release and copy it to the `ext` directory of your phpBB board this should result in a `ext/martin/externallinkinnewwindow/` directory
  • Go to *Customise* > *Extension Management* > *Manage Extensions*.
  • Find *External Link In New Window* in the list on the right side and click on *Enable*.
  • Go to *Extensions* > *External Link In New Window* > *Settings* to set up the extension.
It's the second step which is important and doesn't quite match. You would need to manually create the "martin" directory under /ext/ if it doesn't already exist. And the directory extracted from the .ZIP file should be renamed from "ExternalLinkInNewWindow-1.0.0" to just "externallinkinnewwindow" to get the intended results described in the installation steps.

Note this must be literally, and exactly, "externallinkinnewwindow" (all lower case) for a full path of /ext/martin/externallinkinnewwindow/, in order to show up successfully in the Customize tab.
Lon2

Post by Lon2 »

Thanks for your quick response, EA117!

I just downloaded and installed the other one and it worked (minus if the link has text):

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ew_window/

Thanks again!
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

As an addition to EA117, all extension have a file named composer.json. In this file there is a line starting with "name" : . The content after that give the exact folder structure (composed from vendor name, a / and extension name) inside the phpBB-ext-folder where this file and the other files and folders should be placed.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”