[CDB] Ajax Chat

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
spaceace

Re: [RC] Ajax Chat

Post by spaceace »

InOoXx wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:04 pm hello , thx for this plugin my forum passed to forum on 3.2 and i can install the new version when i active this extention, i have one message "MODULE_EXISTS" can you help me please thank you
if the module exists, you will need to find it and remove it. if you are unable to do so, if you provide me with an admin login via PM, i can most likely find it in the ACP and remove it in the module management if that is where the issue is.
shortmort37
Name: Dan Morton

Post by shortmort37 »

I have a question about settings for status, and refresh... I'm running 3.0.22.

I took the default settings for Chat. Most users on my board - myself included - check the board from time to time, but remain logged in ("remember me"). Naturally, after a long period of time, we go offline.

I find that when I am offline, and I enter a chat, it does not present - there isn't a refresh, even after 300 seconds (the offline refresh rate). However, if I log out and back in, the refresh happens within 5 seconds (again, the default). It seems that once the user goes offline, whatever they submit for a chat never presents.

Am I missing something? Is there something I can do to remediate?

Dan
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

shortmort37 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:09 am I have a question about settings for status, and refresh... I'm running 3.0.22.

I took the default settings for Chat. Most users on my board - myself included - check the board from time to time, but remain logged in ("remember me"). Naturally, after a long period of time, we go offline.

I find that when I am offline, and I enter a chat, it does not present - there isn't a refresh, even after 300 seconds (the offline refresh rate). However, if I log out and back in, the refresh happens within 5 seconds (again, the default). It seems that once the user goes offline, whatever they submit for a chat never presents.

Am I missing something? Is there something I can do to remediate?

Dan
after no input for an extended period of time, as in just being idle on a page that has chat, you are no longer shown in the "who is chatting" list so you no longer get a refresh of messages. if you have a large forum with chat, it could cause unnecessary server load if you have many idle users
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

spaceace wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:18 am after no input for an extended period of time, as in just being idle on a page that has chat, you are no longer shown in the "who is chatting" list so you no longer get a refresh of messages. if you have a large forum with chat, it could cause unnecessary server load if you have many idle users
That's reasonable. But there needs to be a way - after being classified as idle, or offline - to change your status back to active. I think that entering a chat and clicking the submit button should change one's status - they certainly are actively attempting to chat. But it doesn't seem to work.

An individual can move from active state, to idle, to offline; but (in my experience) there doesn't seem to be any way to be reconsidered active again, apart from logging out and logging back in. That's painful. Unless, like I say, I'm missing something.

Dan
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

shortmort37 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:13 pm apart from logging out and logging back in. That's painful.
refreshing the page works instead of logging out and in. at least that is what i have always done
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Couldn't a click of the submit button reset the timer(s)?

At any rate, what I'm finding is that If I tear down the web page (with my cookie keeping me logged in), go to bed and relaunch it in the morning, occasionally - not always - it appears as I am inactive. I suppose I could flush my browser cache too...

But semantically, if I actively click on the chat submit button, I am active in chat. It seems to me that should be the consideration, not some other loosely-connected activity. Just my $0.02.
MadDog666

Post by MadDog666 »

Hi everybody,

first, my english is not so good, but i try it.

We have ab PhpBB 3.2 Board with Ajax Chat 3.0.22
It works

Now, we want to get him a Password. Is it possible ?
Guests, Bots a not available to see the Chat. Only members; but we have a monthly Chat for some Users. We dont want, that other User come in to the Chat at this day.
So, we Need a Password or so ...

Can somebody helb me ?
Galixte de EzCom
Name: Raphaël M.

Post by Galixte de EzCom »

No there is no need password to do it.

Use a special group and give it the permissions​ during this day to the chat.
Communau EzCom
📖 « Traductions d’extensions & styles pour phpBB 3.2.x & 3.3.x ».
📋 Lists of all extensions identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.
📋 Lists of all styles identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.
Image Tu as un forum et tu veux aussi un site web ? Regarde par ici.
MadDog666

Post by MadDog666 »

thanx for your answer, thats a good idea. I want to test it and i give Feedback
Buspilotin
Name: Nadine

Post by Buspilotin »

Hi, i have a problem with my Ajax Chat. It works fine on 3.2.0, but the layout is always the basic version. If I switch it to "all buttons" on ACP and save, the ACP shows the green information message, but the chat is still in basic mode. When I open the settings again, the point is at "disable" again :?
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

Buspilotin wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 am Hi, i have a problem with my Ajax Chat. It works fine on 3.2.0, but the layout is always the basic version. If I switch it to "all buttons" on ACP and save, the ACP shows the green information message, but the chat is still in basic mode. When I open the settings again, the point is at "disable" again :?
it could be a style related issue
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

3 observations so far:
  • A lot of code duplication between controller and the listener (functions like whois_online() and other duplicated pieces of code could be splitted into a standalone helper service injected into both places).
  • Adding message in chat when someone posts to the forum doesn't consider post visibility (which leads to posting links to unapproved posts) as well as the forum accesibility (which leads to posting links from private forums to public).
  • UCP module auth doesn't consider u_ajaxchat_view permission, thus the UCP chat settings are stil available for users unauthorized for the chat viewing.
Just in case the author needs it :)
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

rxu wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:48 pm 3 observations so far:
  • A lot of code duplication between controller and the listener (functions like whois_online() and other duplicated pieces of code could be splitted into a standalone helper service injected into both places).
  • Adding message in chat when someone posts to the forum doesn't consider post visibility (which leads to posting links to unapproved posts) as well as the forum accesibility (which leads to posting links from private forums to public).
  • UCP module auth doesn't consider u_ajaxchat_view permission, thus the UCP chat settings are stil available for users unauthorized for the chat viewing.
Just in case the author needs it :)
A lot of code duplication between controller and the listener (functions like whois_online() and other duplicated pieces of code could be splitted into a standalone helper service injected into both places).
code duplication has been addressed already
Adding message in chat when someone posts to the forum doesn't consider post visibility (which leads to posting links to unapproved posts) as well as the forum accesibility (which leads to posting links from private forums to public).
i have not had this issue for some time as it uses the auth from the forum being posted in for viewing the chat message. but i will look into this ;)

EDIT: i just posted in several topics of my test board and all post visibility is working correctly in private/hidden forums. is there a special case you are using to test this?
UCP module auth doesn't consider u_ajaxchat_view permission, thus the UCP chat settings are stil available for users unauthorized for the chat viewing.
i will look into this as well
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

Also, the chat is getting the link text for the CHAT_NEW_POST etc. from the post_subject field, which may be empty. That leads to the info messages like rxu has replied to: with no link. As the topic title is always non-empty, it would be nice to put it to the link text in cases the post subject is empty.
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

rxu wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 4:21 am Also, the chat is getting the link text for the CHAT_NEW_POST etc. from the post_subject field, which may be empty. That leads to the info messages like rxu has replied to: with no link. As the topic title is always non-empty, it would be nice to put it to the link text in cases the post subject is empty.
good idea. thanks for pointing that out :D

Return to “Extensions in Development”