[CDB] Mailing List

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: [DEV] Mailing List

Post by DavidIQ »

uruguayito wrote:posibility to add news for some groups? :roll:
No idea what you're talking about :roll:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

exteris

Post by exteris »

DavidIQ wrote:
shirish_ag75 wrote:This seems to be a one-way relationship, is there a second part to it, where posts and replies to a mailing list is also sent to the forum so the relationship is bi-directional or is that on the roadmap somewhere ?
I had thought about this but didn't really bother looking into it further since the requirements I was given for this didn't include it. Now that the client has what they asked for its possible that there could be some sort of two-way communication to this. Not sure yet though. As it is right now can be considered the final product unless this two-way communication is really desired by a few users.
I would also like to see this feature. This is slightly difficult to set up though, since there would need to be an email address that phpBB can read and a cronjob, or an email service (like mailgun) and a webhook (perhaps easier?).
DavidIQ: I wouldn't mind spending some time on this, perhaps we can work together? I have no experience with phpBB, but some with mailing lists and php integration (I made something like this for drupal once).

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

exteris wrote:I would also like to see this feature. This is slightly difficult to set up though, since there would need to be an email address that phpBB can read and a cronjob, or an email service (like mailgun) and a webhook (perhaps easier?).
DavidIQ: I wouldn't mind spending some time on this, perhaps we can work together? I have no experience with phpBB, but some with mailing lists and php integration (I made something like this for drupal once).
That sounds like a fine idea. If you want to share what sorts of things you had to do with Drupal perhaps I/we (community) can figure out how that can fit in with phpBB.

shirish_ag75

Post by shirish_ag75 »

exteris wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:
shirish_ag75 wrote:This seems to be a one-way relationship, is there a second part to it, where posts and replies to a mailing list is also sent to the forum so the relationship is bi-directional or is that on the roadmap somewhere ?
I had thought about this but didn't really bother looking into it further since the requirements I was given for this didn't include it. Now that the client has what they asked for its possible that there could be some sort of two-way communication to this. Not sure yet though. As it is right now can be considered the final product unless this two-way communication is really desired by a few users.
I would also like to see this feature. This is slightly difficult to set up though, since there would need to be an email address that phpBB can read and a cronjob, or an email service (like mailgun) and a webhook (perhaps easier?).

@exteris and @DavidIQ if you guys can work on this, would be awesome. I know quite a few people in India at least would be grateful, there are quite a few people who are looking to try out phpBB as a solution but discard it due to lack of this extension.

Of course, with Mailman 3.0 and later becoming more and more GUI-friendly it might not be needed after 2-3 years but everybody does not use mailman (some people consider it too fat/bloated) so the success of even that would be limited. Anyways, would be good if the two of you could spend sometime on this.

Praggle

Post by Praggle »

DavidIQ wrote:As it is right now can be considered the final product unless this two-way communication is really desired by a few users.
I am also one of these few users.

uruguayito

Post by uruguayito »

how many email addresses can be put ?

I put only 8, and can't put any more
I speak spanish
Sorry for my bad english

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

It's supposed to be one so not sure how you put in more than that. You're supposed to create your own mailing list and then set up this extension with that mailing list's email address, as per the description.

batambale

Post by batambale »

Hi Mr. David,

Many thanks for this extension.

I have a feature request if you can please. I have multiple mailing lists where different forums (or set of forums) are mapped to a particular mailing list. So I need to assign a different mailing list address depending on the forum. In phpBB 3.0.x I was using this Mail Gateway MOD, which allows this feature. Please note that I am not asking for the reverse function (mail to forum which Mail Gateway also supports), just being able to forward posts to different mailing lists depending on the sub-forum.

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

batambale wrote:Hi Mr. David,

Many thanks for this extension.

I have a feature request if you can please. I have multiple mailing lists where different forums (or set of forums) are mapped to a particular mailing list. So I need to assign a different mailing list address depending on the forum. In phpBB 3.0.x I was using this Mail Gateway MOD, which allows this feature. Please note that I am not asking for the reverse function (mail to forum which Mail Gateway also supports), just being able to forward posts to different mailing lists depending on the sub-forum.

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration.
I had thought about this one at some point. I've created an issue entry for it:
https://github.com/DavidIQ/phpBB-MailingList/issues/3

I just realized I haven't released this...something else to do while stuck indoors on account of this blizzard...

Return to “Extensions in Development”