[ABD] Akismet Anti-Spam

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
gothick
Name: Matt Gibson

[ABD] Akismet Anti-Spam

Post by gothick » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:56 pm

Extension Name: Akismet Anti-Spam
Author: gothick

Extension Description: Spam-check posts against the Automattic Akismet service.

Extension Version: 0.1.4

Requirements: Needs an Akismet API key to be configured. Requires curl and the ability to reach the Akismet servers from your phpBB server.

Features:
  • Use the popular Akismet anti-spam service to check all posts to your board.
  • Administrators and moderators' posts are unaffected.
  • English, Japanese and Arabic translations provided.
Extension Download: ZIP: https://github.com/gothick/phpbb-ext-ak ... kismet.zip

This is a beta release of an extension based on code I've successfully been using in an (unpublished) existing modification of mine for some years.

You'll need:

a) An Akismet API key, which you can get from those nice people at Automattic/WordPress. You can get one free for non-commercial use. Once you've got your key, configure it in the Extension's settings page.

b) The php curl library to be installed on your server. This may well be in place already.

c) The ability to connect to the Akismet servers from your server.

All posts from non-admins/mods will be run through Akismet, and anything that fails the Akismet spam check will be placed in the moderation queue.

All moderation notifications, etc., should work as normal. Akismet moderation actions will be logged with Akismet-specific wording in the moderation log.

All feedback welcomed. For specific issues, you may want to raise an issue on the GitHub repo.
Last edited by gothick on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ascareus

Re: [BETA] Akismet Anti-Spam

Post by Ascareus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:34 am

Many thanks to this Mod..

CarpCharacin
Name: James Stewart

Post by CarpCharacin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:46 am

Thanks for the great extension :D

GoBieN

Post by GoBieN » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Do you plan to add a limit, for instance, users with +20 posts don't get checked?

gothick

Post by gothick » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:08 pm

GoBieN wrote:Do you plan to add a limit, for instance, users with +20 posts don't get checked?
Yup! This and a few other ideas are already on the "Future Roadmap" section of the README at GitHub. Any other suggestions welcome, but I can't promise to look at them too quickly at the moment ;)

Matt

GoBieN

Post by GoBieN » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Well I can't think of too many at the moment. But the reason I asked is because Akismet does occasionally have a false positive.

On phpBB 3.0 I used the popular AntispamACP mod, which added Akismet support like your extension, but also checked IP addresses & e-mail addresses on StopForumSpam on registration. But I guess that's outside the scope ;)

gothick

Post by gothick » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:21 pm

GoBieN wrote:Well I can't think of too many at the moment. But the reason I asked is because Akismet does occasionally have a false positive.
Yup, I've seen the occasional one. I may well bump a "skip the check if the user has had more than X successful posts" configuration option to the top of the "todo" list. It shouldn't be too hard.
GoBieN wrote:On phpBB 3.0 I used the popular AntispamACP mod, which added Akismet support like your extension, but also checked IP addresses & e-mail addresses on StopForumSpam on registration. But I guess that's outside the scope ;)
I'd probably prefer to have StopForumSpam in a separate extension, so people could mix and match. I don't *think* it'll cause too many problems to do it like that, though it may depend on the extension authors co-operating a bit. I already use my own GeoModerate extension (which just moderates posts from certain countries based on IP) alongside this Akismet extension, and I've not seen any issues...

Cheers,

Matt

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:04 am

ooooooh I see a lot of potential in this extension...

Do you have any screenshots? I'm hesitant to try this right now since it's so new, all I have are "in production" forums.

gothick

Post by gothick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:06 am

Swanny wrote:Do you have any screenshots? I'm hesitant to try this right now since it's so new, all I have are "in production" forums.
There's not a lot to see at the moment. The only visual thing you'd notice is the configuration page, and that's really only got a box for putting in the API key. I suppose there's new entries for the moderation log, and a minor change to the wording of moderation notification emails if a post was moderated by Akismet, but I'm not sure any of it's greatly screenshot-worthy yet :)

Matt

swt4ajp

Post by swt4ajp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:33 pm

This is great!

I would like to see some sort of way to manually mark as spam.

Something on the users post or the users profile so if they have xxx's of posts then in one foul swoop they are gone :)

But otherwise I love it!
web admin at several websites including
http://blackburnnet.co.uk
http://gamesunited.eu

gothick

Post by gothick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:02 pm

swt4ajp wrote:This is great!

I would like to see some sort of way to manually mark as spam.

But otherwise I love it!
Thanks! Yes, manual marking of uncaught spam is on the roadmap—in fact, the Akismet people recommend that you implement it if you're developing an Akismet client, so I should definitely get around to it. I'm going to be a bit pushed for time over the next couple of weeks, though, so don't expect improvements too quickly...

Cheers,

Matt

swt4ajp

Post by swt4ajp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Also would be great for an unmark as spam as well, just encase of ham 'false positives'
web admin at several websites including
http://blackburnnet.co.uk
http://gamesunited.eu

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:27 pm

gothick wrote:
GoBieN wrote:On phpBB 3.0 I used the popular AntispamACP mod, which added Akismet support like your extension, but also checked IP addresses & e-mail addresses on StopForumSpam on registration. But I guess that's outside the scope ;)
I'd probably prefer to have StopForumSpam in a separate extension, so people could mix and match. I don't *think* it'll cause too many problems to do it like that, though it may depend on the extension authors co-operating a bit. I already use my own GeoModerate extension (which just moderates posts from certain countries based on IP) alongside this Akismet extension, and I've not seen any issues...

Cheers,

Matt
I would be interested in a StopForumSpam extension that works at registration.

gothick

Post by gothick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:58 pm

I just released a small update (v0.1.3) with Japanese translations (thanks momo-i!)

Matt

GoBieN

Post by GoBieN » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:09 pm

Any news on the further development?

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”