[3.2][RC] Log Searches

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16535
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

[3.2][RC] Log Searches

Post by david63 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:25 pm

phpbb3-extension-logsearches

Description:
This extension will add a log of search enquires made.

Features:
  • All searches or only "failed" searches can be logged.
  • The search log can be pruned via a cron job.
  • Adds an entry in the Maintenance/Forum logs of the ACP
Languages:
en

Status:
2.1.0 - RC3

Installation:
  • Download the latest release and unzip it.
  • Copy the entire contents from the unzipped folder to root/ext/david63
  • Navigate in the ACP to Customise -> Manage extensions.
  • Find Log searches under "Disabled Extensions" and click Enable.
Repository:
https://github.com/david63/logsearches
Last edited by david63 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16535
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Log Searches

Post by david63 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Reserved
Last edited by david63 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
Webwatcher_eu
Registered User
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: Log Searches

Post by Webwatcher_eu » Fri May 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Changes done in root/search.php. ext installed - no error but the logfil is emty (search log - ACP)
it looks like that this will not be stored. :shock:

User avatar
Webwatcher_eu
Registered User
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: Log Searches

Post by Webwatcher_eu » Fri May 22, 2015 1:52 pm

:P i miss the setup...

User avatar
Webwatcher_eu
Registered User
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: Log Searches

Post by Webwatcher_eu » Fri May 22, 2015 1:56 pm

:D you are a hero! 1000 thx for your great ext it works and will make our live and work a lot of better.

we have to say: THANK YOU!!!! :!:

User avatar
javiexin
Code Contributor
Posts: 1157
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain
Name: Javier
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by javiexin » Fri May 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Hello david63,

Thanks for this extension!

Have you considered using the standard phpbb log instead of new table?

And have you created the ticket to modify the core.search_results_modify_search_title event in the core?
You already have the patch ready, so it should be quick...

If you have not done it yet, and cannot do it, would you want me to do it for you?

-javiexin

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16535
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by david63 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:41 pm

javiexin wrote:Have you considered using the standard phpbb log instead of new table?
I did - but I felt that it was easier to have another table where there was more control, especially with purging it.
javiexin wrote:And have you created the ticket to modify the core.search_results_modify_search_title event in the core?
You already have the patch ready, so it should be quick...
Not yet - I am waiting to make sure it works and that there is nothing else to add before doing that
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
javiexin
Code Contributor
Posts: 1157
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain
Name: Javier
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by javiexin » Fri May 22, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks a lot for your explanations, I understand your decisions :)

-javiexin

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16535
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by david63 » Fri May 22, 2015 5:44 pm

As far as the table is concerned there is also the issue that if I used the log table then I would have to create a script to remove all the data from that table when/if the extension was removed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
javiexin
Code Contributor
Posts: 1157
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain
Name: Javier
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by javiexin » Fri May 22, 2015 5:52 pm

david63 wrote:As far as the table is concerned there is also the issue that if I used the log table then I would have to create a script to remove all the data from that table when/if the extension was removed.
Not really, as these would just be log entries in the User Log? with a special category. You could leave them, or you could just as easily create an SQL query to clean up the user log from entries with this category.
But anyhow, I see the point in having a new table. It's just me, that I prefer to use the existing code and data tables as much as feasible...

Holger
Registered User
Posts: 1756
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:54 pm
Location: Hannover

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by Holger » Fri May 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Really cool David!
Thanks!

User avatar
wkuzma
Registered User
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:18 pm
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by wkuzma » Sat May 23, 2015 2:12 am

I installed your extension and did the change to search.php and all works perfectly.
I do have a question - if a new version of phpbbs comes out will it overwrite the search.php
causing you to have to edit search.php again?

User avatar
Webwatcher_eu
Registered User
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by Webwatcher_eu » Sat May 23, 2015 6:27 am

wkuzma wrote:I do have a question - if a new version of phpbbs comes out will it overwrite the search.php
causing you to have to edit search.php again?
no, a update will not override your changes, i have some other changes (hardcoded) inside and i update this 2 times without any problems.

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16535
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by david63 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:24 am

wkuzma wrote:I installed your extension and did the change to search.php and all works perfectly.
I do have a question - if a new version of phpbbs comes out will it overwrite the search.php
causing you to have to edit search.php again?
It depends on two things:

1. How you do the update - if you do a full file replacement then yes you would have to reapply the edit. Also if you do a "changed files" update and search.php has changed then again you will have to do the edit.

2. If I get the event updated before the next release then no you will not have to reapply the edit as it will be in the core.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
wkuzma
Registered User
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:18 pm
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Log Searches

Post by wkuzma » Sat May 23, 2015 2:48 pm

david63 wrote:
wkuzma wrote:I installed your extension and did the change to search.php and all works perfectly.
I do have a question - if a new version of phpbbs comes out will it overwrite the search.php
causing you to have to edit search.php again?
It depends on two things:

1. How you do the update - if you do a full file replacement then yes you would have to reapply the edit. Also if you do a "changed files" update and search.php has changed then again you will have to do the edit.

2. If I get the event updated before the next release then no you will not have to reapply the edit as it will be in the core.
Thanks David63 and Webwatcher_eu the quick answers.

Post Reply

Return to “Extensions in Development”