[3.2][RC] Topic Age Warning

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
david63
Name: David Wood

[3.2][RC] Topic Age Warning

Post by david63 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:14 pm

phpbb3-extension-topicagewarning

Description:
This extension displays a warning to users when they attempt to reply to a topic that has had no replies for a specified amount of time.

Mod port:
This is a port of the Topic Age Warning mod by imkingdavid

Features:
  • Warning interval can be in Days, Months or Years
  • Topics can be automatically locked when visited after the specified interval
  • The original topic author can be exempt from the warning
  • Those with Moderator permissions will not see the warning
  • The interval before the warning applies can be based on either the original topic start date or the last post date
  • The warning message can be at the top and/or bottom of the viewtopic page[/color]
  • Either "all" forums can be selected or individual forums
Languages:
en

2.1.0-RC3

Installation:
  • Download the latest release and unzip it.
  • Upload the unzipped files to [board root]/ext/david63/topicagewarning and enable it in the ACP
GitHub Repository: https://github.com/david63/topicagewarning

Extension Download:https://github.com/david63/topicagewarn ... ve/3.2.zip
Last edited by david63 on Sat May 25, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

david63

Re: [BETA] Topic Age Warning

Post by david63 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:17 pm

This extension works in a slightly different way to the original mod due to the available events.

Instead of displaying the message when a user attempts to post a reply it now displays the message at the top of the topic and removes the "Reply" buttons and "Quick reply" box (if present).
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

uruguayito

Post by uruguayito » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:28 pm

sounds perfect David.
Thanks for all your hard work ;)
I speak spanish
Sorry for my bad english

Nikola
Name: Nikola

Post by Nikola » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Alright. So far it works nice. Haven't noticed anything unusual. Good job indeed. However, I do have few little suggestion for it, very good ones.

- Ability to target certain forum where this extension will work and exclude forums where this won't work. Or rather, ability to choose different time for certain forums where 0 is do nothing.
- Ability to change the warning message via extension tab. (mostly due to noticeable color and so on).
- Option not to choose instant lock when user clicks on it but rather give them a warning window when about to reply so they are more aware of what's going on.

In any case first suggestion is what I am all for. Depends on the forum you use, some can be allowed some not. Say I have a forum called "Member inactivity" where people announce that they will be away for some time as they give us update. Sometimes they might not be able to update us in time we set the extension to work.

This is very good job you did. Keep it up and thanks.

Nikola.
"What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the genetic pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done."

- Dr. Temple Grandin, A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.

Wesley88

Post by Wesley88 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:31 pm

david63 wrote:This extension works in a slightly different way to the original mod due to the available events.

Instead of displaying the message when a user attempts to post a reply it now displays the message at the top of the topic and removes the "Reply" buttons and "Quick reply" box (if present).
Very very very good work david. Thank you...
i also agree with ability to change values for certain forums...i also have many forums i wouldnt like to lock all at same time...that would make extension super complete...
idk for changing what will warning say, i think you can do it via code...
ty once again. good work.

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Just noticed something unusual, locked half of the forums by clicking on their topic. It locks topic when I visit them despite last reply is not older than number of days I set. Trying to unlock topic it gets autolocked once I click on it and gives no usual warning above the topic. My settings are like these.

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done."

Mauron

Post by Mauron » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:06 am

The extension is very good but I'd put the warning where quick answer box is.

Smithgb

Post by Smithgb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:15 am

Very nice thank you. as mauron said i like it. thanks david good work. and also noticed it locks all topics for me too...

david63

Post by david63 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:54 am

NikolaCR wrote:- Ability to target certain forum where this extension will work and exclude forums where this won't work. Or rather, ability to choose different time for certain forums where 0 is do nothing.
I must admit that when I was working on this I thought that it should be by forum. I should be able to add the ability to select fora - but it will not have different time intervals as that entails a major reworking of eveything to make it forum level.
NikolaCR wrote:- Ability to change the warning message via extension tab. (mostly due to noticeable color and so on).
Not sure what you mean - you can change the message in the language file. Making it a configurable option is not possible due to the fact that it has to be translatable.
NikolaCR wrote:- Option not to choose instant lock when user clicks on it but rather give them a warning window when about to reply so they are more aware of what's going on.
Don't see the point - if it is going to be locked then what difference does it make when it is done?
NikolaCR wrote:Just noticed something unusual, locked half of the forums by clicking on their topic. It locks topic when I visit them despite last reply is not older than number of days I set. Trying to unlock topic it gets autolocked once I click on it and gives no usual warning above the topic. My settings are like these.
I think I know what the problem is with that - I will check it out later.
Mauron wrote:The extension is very good but I'd put the warning where quick answer box is.
I too thought about that at the time but as I am removing the "Reply" button from the top it made more sense to have the message at the top so that users are not complaining about "missing buttons". I can add an option to have it at the bottom as well if you want.
David

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:34 am

Nice job David.

I'm working in spanish translation.

Best regards.
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate with Image
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

david63

Post by david63 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:40 am

Raul [ThE KuKa] wrote:I'm working in spanish translation.
Thanks but can you hold off for a while as there will be some changes
David

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:37 am

OK David, I'm waiting stable version. ;)
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate with Image
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

Mauron

Post by Mauron » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:02 am

david63 wrote:
Mauron wrote:The extension is very good but I'd put the warning where quick answer box is.
I too thought about that at the time but as I am removing the "Reply" button from the top it made more sense to have the message at the top so that users are not complaining about "missing buttons". I can add an option to have it at the bottom as well if you want.
Use case: I somehow reach an aged topic by a link to one of its posts far below the first one, I won't be immediately aware of the notice even though the topic is open and I cannot answer because buttons are missing.

You may consider the chance to put an option to let administrator show it above topic, below it or in both positions.

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:11 am

david63 wrote: Don't see the point - if it is going to be locked then what difference does it make when it is done?
Nvm, Ignore that suggestion. Figured it out it pops up when you click. As for forums not giving a message when locked that is where the issue is. Was thinking you did it on purpose, hence the suggestion. But yeah, it's a bug so ignore the suggestion. Will be gone once issue with locking younger topics is gone.
david63 wrote:
NikolaCR wrote:- Ability to target certain forum where this extension will work and exclude forums where this won't work. Or rather, ability to choose different time for certain forums where 0 is do nothing.
I must admit that when I was working on this I thought that it should be by forum. I should be able to add the ability to select fora - but it will not have different time intervals as that entails a major reworking of eveything to make it forum level.
Thats alright. Will be awesome. Good job. Keep it up.

Nikola.

david63

Post by david63 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Mauron wrote:You may consider the chance to put an option to let administrator show it above topic, below it or in both positions.
That is already in the next version - Admin option to have the message at the top and/or bottom
David

Return to “Extensions in Development”