[CDB] Advanced Profile Fields Pack

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Yros

Re: [DEV] Advanced Profile Fields Pack

Post by Yros »

In order :

- Profile fields limited to certain GROUPS and/or USERS
- Profile fields bar type (setting up a min value, max value, and a allowing the user to enter his own value in it for percentages for example, could be used later on with some systems like points/cash).
- User search based on profile fields
- Profile fields statistic
- Separation of profile field editing in UCP
- Full editor profile fields
- BBcode enabled profile fields

Thanks for the hard work.

javiexin
Code Contributor
Name: Javier

Post by javiexin »

Thanks. The "Bar" profile field type is an interesting new suggestion, but how to fill it in? If you fill it via the UCP (self-fill) or the ACP (admin-fill), then it would be really cumbersome to manage. So there needs to be a way to fill it in from external sources (usually, another extension). How do you propose to do that, yet maintaining integrity of the profile fields? I like this proposal, don't take me wrong, I just want to clarify and understand better the need.
-javiexin

Yros

Post by Yros »

The basic version of the "bar" would be filled by the user himself. An advanced version could be filled based on a pre-determined user field in the DB (for instance: user_points). An even more advanced version could allow to set up min / max value based on specific statistics other than just a pre-defined number but such as the number of days since registration, the number of posts, and so on (I don't really have any example in mind to use it but that's just an idea of how to go even further). Such "bar type profile field" could then be used for things such as karma or mood system (Like "On a scale from 1 to 10, how good is your day ?" or so on). With a little bit of imaginations I think there are plenty of applications possible.

But first, a simple bar where you set up a minimum value, a maximum value, and, well, why not defining a predefined picture or color for the bar or even CSS class (to allow theme's customization) would be more than enough.

alex75
Name: Alessandro

Post by alex75 »

javiexin wrote:Hello all,

I am now looking into additional functionality for Profile Fields, and these are some topics I have in mind, that I would like your opinion and prioritization on.
  1. BBcode enabled profile fields
  2. User search based on profile fields - will require significant core changes and new events
  3. Limit profile fields to certain users - profile fields that only apply to certain users, selectable by user group or by permission? still to be confirmed
  4. Profile field statistics - generate a new page (or multiple pages) with profile field statistics, how many users have/don't have a certain profile field, and other statistics depending on field type
  5. Full editor profile fields - text profile fields that will support full editing, including BBcodes, smilies, etc.
  6. Separation of profile field editing in UCP - add new UPC tab(s) to edit certain profile fields, grouped by topic
  7. Bar profile field type - setting up a min value, max value, and allowing the user/admin to enter his own value in it for percentages for example, could be used later on with some systems like points/cash - suggested by Yros
This list is a LONG list, and besides, most of these functionalities are quite complex to code, so there is no commitment to any of these, this is just a planned features list, that might be reduced or changed any time. And think that these will take significant time to cover these.

What I am asking from you is:
1) Prioritize among these options
2) Suggest new areas or functionalities (with use case examples please)

Thanks a lot,
-javiexin

Here is a list of my preferences:
1- BBcode enabled profile fields
2- User search based on profile fields
3- Profile field statistics
the other points are interesting but perhaps not useful.
I would also add the function of default fields required or not.
example avatar field, birthday, website ... etc etc

javiexin
Code Contributor

Post by javiexin »

Thanks for your priorities.
alex75 wrote:I would also add the function of default fields required or not.
example avatar field, birthday, website ... etc etc
Avatar and birthday cannot be managed the same way, this would be a new core functionality, or the object of a totally different extension. Website is already a profile field, and may be specified as required with the currently existing functionality.

supanet

Post by supanet »

Personally I think it is ok the way it stands, adding too much can sometimes lead to over complicating things.
And also lead to a lot of extra work for little gain. ;)
(Just my opinion :) )

Fast_Eddie
Name: Ed

Post by Fast_Eddie »

Looks like this will be one awesome ext !!!!!!!!!! Would there be a way to log who viewed your profile?

javiexin
Code Contributor

Post by javiexin »

Fast_Eddie wrote:Looks like this will be one awesome ext !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!
Fast_Eddie wrote:Would there be a way to log who viewed your profile?
Most probably yes, but not associated to profile fields, but to general profile viewing. So this would take a completely different extension.

sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

supanet wrote:Personally I think it is ok the way it stands, adding too much can sometimes lead to over complicating things.
And also lead to a lot of extra work for little gain. ;)
(Just my opinion :) )
Since your original post regarding a process order, I and others, have deeply discussed your options listed.
We could not agree on an order :p

But our overall sentiment is echo in the quote above.

Start with something, get i released, then look into expansion, and do not bite off more than you can chew in a timely manner.

My associates and I thank you in advance for your consideration towards the actual end user, which has become so very rare these days <3

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

javiexin wrote:
  1. Separation of profile field editing in UCP - add new UPC tab(s) to edit certain profile fields, grouped by topic
This for me! I've been asking for it for a long time now! :)
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

I'm not sure if this is out og the scope og this ext. Or if it would fit your other ext Advanced polls, better. But I really need a way to list what my members have selected in one or more polls.

So if they choose option 3, it would show in their profile. And I could also see how many in total chose this option. It could for instance be used to predetermin class/role balance in games and similar.

javiexin
Code Contributor

Post by javiexin »

Not sure what you want really.

In the polls extension, you have the ability to know what everyone has voted, for a particular poll. Either publically (for everyone with the right permissions, and if the poll is configured by the poster to publish voters) or only for admins/mods (with another permission, regardless of what the poster decided).

But linking this to a profile field, I don't see any use for it...

Maybe what you are looking for are profile fields with statistics, ie, how many people have selected something for a profile field, and how many have chosen each option.

If this is the case, that was one of the options that I was proposing as future development of this extension (future as in long!).

-javiexin

supanet

Post by supanet »

Volksdevil wrote:
javiexin wrote:
  1. Separation of profile field editing in UCP - add new UPC tab(s) to edit certain profile fields, grouped by topic
This for me! I've been asking for it for a long time now! :)
This is actually quite a good idea. +1 :D

supanet

Post by supanet »

As this extension needs 3.1.6 to run correctly dose anyone know the timeline when 3.1.6 is due to be released. :mrgreen:
Or at least point me to a thread on this forum that can. ;)

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

supanet wrote:dose anyone know the timeline when 3.1.6 is due to be released.
Same answer as always - it will be ready when it is ready, which may be today, tomorrow, next week or next month.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “Extensions in Development”