[3.2.9-3.3.x][RC] Glossary 3.0.20

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
pierredu

Re: [3.1][3.2][RC] Glossary 1.4.13

Post by pierredu »

The only difference is that the parser, on my computer, can't manage some bbcodes you use like highlight.

On the other hand, did you enable the tooltip?

The tooltip is a powerful tool, but also dangerous, in particular when the tooltip text contains terms which are glossary entries. Try to disable the tooltip.
zorni

Post by zorni »

G'day pierredu,

first of all I wanna thank you for this great ext.!

I'm currently testing this on a bigger forum. (Playing with a older backup and a test installation).

Some things which would be cool are:

1) In the overview, the first row should be the acronym itself. (Currently it is "term displayed", which should be the second row of the table, third of course is the long description [Definition of term])

2) The "Category:" should be sortable by catagories. It would be perfect, if categories could be pre-defined in the ACP. So users only have to selct them by a dropdown menu.

3) What are the words "Bibliography", "Webography" and "Illustrations" at the bottom left of the overview page for?

Over all it works fine so far. We will do a stress test these days, by filling in hundreds of acronmys. At the testinstallation we've got ~1.2 Million posts, so we'll see if there are huge performace drops soon :)
pierredu

Post by pierredu »

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Point 1: this could be a problem, because there are variants (singular/plural forms, etc.).

Point 2: which kind of category do you plan to use? On our board, we use it as a grammatical category (adj. noun, etc.). No real need to sort. On our board, the glossary is not open to users. The access to the edition features is reserved to administrators or to 'gloassay editors' (trustworthy peoples).

Point 3: on our board, we have a bilbiographic section at this place. You can safely delete those strings in the language file.

Currently, the glossary runs on a board with 1.200.000 posts and 140.000 topics. I don't expect you should see performance drops.
zorni

Post by zorni »

Hey,

thanks for your answer.

We wanna use it primary as an acronym mod for new players, cause the guys which play the game for years use tons of acronyms, which noobs can't understand. :)

We're a pen & paper roleplaying board for TDE (the dark eye). There are plenty of rulesets over the last 30 years, so we plan to categorize into those rulesets. This helps people to understand, from which ruleset the adventure or rulebook the guys are talking about is.

For deeper going infos we've our own wiki - but the acronym thing is really cool as a kind of quicktip.
pierredu

Post by pierredu »

fine, I'm fond of feedback.
Wanderer777

Post by Wanderer777 »

pierredu wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 2:02 pm Currently, the glossary runs on a board with 1.200.000 posts and 140.000 topics. I don't expect you should see performance drops.
The number of total posts shouldn't matter, it's the number of glossary terms to parse within a single post or topic that seems to affect the board performance. Maybe it gets even worse with a large set of glossary terms to look through :(

Edit: I found another issue with the glossary extension - when enabled, some of the BB codes in the post aren't parsed anymore. When I disable the glossary, BB codes are parsed normally.
pierredu

Post by pierredu »

I'm away for a few days. I would like to see a sample post with such a behaviour.
zorni

Post by zorni »

Hey, it's me again :)

Is there a possibility so show acronyms in Postings case sensitive (as we have written them into the database) That wouldn't parse a lot of words which are written exactly as a lot of acronynms.

Example: We have the Acronym SO. Now everytime a user uses the common word 'so', it's getting parsed.

//edit

Found a solution.

open /ext/lmdi/gloss/event/listener.php

Find

Code: Select all

$variant = strtolower($variant);
Replace with

//$variant = strtolower($variant);
Find

$end = ')\b/ui'; // PCRE - u = UTF-8 - i = case insensitive
Replace with

$end = ')\b/u'; // PCRE - u = UTF-8 - i = case insensitive
pierredu

Post by pierredu »

This is indeed a solution for your needs.

On the other hand, if you use the extension for technical terms, you may have an entry for isopropylen and want to catch also Isopropylen and ISOPROPYLEN.

On the other other hand, the variants can be used to catch iso propylen (with a space).
Kaffe

Post by Kaffe »

Updated to PhpBB 3.2.1 yesterday, and I am now having some problems with the glossary extension.

I am getting this error:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Renderer.php on line 20: DOMDocument::loadXML(): Opening and ending tag mismatch: r line 1 and lmdigloss in Entity, line: 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Renderer.php on line 20: DOMDocument::loadXML(): Extra content at the end of the document in Entity, line: 6

Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to s9e_renderer_8fee5c63152194984176b71ea802285558348f93::at() must be an instance of DOMNode, null given, called in /storage/content/04/103104/vernepleierforum.no/public_html/cache/production/s9e_renderer_8fee5c63152194984176b71ea802285558348f93.php on line 31 and defined in /storage/content/04/103104/vernepleierforum.no/public_html/cache/production/s9e_renderer_8fee5c63152194984176b71ea802285558348f93.php on line 34
.. when trying to add a post containing some of the words from the glossary.

[edit]The error seems to occur when having two or more entries in the glossary which shares some of the same words. In example: "positive reinforcement" and "positive punishment".. When trying to use one of these words in a post, I get the error above. Other entries work fine
pierredu

Post by pierredu »

Indeed.
There is a feature which uses an alphabetical sorting (by length) to avoid most of those problems. But this doesn't work for the sample keywords you're stating.
You'll have to manage those limits.
Kaffe

Post by Kaffe »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to rollback to 3.2.0 as the glossary will be a vital part of the forum.
Kaffe

Post by Kaffe »

I have found out that the bug is not because of two matching words. The error is produced in 3.2.1 when writing a post containing more than x amount of words + x amount of trigger words.
pierredu

Post by pierredu »

Well, thanks for signalling this.
I must confess that I didn't yet test version 3.2.1.
I'll put this at the top of the to-do list.
Kaffe

Post by Kaffe »

Well, I don't know what is what anymore, but I have also encountered this error

504 Gateway Time-out

The server didn't respond in time.
when trying to post with glossier trigger words + bbcodes like

[b][/b]
or