[BETA] Smart Subjects

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

[BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by VSE » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:24 pm

Extension Name: Smart Subjects
Author: VSE

Extension Description: When editing the subject of the first post in a topic, all subsequent posts with matching (Re:) subjects will also be updated to the new subject.

Features:
  • Renaming the first post's subject will update all matching replies to the new title. By default, replies with subjects that match the original subject will be updated (replies with a subject that a poster already changed or replies/posts merged into a topic from elsewhere will not be affected and will retain their unique subject titles).
  • Admins and moderators have the option when editing a first post to update all reply subjects (including non-matching subjects) to match the first post's subject (changing the title is not necessary for it to update the reply titles).
  • The last post's subject displayed on forum index will also be updated (if applicable).
  • Forum based permissions allow you to control which forums and users can use Smart Subjects
Extension Version: 1.0.0-b3

Extension Download: https://github.com/VSEphpbb/smartsubjects/releases

There is nothing to set up or configure. Just install it and relax. Should work with any version of phpBB 3.1/3.2.

Based on the response this extension gets, I will decide on developing this further.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.
Dictated but not read.

hrx

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by hrx » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:19 am

Finally I can sort up titles of subjects along with titles of the reply, some people how are creating the reply they changing title on own and it’s annoying. I thank you for creating this extension. :)
Last edited by hrx on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00 am

hrx wrote:Finally I can sort up titles of subjects along with titles of the reply, some people how are creating the reply they changing title on own and it’s annoying.
This extension won't cure users changing the title of a post within a topic.
VSE wrote:
  • Only replies with subjects that match the original subject will be updated (so replies with a subject that a poster already changed or replies/posts merged into a topic from elsewhere will not be affected, and will retain their unique subject titles)
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:26 am

Excellent. Testing now.

hrx

Post by hrx » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:33 am

Indeed, I thought that it also this way worked. :? So maybe VSE you will improve your extension that to after change title the reply by the user, when I will change the title of the main topic the title of reply of user also changes on such as main. If there is such possibility please enter this possibility into this extension.

TWEagle

Post by TWEagle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:55 pm

+1

OmkePom
Name: IJsbrand Nijboer

Post by OmkePom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:57 pm

THX! :ugeek:

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:25 pm

There was not a request for this?
It is a very good idea, thanks Matt ! ;)
If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate with Image
phpBB International Support Team (Spanish - Español) :flag_es: Online Since 2003
🎨phpBB Professional Premium Themes🔥
Author Translations (Spanish - Spain) :two_hearts:

:warning: I don't support those without the copyright Spanish translation. :warning:

VSE
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:33 am

hrx wrote:Indeed, I thought that it also this way worked. :? So maybe VSE you will improve your extension that to after change title the reply by the user, when I will change the title of the main topic the title of reply of user also changes on such as main. If there is such possibility please enter this possibility into this extension.
Users are allowed to change the title of their replies for a reason. It's not really ethical to change them back, and it's certainly not correct for this extension to blanket overwrite every reply's title with a copy of the first post's title. When posts have different titles, it is usually for a reason. So only titles that match the first post are safe to update to keep in sync with the first post IMO. Otherwise, you are giving any user who creates a topic the ability to overwrite another user's words...and that's just wrong.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.
Dictated but not read.

hrx

Post by hrx » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:23 pm

VSE wrote:Users are allowed to change the title of their replies for a reason. It's not really ethical to change them back, and it's certainly not correct for this extension to blanket overwrite every reply's title with a copy of the first post's title. When posts have different titles, it is usually for a reason. So only titles that match the first post are safe to update to keep in sync with the first post IMO. Otherwise, you are giving any user who creates a topic the ability to overwrite another user's words...and that's just wrong.
If I create a main topic about seriously discussion I don't want to any user change title of his reply, mainly their titles of the reply it ":)" "Hmm" or similar, so what's the use of that to title of reply has such a title? Therefore I want to organize and sett that to all replies has title as the main topic not a smile or something. Could you implement the option to choose change all replies or only these unchanged, is there any problem?

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Do you allow editing of posts? If so what's to stop a user from editing his post again and changing the post title? I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill to be honest.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer

hrx

Post by hrx » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:02 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:Do you allow editing of posts? If so what's to stop a user from editing his post again and changing the post title? I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill to be honest.
I don't allow because is setting the time to edit post. I don't making a mountain out of a molehill. If you haven't anything interesting for writing in this topic so don't writing, you've some complaints to me and I don't like it.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:06 pm

Get over yourself, I've said nothing to offend you. Here's an idea, you don't like the extension don't use the extension. Topic over.

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Great idea for an extension, I've lost count of the number of times I've had to edit a page or more of replies because some numpty ignored my rule about not posting in all uppercase. I agree with Matt & Rich, it should only change the ones that match the original title, if someone has given their reply a different title it shouldn't be changed.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

LavIgor

Post by LavIgor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:52 pm

hrx wrote:If I create a main topic about seriously discussion I don't want to any user change title of his reply, mainly their titles of the reply it ":)" "Hmm" or similar, so what's the use of that to title of reply has such a title? Therefore I want to organize and sett that to all replies has title as the main topic not a smile or something. Could you implement the option to choose change all replies or only these unchanged, is there any problem?
hrx, QuickReply Reloaded has a feature to disable subject edits based on permissions system.
So you can set the permission for moderators and administrators only, subjects of posts from other users will be the same with the topic subject.

Moreover, it is planned to create a setting to remove the subject box from the form instead of disabling it.

Return to “Extensions in Development”