[BETA] Smart Subjects

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
hrx

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by hrx » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Volksdevil wrote:To be fair, hrx requested the extension and got something slightly different...Although I'm sure he appreciates the work by VSE, this isn't quite what he asked for.
I thank you for understanding. You think rationally. Definitely I asked for extension which will enable the change the title of the main topic and also all replies independently what is the title of reply. And what if the topic has a 10 page and on one page is 15 posts and in half they are a stupid titles of replies or instead of the text is dot, then the manually editing these posts is time-consuming and tiring.
LavIgor wrote: OK. I understood what you mean. Then I would like to describe the available features more clearly. Together with Smart Subjects extension these features can let you achieve the requested result.
Also please note that mentioned features do not require quick reply to be enabled in any forum.
All right, thanks for explain.
Volksdevil wrote:Nope. It's not.
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2348431&p=14288361#p14283826

He asked for that ^ To change the topic title and all replies. Not that I'm bothered, just pointing it out as this seems to be turning into a "Why do you want to do that" kind of topic when really it's up to him what he wants. Not everybody has the same needs...
Definitely you understood the best of everyone what I mean when I wrote the topic with request of extension.
VSE wrote:Anyway, I am considering adding a tick-box to the "options" panel when editing a post, available only to the admin, like "Overwrite all reply subjects" or something. So that way only an admin can in fact rewrite all the replies to be Re: the original post title. And the admin would not necessarily need to change the title too, they would just tick that box and whatever the title is, will be applied to all the Re: reply titles. Would that satisfy what hrx is after?
If you add something like that I'll check if it's what I mean about.
Volksdevil wrote:Lol, I see the same thing being asked for there too...I think your idea of the checkbox is a great solution that should make this a very usable and complete extension. 8-)
That will be clear, first I wrote the request of creating such a extension here on forum, when nobody answer then I made a topic on Area51 forum with question if developers phpBB could someday enter such a function into phpBB 3.1.x, thanks to which it would be possible to change the title of the main topic and all titles of the replies.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:49 pm

hrx wrote:I thank you for understanding. You think rationally.
It's the one benefit of my Mental Illness. :) I'm going to give this EXT a try myself actually, cheers for the quick DEV VSE.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
My Volkswagen Corrado G60 | Opel Manta Owners Forum

VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Beta 2 version added. See original post.

Added:
- Forum based permissions to control which forums and users can use this
- An option available to admins in the edit post panel to update all replies to the original post's title (changing the title is not necessary for it to change the reply titles)
smartsubject1.jpg
Admin Overwrite Option
smartsubject1.jpg (5.89 KiB) Viewed 633 times
smartsubjects2.jpg
Forum Permissions
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.
Dictated but not read.

John connor

Post by John connor » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Extension appears to work, however I don't see the permissions. Where would they be? I checked Group Permissions and Group Forum Permissions. I downloaded from your site and not Github. Was that download not updated?

hrx

Post by hrx » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:24 pm

VSE this is what I mean about, now this extension is what I wanted it would be. Where exactly I can find permission on which forums can use this function? I noticed one bug in permissions, don't display english name: Can use Smart Subjects only: ACL_F_SMART_SUBJECTS, my forum is on polish language, I even changed this line on polish language and this don't display in polish.

Mauron

Post by Mauron » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:52 pm

Currently, if I got it right, there is no fallback to en if the user language is not in the extension.
Anyway, you'd have to copy the en folder in the extension, rename it into pl and translate the files inside to have it in Polish.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:57 pm

John connor wrote:Extension appears to work, however I don't see the permissions. Where would they be? I checked Group Permissions and Group Forum Permissions. I downloaded from your site and not Github. Was that download not updated?
There are 2 posts on the topic on VSE's site. you need the second one

http://forum.mattfriedman.me/viewtopic.php?p=1660

hrx

Post by hrx » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Mauron wrote:Currently, if I got it right, there is no fallback to en if the user language is not in the extension.
Anyway, you'd have to copy the en folder in the extension, rename it into pl and translate the files inside to have it in Polish.
I did it, but unfortunately in permissions a text isn't display in polish.

VSE

Post by VSE » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Permissions are under FORUM BASED PERMISSIONS -> Forum Permissions.

Select forum(s). Select group(s). Edit permissions. It's in the "Post" group.

It's also in the Forum Roles, where it is enabled by default for:
Limited Access
Limited Access + Polls
Standard Access
Standard Access + Polls
Full Access

And it's set by default to never for On Moderation Queue role.

The default is for it to be enabled for all forums and all normal members. So it's up to you to restrict in places or for users or usergroups where you don't want it working.
Dictated but not read.

hrx

Post by hrx » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:26 pm

VSE wrote:Permissions are under FORUM BASED PERMISSIONS -> Forum Permissions.

Select forum(s). Select group(s). Edit permissions. It's in the "Post" group.

It's also in the Forum Roles, where it is enabled by default for:
Limited Access
Limited Access + Polls
Standard Access
Standard Access + Polls
Full Access

And it's set by default to never for On Moderation Queue role.

The default is for it to be enabled for all forums and all normal members. So it's up to you to restrict in places or for users or usergroups where you don't want it working.
All right. In the above post I wrote: I noticed one bug in permissions, don't display english name: Can use Smart Subjects only: ACL_F_SMART_SUBJECTS, my forum is on polish language, I copied files from en folder and I created new folder pl and I translated these lines on my language:

Code: Select all

'ACL_F_SMART_SUBJECTS'	=> 'Can use Smart Subjects',

Code: Select all

'OVERWRITE_SUBJECTS'	=> 'Overwrite all reply subjects',
But unfortunately in permission instead display polish text is display: ACL_F_SMART_SUBJECTS
Is it possible to solve this problem?

VSE

Post by VSE » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:58 am

Translations work just fine for me. You are editing and changing files yourself there so you're creating your own problems that can't be helped. Just wait for this extension to eventually have a polish translation by an experienced translator.

See, just fine if I copy the en folder and rename the copy pl.
Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 9.23.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 9.23.20 PM.png (47.45 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Dictated but not read.

hrx

Post by hrx » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:18 am

I think that is well-know how to create polish translate into this extension have to make a folder, example pl and there past these two files from en folder and in two lines change the content. If you think that I can't change two lines from english language into my then you're wrong. I don't know why in permissions didn't display text in my language just: ACL_F_SMART_SUBJECTS, but I loaded anew this extension with polish language and now everything is working.

I give you here two lines in my language and if you can then please implementing this polish translate into your extension, just make in language folder a folder pl and then you know what to do next.

'Can use Smart Subjects',

change to:

'Używanie Smart Subjects',

'Overwrite all reply subjects',

change to:

'Zmień wszystkie tytuły odpowiedzi',
Last edited by hrx on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VSE

Post by VSE » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:57 pm

hrx wrote:I think that is well-know how to create polish translate into this extension have to make a folder, example pl and there past these two files from en folder and in two lines change the content. If you think that I can't change two lines from english language into my then you're wrong. I don't know why in permissions didn't display text in my language just: ACL_F_SMART_SUBJECTS, but I loaded anew this extension with polish language and now everything is working.
For all I know you're using notepad or something that is simply creating invalid and unreadable PHP files. (Is your file UTF-8 file with no BOM and unix line feeds??) As you can see above and below, translations simply work

No translations will be added now because this extension could still change, and that means more language variables could be added. Translations won't be added until this is due for a release version (if there are any that have been made and are complete).

You can get your pl here, and it works for me so if it doesn't for you, then something else, outside of this extension is wrong with your board.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 9.56.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 9.56.30 AM.png (51.88 KiB) Viewed 381 times
Dictated but not read.

hrx

Post by hrx » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:53 pm

VSE wrote: For all I know you're using notepad or something that is simply creating invalid and unreadable PHP files. (Is your file UTF-8 file with no BOM and unix line feeds??) As you can see above and below, translations simply work

No translations will be added now because this extension could still change, and that means more language variables could be added. Translations won't be added until this is due for a release version (if there are any that have been made and are complete).

You can get your pl here, and it works for me so if it doesn't for you, then something else, outside of this extension is wrong with your board.
As I wrote above translation work correctly. Files I edited in program notepad++, files was saved in utf8 without bom as files with english language. All right, if you'll release stable version this extension and if will be more text to translation then I'll do translation.

Return to “Extensions in Development”