[ABD] H1 Header Link

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

[ABD] H1 Header Link

Post by Volksdevil »

Please let me know if you install it, and it works as it should. :) And any coding advice appreciated if you look over the code.

Extension Name:
H1 Header Link.

Extension Description:
Turns the <H1> in the header of your board into a link.

Features:
  • Nothing exciting to speak of.
Demo URL:
http://www.testphpbb.co.uk
User: Test
Pass: testing

Extension Download:
http://www.testphpbb.co.uk

Install instructions:
Download and extract the zip folder.
Upload the 'volksdevil' folder to your boards 'ext' folder so that you have:
YOUR_BOARD_ROOT/ext/volksdevil/h1headerlink
Navigate to the 'customise' tab and enable the 'H1 Header Link' extension.

To maximise usage, you need to be sure that the following fields in ACP > Board settings are filled out with good names etc:
  • Site name
  • Board index test
  • Main website URL (If applicable)
  • Main website test (If applicable)
'Board Index' or 'Home' aren't really good titles, you should use the 'Name' of your site whether it be the forum, or the main website entries if you also use those.

Screenshots:

Author:
Volksdevil

Extension Version:

Requirements:
Only developed with prosilver in mind. Can work for others.
Last edited by Volksdevil on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
divingbrit

Re: [Alpha] H1 Header Link

Post by divingbrit »

Installed on Areo Green style, replaces "Sporting-Lincs Forum" with a link saying HOME, which points to www.sporting-lincs.com So it works, but not sure why I would need it, but I am sure someone will find it useful.
Shy but working at it
Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Ah, apologies...I've forgotten to check/test the 'Home' variable as I don't use it. I'll sort that when I can. Although your site seems to have a strange setup with two breadcrumb links [Home & Board index]?

The end goal is to add a little SEO, as it's not ideal having the logo as a link and not the <H1>. Having the H1 as a link is better thought of. Also gives a better navigation on mobile ;)

Have you edited any core files? As the H1 should stay as 'Sporting-Lincs Forum' I think...

Could you share what you have for these settings?
My phpBB Extensions
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the h1s are considered important by the search engines but that is because it is assumed that anything of that size would be content related/important etc.

never heard anything about having a h1 be a link making any difference for SEO.

certainly can't hurt.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Yeah, I've read it quite a lot Robert. Mainly regards internal link flow...Ideally I'd like to use template events around the H1 and the description underneath, it can be optimised quite a lot by making the description paragraph underneath become dynamic, and also turned into a H2.

If you're on Google+ Robert/anybody else, this is a great community. When you ask good questions on there, the guys will get together in a hangout video and answer them:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 4667803217
My phpBB Extensions
divingbrit

Post by divingbrit »

Site Name - Sporting-lincs.forum
Site Description - Now 1600+ Lincolnshire Sports Clubs in our Database
Main Website URL - http://www.sporting-lincs.com/index.php
Shy but working at it
Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

OK, I see you have the Main Website URL field filled out when you don't/shouldn't need it ;) It's creating an extra link to the same place. It's only used if you have a main website [None phpBB] and then have your forum at mainwebsite.com/forum for example.

I've updated my first post to include the below...
Volksdevil wrote: To maximise usage, you need to be sure that the following fields in ACP > Board settings are filled out with good names etc, your 'site name' is fine:
  • Site name
  • Board index test
  • Main website URL (If applicable)
  • Main website test (If applicable)
'Board Index' or 'Home' aren't really good titles, you should use the 'Name' of your site whether it be the forum, or the main website entries if you also use those.
My phpBB Extensions
Macko
Name: Mac Ko

Post by Macko »

Is this still needed, if you want to improve SEO, or is this already included in the latest 3.2?

I find it very strange that phpBB doesn't build a lot of this into their core software, as it seems it would be easy to implement, and who DOESN'T want to have their pages set up automatically for SEO's sake?

I am a huge fan of phpBB, but it often seems like the most basic of things that should be in it aren't. And I'm talking about things like this that everyone would say 'couldn't hurt' and many would say you're crazy not to use it.

I recently realized we don't have h1 tags on our homepage (and probably every other page) and a couple devs suggested we do something about it, so I'm looking around for solutions. Is this one such solution for us? If anyone wants to look at our forum and inspect the elements of a few topic pages and tell me if there are any OBVIOUS things we should do I will be forever grateful to you.

Thanks.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: [ABD] H1 Header Link

Post by Paul »

This topic has been marked as [ABD] - Abandoned as the extension author has not been active recently. If the extension author wishes to continue development, please PM anyone on the Extension Customisations Team to request this topic be unlocked.

Notice!
We do not recommend that a user of the phpBB software install this extension, or any other extension that is marked as “abandoned” or “in development”, on a live forum. Doing so may cause your forum to not perform in the manner it should.

Thank you,
The phpBB Extension Customisations Team

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”