[CDB] Digests 3.2.11

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.3-RC10

Post by MarkDHamill »

See the first post. You may have to precede curl with the path.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:32 pm See the first post. You may have to precede curl with the path.
Ok, looks like I need to add this

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/php -f 
before the curl.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The path may be different depending on where hosts decide to place curl.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:42 pm The path may be different depending on where hosts decide to place curl.
I think I found the right code, it seems cloudflare is causing an issue. Unless I have the code set wrong.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

MarkDHamill wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:49 am Version 3.2.3 fixes this issue. However you must make these changes.
Those changes didn't seem to have fixed the issue as the log is still getting filled with this time zone error. I'll have to dig further and add some additional debugging output.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If you program a cron that calls your forum pretending to be a browser, it should look something like this:

* * * * * curl -A=Mozilla/4.0 http://www.yourforum.com/forum/cron.php?cron_type=cron.task.cron_task
In addition with this approach do not enable the system cron feature in ACP > Server settings.

You don't call /ext/phpbbservices/digests/cron/task/digests.php directly using a cron. The digests extension uses phpBB's cron system.

It's can't hurt to purge the cache.
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Yeah I purged the cache when I made the changes of course. What I just tried is resetting the Digests through the option in the ACP and cleared the error log. So far so good this seems to have alleviated the errors and I'm receiving the Digests it seems. I'll let you know if anything changes and have to add some debug code throughout.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

Is this what a succesful run looks like?

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
  0    43    0    43    0     0     29      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--   120
GIF89a    €  ÿÿÿ   !ù      ,           D  ;
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

There should be evidence in the Admin log if digests are working, unless you turned that setting off. ACP > Extensions > Digests > General settings.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 pm There should be evidence in the Admin log if digests are working, unless you turned that setting off. ACP > Extensions > Digests > General settings.
Thanks. It appears it was successful. I hate being a newb. Thanks for the help.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The first post if follow it carefully is a fount of useful information. :roll:
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I am getting close to a 3.2.4 release. I'm trying to get some independent testing before releasing it. Testing it in all its permutations is hard, which means that testing every variation is pretty much impossible. Mostly I have been cleaning up /cron/task/digests.php where most of the action happens. Since there are three modes for creating digests (manual, phpBB cron and system cron) most of my testing has been in this area. Unfortunately, it's also the hardest part to troubleshoot. Mostly I have to debug using the admin log. I introduced a language variable simply to facilitate this testing, LOG_CONFIG_DIGESTS_TEST.

If you would like a prerelease version, send me a PM. Bear in mind there might be further changes before release.

Change log so far:
New features

- None

Major bugs fixed

- Fixed bug in mailer that incorrectly reported the hour that was run using 12 hour format (0-12) instead of 24 hour format (0-24), leading to false log entries such as hour 1 could actually have been hour 13
- Fixed bad positional parameters in the DIGESTS_DISCLAIMER language variable, fix from petr-hendl pull request (thanks)
- Fixed bug that creates a user timezone object if it does not exist. In cron mode sometimes it was not present or deallocated. It is needed to make dates and hours print out in a language independent fashion.

Minor bugs fixed

- All hours and time zone offsets are cast as floats since time zones are not necessarily offset by an integer from UTC.
- Default text for maximum display words in the ACP is no longer the same as what is in the UCP. Needed to revert to the previous language string because -1 in this value will show full display text by default.
- Language string LOG_CONFIG_DIGESTS_HOUR_RUN uses positional parameters, fix from petr-hendl pull request (thanks)
- When digests are run manually they are no longer stopped if it's been less than an hour since a digests was sent to the same user
- Fixed certain admin log entries that were added even if the logging option was turned off

Tweaks and improvements

- New check_send_hour helper function reduces duplicative code and centralizes all send hour offset logic
- PHP and template variables with gmt in the name are changed to utc
- <br /> changed to <br> when used inside of variables and expressions
- <hr /> tags in templates changed to <hr> when used inside of variables and expressions
- Constants are used to identify the mode the mailer is running (manual, regular and phpbb), makes code easier to read
- Function validateDate renamed validate_date for consistency
- Pretty quotes &rsquo;, &ldquo; and &rdquo; in language strings since this was an issue flagged by the extension review team while reviewing my Smartfeed extension
- Removed language string LOG_CONFIG_DIGESTS_DIRECTORY_CREATE_ERROR (no longer needed because this error is not easily trapped in ext.php)
- digests_html.txt uses new .newline class which makes it less likely digests will look odd, from petr-hendl pull request (thanks)
- Version check checks a new file specific to phpBB 3.2 releases
- Logic for creating and removing a /cache/phpbbservices/digests folder moved into ext.php from /cron/task/digests.php where it logically belongs as it should happen when the extension is installed
- Constructor for digests class is fully documented
- Moved board disabled check (which keeps digests from going out when the board is disabled) into the should_run function of the cron
- Made the logic in the run function of the mailer less complicated
- Since largely the same code was used to create attachment markup for both posts and private messages, moved it into a function
- Log date format shows two digit months, days and hours
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:42 pm The first post if follow it carefully is a fount of useful information. :roll:
Only if you know how to use it properly ;)
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.4-RC11

Post by MarkDHamill »

Version 3.2.4-RC11 is officially released. See the first post for links to get the download.

The change notes are unchanged from two posts before.

Let me know if you find any issues. I am thinking I am close to submitting the extension for a second review. Since it is a very large extension, the extension review team will probably find new issues. If you see things that don't appear to be the best way of doing things with extensions or don't quite follow all the standards please let me know. It generally takes three months for a review.
NastyBoy
Name: Tim

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.4-RC11

Post by NastyBoy »

Hello Mark
i want to install that Ext.
I did it exactly according to your instructions.
Have a new folder made and then uploaded but unfortunately did not work. Can you help me?

Return to “Extensions in Development”