[CDB] Digests 3.2.11

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Praggle

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.6-RC13

Post by Praggle »

I would think that filtering and sorting belongs to a vertical column and to the actual view. This should be refreshed.
Edit actions should be submitted and they belong to horizontal rows that have been marked.

But maybe it is my personal point of view and my habits.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Praggle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 pm
In ACP -> Edit Subscribers
I have realized in my 3.0.7 installation, that filtering of the list (Show: e.g. Subscribed) is getting lost, when you go forward to the next page. In my board I have about 60 subscribers. When I start filtering the number of pages is reducing from 37 to 4 and only members with subscription are shown, but when I want to go to the next page or to a specific page all 37 pages are showing up again and unsubscribed members are mixed with subscribed.
I looked at this and it doesn't happen to me. Maybe this was a bug I fixed since 3.0.7.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
Praggle

Post by Praggle »

Thank you Mark. Then you can forget it.

I have tested with two different Browsers only in 3.0.7. Can't test with 3.2.6 because I have no phpBB-3.2-installation running.
MarkDHamill

Re: Some options suggestions for Digests

Post by MarkDHamill »

bonnaphil wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:49 pm Hello,

I have 2 option suggestions for Digests to submit :

Option 1

As I am the forum admin and more generally for all the admins and moderators, it could be interesting to have a digest sent every X hours, in order to be reactive when a post is sent that need an answer. This would avoid to stay connected to the forum that is not always possible.

To avoid server load problem this option could be set using one of the following way :

1/ In the ACP bu adding an option to allow the admin and/or the moderator group to have an option set in UCP that allow them to set the digest to be sent every X hours (but not for the regular users of course)

2/ Or, to have a list of users (limited to the admin and/or moderator group) that could be allowed to have an option set in UCP that allow them to set the digest to be sent every X hours.

Option 2

In order to have a « heart beat » from the forum, I would suggest to add an option that would send in any case to the admin group an email at the UCP defined periodicity with either the digests content as it is the case currently but also a simple message « No posts posted on the forum since the last sending period » if no posts have been posted to the forum. Currently I can see on the ACP maintenance panel that no message has been sent to me (admin) because there was no messages posted on the forum. The idea (independently from option 1) could be to send a simple message to the admin group members only « No posts posted on the forum since the last sending period » in that case. So I would get at least a message every day from the forums, as I am registered to receive a daily digest. So I would be aware that everything is fine one the forum server. This would have the advantage to detect any failure with the forum server if I don't receive a message from the forum one day.

Please let me know what do you think about those both options. Thank you !
Philippe, both these suggestions would require major changes to the digest architecture. For example, digests can be sent daily, weekly or monthly. To add a new type like every six hours would require extensive changes to the mailer. As such without a lot of others requesting something similar I probably won't implement it.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
nou nou

Post by nou nou »

Also, I guess the whole point of subscribing to Digests is not direct feedback, but a more laidback approach to being informed of what happens on a forum?

If admins and moderators need direct email feedback they could just subscribe to the entire forum using the default options. Just my 0.02$...
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.6

Post by MarkDHamill »

A new release of digests is now available. See the first post for a download link.

Sorry for the confusion about release numbers. This one is called simply 3.2.6 which because of the bad release nomenclature I used for previous releases is built on top of 3.2.6-RC13. Anyhow, it has been submitted to the extensions review team for review. It should pass this time as their issues were relatively minor.

I won't bother to mention the little changes requested by the extensions review team. You can see all the changes in GitHub if curious. Here are some notes though that may be of interest:
  • The RC-xx string is no longer in the composer.json file
  • Some ACP screens look a little different. Mostly the white backgrounds for the fieldsets on these screens have been removed. Many of the ACP legend language strings have been nulled since they are redundant.
  • Edit subscribers has had certain controls moved around to make it look more "standard", basically look more like screens that do similar things. This involved moving the pagination links, fixing some padding and changing the alignments of some buttons. I was modeling it against the screen for the Admin log.
  • Fixed a sprintf bug in the ACP interface. $order_by_sql had to be specified twice.
  • Added the latest logic supplied by Petr Hendl (Czech translator) for properly placing multiple digests in the queue. I realized for some time now that digests are no longer being sent out one at a time, and they will use the queue, so I corrected the documentation that said otherwise.
  • Fixed a bug that did not place and center the table of contents header properly in HTML digests (did not affect Plain HTML digests)
One thing I did NOT do was implement a suggestion by Petr Hendl to write a better .htaccess file for the /cache/phpbbservices/digests folder that accommodates Apache 2.4+. I tried it but I couldn't get it to work despite a lot of trial and testing. In any event, my development machine has Apache 2.4 and it accepted the old syntax just fine.

Translators, the following language strings were changed/removed:
  • Removed DIGESTS_REFRESH
  • Changed DIGESTS_RUN_TEST_CLEAR_SPOOL_EXPLAIN
  • Changed DIGESTS_SEARCH_FOR_MEMBER_EXPLAIN
  • Changed ACP_DIGESTS_GENERAL_SETTINGS_EXPLAIN
  • Changed ACP_DIGESTS_BALANCE_OPTIONS
  • Changed ACP_DIGESTS_TEST_EXPLAIN
Thanks to all who provided bug reports, critiques, etc. Certainly this extension would not get approved at all without your help. I am particularly grateful for those who helped me through writing migration programs properly so all the settings from the phpBB 3.0 mod carried over correctly and probably most importantly in the phpBB way.
Papa J

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.6; Intallation problem

Post by Papa J »

We used a digests extension on a phpBB bulletin board for a number of years. After attempts to update badly out of date software, I gave up and did a fresh install of phpBB 3.2.2. The board itself is working well, but I can't get Digests 3.2.6 to install. I downloaded the extension from the link at the top of this topic, unzipped it, the loaded the files via fpt to the host system (HostGator using PHP 7.0) using the designated directory structure. the digests showed up in the Extensions Manager as advertised, but each time try to enable it I get I get the following:

Fatal error: Uncaught phpbb\module\exception\module_exception: CANNOT_REMOVE_MODULE in /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/phpbb/module/module_manager.php:448 Stack trace: #0 /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/phpbb/db/migration/tool/module.php(420): phpbb\module\module_manager->delete_module(312, 'acp') #1 [internal function]: phpbb\db\migration\tool\module->remove('acp', 'ACP_CAT_DOT_MOD...', 'ACP_CAT_DIGESTS') #2 /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/phpbb/db/migration/tool/module.php(454): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #3 [internal function]: phpbb\db\migration\tool\module->reverse('add', 'acp', 'ACP_CAT_DOT_MOD...', 'ACP_CAT_DIGESTS') #4 /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/phpbb/db/migrator.php(714): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #5 /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/phpbb/db/migrator.php(683): phpbb\db\migrator->run_step(Array, false, true) #6 /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/phpbb/db/migrator.php(436): phpbb\db\migrator->process_data_step(Array, Array) #7 /home2/holisti2/public_html/y in /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/phpbb/module/module_manager.php on line 448

yzlB7VZJcK is the directory in which the phpBB software is installed. After each attempt to install, the ACP_CAT_DIGESTS module and several child modules are present in the Admin Control Panel part of Module Management, and UPC_DIGESTS in the User Control Panel, but not in the actual ACP or UCP in the board. Digests is also listed as "Enabled" in the Extensions Manager. I've not been able to find any changes in the database. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Were you bringing over users from a previous installation of digests? Or is this a fresh install?
Papa J

Post by Papa J »

Thanks for the quick response, Mark. We used an earlier version of Digests on a (really) old version of phpBB for several years with great success. Now that I'm retired, we decided to relaunch, but the software was so badly out of date that we decided to start over. I first installed a generic fresh install of phpBB 3.2.2 to use as a model. I then did a separate fresh install of the scripts, imported the content data from the old version, then manually removed all modules not included in ver. 3.2.2, and all tables not included in the basic 3.2.2 database. All DIGEST_ tables were removed in the process.

The board is working well, and we have successfully activated a mailing list, post numbers, and Lightbox extensions subsequent to my first posting. The first extension we tried to activate was Digest, and I get exactly the same results when I try to activate it with the other extensions in place. One thing I have not done is search out any DIGEST_ related variables in the remaining tables.

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded, and thanks again for your time and help.
Papa J

Post by Papa J »

I just reread your question, and yes, we did bring over the users from the old board, and some of them were Digest subscribers.
Praggle

Post by Praggle »

Maybe my update-instructions could be helpful for you. I had also some problems with old modules:

viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2354426&start=630#p14940801

I had to delete them manually in the database.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I should probably turn this into a Digests FAQ on how to remove any digest leftovers from bad installs.

viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2354426&p=14752266#p14752266
Papa J

Post by Papa J »

Thanks, guys. I'm on my way to check them out. I'll post the outcome.
Papa J

Post by Papa J »

Close, but no cigar. Actually I'm pleased with the progress. If I read this error message:

"Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to phpbbservices\digests\core\common::__construct() must be an instance of phpbb\language\language, none given, called in /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/ext/phpbbservices/digests/migrations/release_3_0_2_data.php on line 33 and defined in /home2/holisti2/public_html/yzlB7VZJcK/ext/phpbbservices/digests/core/common.php on line 27"

I missed a record (release_3_0_2_data.phhp) in the migrations table? Nothing was written to the other tables except modules.

I'll try tomorrow and let you kne=ow
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I assume you are trying to retain the settings from an install of the digests mod for phpBB 3.0?

If it's not important follow my steps for clearing away Digests settings a couple of posts back and try a fresh install.

Return to “Extensions in Development”