[CDB] Digests 3.2.11

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Praggle

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.8

Post by Praggle »

kamaleon wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:43 am
Looking forward to that update to avoid confusing users as most don't even know what html is and probably email spam filters also would be happier without some of these words.

Thanks.
Your users can choose between differet types of digest layouts in their UCP. Plain Text is also possible.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

I am aware of that thanks.

But by default they get html, even if they see txt they won't know what it is :)
This is a test signature. I hope you love it :D
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Thanks for the suggestions. I could use a different word than HTML, pretty digests perhaps? Looking for suggestions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
Praggle

Post by Praggle »

kamaleon wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 am But by default they get html
You can change this default setting in ACP.

From my experience most users can find these options in their UCP. And they can try the different appearences until they are happy with it. "HTML" and "Plain Text" are well known terms.

Mark, maybe you could write: HTML (graphically enhanced style). "Plain HTML": I'm also uncertain, what is meant by that. Is it "Rich Text", a safer form of HTML. We might put a short explanation in brackets.

Praggle
(German translation)
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

Have a look at these beautiful email digests

https://jennamolby.com/14-beautifully-d ... spiration/

None gives details to confuse the user at the bottom of the email.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Thanks for the suggestions. One thing I've learned about digests with HTML in them is you can't count on the software that reads the digest to format it correctly or consistently. Certain web-based mail programs will strip out background colors and images, for example. There is something of an art to creating HTML formatted email that looks good and will get accepted.

There are certainly things I could do to make them less geeky and more human understandable. Integrating fancy looking digests is probably not in the cards.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

Just making sure it is a responsive email would be great

https://litmus.com/community/learning/2 ... om-scratch

In my opinion, this is one of the best extensions to get a forum up from the ground as you already have a user in the forum which is the hardest part, and you just need to keep him interested in the forum and the rest (getting more users) should be easier down the road.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Good points. The templates certainly can be responsive. I'm surprised I hadn't pondered that before. I'll see what I can do.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

In order to translate this extension do I need to modify these files and place them in the correct folder?

digests_html.txt digests_subscribe.txt digests_text.txt
digests_plain_html.txt digests_subscription_edited.txt digests_unsubscribe.txt

Please, can you confirm?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

You would need to place them in /ext/phpbbservices/digests/language/<code> where <code> is the language code, for example, es for Spanish. The easiest way is to copy the English language files into this folder and then change the English.

Note that I do not package these into a release. Some authors do but it is discouraged. Rather, the README.MD points to places where these translations can be downloaded.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

But I can see there is html in these files.

Shouldn't the strings be in a separate file?

If you make the emails responsive, I will have to translate them again?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

No. Do not change any of the HTML tags in these templates. Translate only the embedded English where it exists.

phpBB's emailer only sends text emails. Digests changes this behavior so HTML can be sent, thus certain templates have HTML in them.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

So these files will never change?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

It's possible the HTML will change in a future version, in which case you will have to adjust the HTML in your translation too. Since these are on GitHub, it's pretty easy to see the changes in these files between releases.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

Hummm, too much of a mess. A mistake on an html file and I'm screwed...

There should be some other way...

Return to “Extensions in Development”