[CDB] Digests 3.2.11

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
odf

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.4-RC11

Post by odf »

Hi MarkDHamill,

Nice extension but there is a little problem, the digest ext for phpbb 3.2 sends messages to user emails but I do not know why names of users and links are not parsed, a message looks like this:

Dear DIGESTS_SALUTATION_BLURB,

This is the latest digest of post(s) from %s ...................

So, the name of the user is replaced by "DIGESTS_SALUTATION_BLURB" and links are not parsed, as "%s" is sent as is.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Perhaps you are using an older version? Or upgraded from an older version? I tested it and this works fine. The current version is 3.2.4. The first post has a link where it can be downloaded.

If you are using an old language translation that may be the issue.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
odf

Post by odf »

Hi MarkDHamill,

Thank you very much for the extension and for taking time to clarify an issue. I've installed [RC] Digests 3.2.4-RC11, and it now works great!

Keep up the good work!

odf
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.5-RC12

Post by MarkDHamill »

Digests version 3.2.5-RC12 is released! In addition, it's been submitted for extension team review. With luck it may finally get approved. Given its complexity I expect they will reject it again. I expect it will take a few months to get a review, based on past experience.

See the first post for a download link or download the archive from my site.

Not much new, fixed some bugs, most changes are to the ACP:
  • Templates were converted to use TWIG syntax. Minor HTML5 validation errors were also fixed.
  • Fixed bug in Edit Subscribers that would store a user_digest_send_hour_gmt outside the valid values of 0 - 23 in certain cases
  • Balance load now has individual columns to show daily, weekly and monthly subscribers for a particular hour rather than use bold and italics to distinguish digest types
  • Fixed bug in get_subscribers_for_hour function. The second parameter for the function is supposed to be an offset in hours from UTC.
  • ACP edit subscribers and balance load functions now have different background colors for alternating table rows
  • As many inline styles as possible were moved into stylesheets
  • Fixed various SQL statements to cast values into integers or floats explicitly. This is a phpBB coding standards requirement.
  • In the admin log, dates now actually show two digit months and day
  • includes/html_messenger.php, which overrides the messenger class, was updated to include new code added in /includes/functions_messenger.php since the html_messenger class was first created
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

I'e updated the extension, nut is still showing previous version number and rc
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

That's odd. I assume you disabled the extension, removed the old files, uploaded the new files and enabled the extension again. If you did all that, try refreshing the cache.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:59 pm That's odd. I assume you disabled the extension, removed the old files, uploaded the new files and enabled the extension again. If you did all that, try refreshing the cache.
Yes I have done all those steps

Just dumped the cache. Still saying the last version rc number.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Check the composer.json file for the extension. It should show on line 6:

"version": "3.2.5-RC12",

If it does it suggests you have the right software, if not perhaps you download the wrong software.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02 pm Check the composer.json file for the extension. It should show on line 6:

"version": "3.2.5-RC12",

If it does it suggests you have the right software, if not perhaps you download the wrong software.

Code: Select all

"name": "phpbbservices/digests",
	"type": "phpbb-extension",
	"description": "Sends daily, weekly or monthly digests of posts or bookmarked topics to subscribers via email.",
	"homepage": "https://phpbbservices.com/digests_wp",
	"version": "3.2.4-RC11",
	"license": "GPL-2.0",
	"authors": [
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

I re-downloaded the file again, same thing.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:15 am Digests version 3.2.5-RC12 is released! In addition, it's been submitted for extension team review. With luck it may finally get approved. Given its complexity I expect they will reject it again. I expect it will take a few months to get a review, based on past experience.

link or download the archive from my site.

This link is the correct version, the first post is the link to the previous version
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I see. The GitHub branch 3.2.5-RC12 contains 3.2.4-RC11. Not sure how that happened but I need to figure out how to remove that branch. The link is corrected on the first post to master.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Branch 3.2.5-RC12 is now correct. Sorry for the issue.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Thanks to Petr Hendl for noticing this bug. If you have the queue turned on (email_package_size > 0), digests won't go out (or more specifically, be placed in the queue) unless the messenger object's save_queue() function is called. So after line 1181 of version 3.2.5 in /cron/task/digests.php add:

Code: Select all

// save queue for later delivery (if applicable)
						$html_messenger->save_queue();

MarkDHamill

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.6-RC13

Post by MarkDHamill »

This version incorporates the bug that Petr Hendl fixed. See the first post for the link.

Thanks again Petr. In my testing I was only able to get it to mail when the email_package_size = 0. I assumed this was something about how my web server email interface was configured. I also assumed that when $html_messenger->send() was called it placed it into the queue unless email_package_size = 0. It's counter-intuitive to call $html_messenger->send() and then have to call $html_messenger->save_queue() afterward to ensure it gets in the queue.

In any event thanks for digging into this. It's an important bug to fix.

Return to “Extensions in Development”