[RC] Digests 3.2.4-RC11

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.0-RC7

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:01 pm

No one gets daily digests? The config value normally is updated at least once a day as daily digests go out.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed mods and extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

whocarez

Post by whocarez » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:08 pm

The people have mostly these weekly digests after a mass subscription and the next turn is on Saturday. So as far as I understand after the reset, all is normal yet. The cron job is also regularly starting and ending.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:31 pm

$this->config['phpbbservices_digests_cron_task_last_gc'] is updated every time the digests mailer is run successfully, whether it sends out digests or not. The mailer is normally run from a phpBB cron, but if you set up a system cron you need to make sure it is set to run regularly, i.e. at least once an hour because the expectation is that one or more digests may go out for any hour. This ensures timely delivery of digests, usually in the hour requested, or shortly afterward. The documentation on the system cron shows the cron being run every minute. That's probably overkill. In any event the digest mailer will get run if the cron is executed and an hour or more has elapsed since the last time a digest was sent out, based on the value stored above in the phpbb_config table.

stevenospam

admin log filling up Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.0-RC7

Post by stevenospam » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:27 pm

I have converted from phpbb3.0 to 3.2 and I've installed the new digests extension. It seems to be working well except that I get a message in the admin log for digests not sent:
A digest was NOT sent to 67USERNAME because user filters and preferences meant there was nothing to send

How do I turn this off? I've been searching & searching but I can't find the config option.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 pm

You can turn off digest logging in general, but you can't turn off this specific log message. The point of a log is to keep a record so you can see what transpired and when. To turn off logging: ACP > Extensions > Digests > General settings > Write all digest actions to the admin log.

stevenospam

Post by stevenospam » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:03 pm

All is well.
I would like to take a moment to thank you for creating and maintaining Digests. I support a forum that is the communication vehicle for ~2,000 property owners in Panama. Digests are the primary method of communication and the forum would be useless without them.

Thank you!

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 pm

I hope it continues to work for you. It was originally released as a phpBB 2 mod in 2003.

whocarez

Post by whocarez » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Hello Mark,
I only want to inform you, that this week everything went well. So, once again, thank you for your help and of course for your extension!

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks. A new version is on the way. Some of the new features so far and major bug fixes:
Administration Control Panel

- NEW FEATURE: Switch allows administrator to show the full forum path in digests. If set this applies to all users.
- NEW FEATURE: Dates are translated into the language needed. The PHP date function only works with English formatted dates. strftime and a new function is used to translate things like month names from English to the language desired.

General

- MAJOR BUG FIX: Migrations of Digests from phpBB 3.0 no longer fails because an instance of the tools factory was not first declared. (This was not necessary in phpBB 3.1.)

Template changes

- MAJOR ENHANCEMENT: HTML digests look "prettier". Background colors subtly change between posts within a topic making it easier to distinguish when posts begin and end. Background colors are consistent. Page background is now white. DIV boxes containing text no longer stretch across the width of the window.

Mailer

- NEW FEATURE: If show the forum path is enabled, the forum name in the digest will appear something like Category 1 :: Forum 1 :: Category A :: Forum B. Otherwise it will just show Forum B.
- MAJOR BUG FIX: List of posts for the time period is no longer constrained by the SQL call to limit the maximum number of digests based on the administrator or user's maximum posts settings. This can cause other users to not see posts.
- MAJOR BUG FIX: Fixed bug that did not correctly compute month start and end dates for monthly digests. Date function was incorrectly called generating a warning.
- NEW FEATURE: Digest translator can now be optionally identified and linked at the bottom of the digest.
- MAJOR BUG FIX: Fixed bug that did not properly sort posts for some digests because no array was initialized.
- NEW FEATURE: Dates appearing in digests are now translated to show month names and days of week (including abbreviations) in the user's language.

dafinch

Post by dafinch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Mark,

First I want to say thank you for this great extension. I have been using it with versions of phpbb 2.0 and phpbb 3.0.

We just brought up a phpbb 3.1 and installed 3.0.7-RC6 of the digest extension on it. Right now I'm having one issue. The department this is being setup for only wants the emails to go out Monday-Friday. So I have the server cron configured to trigger once every hour and only Monday-Friday. 99% of our users are set for a daily digest at 6:00am.

The first week went fine. But on the next Monday all the emails went out at 1:00 (the first hour the cron started triggering again). What I found looking at the logs was that it attempted to send out mail for every hour since the last cron was triggered the prior Friday night.

I found that I had the Run periodic tasks from system cron set to no. So I changed that to a yes and thought that was resolve the issue. But again this Monday it did the exact same thing. I double checked and that setting is still set to Yes.

My assumption was that when I ran the system cron it would only check for the hour it runs (that was how the previous versions worked). Is that wrong?

Thank you

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:47 pm

dafinch, you are attempting to use digests in a way that it was never intended. It was never designed be turned off on weekends. From the beginning as a phpBB 2.0 mod, digests were intended to be sent once an hour, 7 days a week. As a mod, it required setting up a cron job on your web server calling mail_digest.php to do this once an hour every day of the week, and only once an hour.

As an extension, it works inside phpBB's cron system. phpBB crons run whenever there is board traffic. When there is board traffic, if an hour has elapsed since digests were last sent out, digests go out. If it has been many hours, many hours of digests will go out. See the first post of the topic.

If you create a system cron to run at least hourly, it still calls phpBB's cron system. So if you disable a cron on your web server on the weekend, a queue will develop. If "down" for two days it will process 48 hours before catching up.

Ideally, don't turn a cron off on weekends so no queue develops. If you insist on doing this anyhow, the best thing to do is to have each user's digest settings tuned so they are not sent a digest if there are no posts, which should not happen on the weekend. UCP > Digests > Additional criteria > Send a digest if there are no new posts = No. Digests will still churn through those 48 hours on Monday, but it should go quickly as there will be nothing to send.

Manually, before you enable the cron on Monday, you can reset the mailer. ACP > Extensions > Digests > Reset mailer. This would clear any backlog.

You need to carefully read the first post of the topic so you understand the design constraints of digests.

dafinch

Post by dafinch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Mark,

Thank you for explaining that. I'm going to recommend we switch to it running everyday which should resolve the issue.

stevenospam

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.0-RC7 Attachments not included

Post by stevenospam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 pm

I'm looking for a way to either include a link to a post's attachment or the attachment itself. My preference is the former. I included an inline attachment as a test post and received the digest as expected except that the hoped for link is not there. Below is the body of the digest:

Testing an image upload.
Capture.JPG
Attachments

Capture.JPG (137.79 KiB)

I would like to make Capture.JPG (137.79 KiB) an active URL so the digest reader can click to see the attachment. Any ideas how to do this?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Are you getting a text digest? In text digests all HTML is stripped.

In HTML digests, images are shown in place unless all images are blocked. Non-image attachments (such as a .pdf) should have a link in the digest you can click on to retrieve the attachment.

stevenospam

Post by stevenospam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:44 pm

I looked at the email source and it is HTML and the attachment is correctly coded. The problem is not Digests. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Extensions in Development”