[CDB] Digests 3.2.11

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.8

Post by MarkDHamill »

It shouldn't be a big deal. You can validate the page. I do this by using the manual mailer for the extension and saving the result to cache instead of mailing it. Then I use the W3C validator to verify the HTML is correct, usually by copying and pasting the HTML.

https://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input

There is a CSS validator too.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

What could be causing this

Code: Select all

A digest was NOT sent to pepe ([email protected]) because user filters and preferences meant there was nothing to send
Any way to debug it?
This is a test signature. I hope you love it :D
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

This is not an error, but a feature.

See: https://www.phpbbservices.com/2016/05/2 ... my-digests
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

Thanks.

The admin is getting digests, but not the users.

I could not find that in your post.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If you want to force subscriptions on users, there is a mass subscribe/unsubscribe feature on the extensions tab.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

I have already done that...
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If you are trying to figure out if emailing is working correctly, it's a complex topic. The first post is a starting point.

There are all sorts of issues with the interface between phpBB and email, mostly related to how hosts handle or don't handle emailing very well. These posts on my blog may be of help:

https://www.phpbbservices.com/2017/09/1 ... -problems/

https://www.phpbbservices.com/2018/07/0 ... -reliable/
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

Emails are sent from my server and from phpbb.

The digest is only sending to admin.

For other people it says as I said above. So we t must be an option in digest...
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If enabled, digests will indicate if it sent the digest in the admin log. If it says it sent it but they did not arrive, the problem lies elsewhere. They may end up in a spam folder, for example, or your web host may be blocking them from going out because they think it might be spam.

Digests use phpBB's mailer, which uses PHP mail or SMTP if your forum is configured that way. If an email package size is set, they may be in a queue to go out.

The first post talks about depending on board traffic vs. a system cron. If there is no board traffic, they won't go out until there is board traffic.

If it says nothing was sent because filters meant there was nothing to send then the issue is a filter. Most typically it is because there are new posts in the forums requested. The list of possibilities is in the earlier link.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

It sends to me the admin, but not to other users that are also mine...

Anyways, is it working for other people?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

It's been around since 2003. It's used successfully in lots of places. However, getting the cron working correctly and making sure the email flows smoothly can be a challenge, largely because these are factors outside of phpBB's control.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

But I have everything as by default and the admin gets emails but not the users...
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I've provided all the guidance I have in the links provided. Most likely the issue is either email is being selectively blocked going out by your web host or these are ending up in spam folders.

I assume you followed the articles. One important thing to do is to make sure your board contact email is an account on the forum's domain. If it's not that's often a flag to the web host that the email may be non legitimate. Sometimes, embedded content like videos will trigger issues like this. Digests general settings allows problematic tags like iframe and video to be filtered from digests.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

Nothing is blocked. I get emails to the admin, the log says it was not sent to the users because of this

Code: Select all

A digest was NOT sent to marc ([email protected]) because user filters and preferences meant there was nothing to send
user filters and preferences meant there was nothing to send

So the extension itself is not sending messages to users. I have everything by default and there are new topics.

But then why is it sending to admin?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I feel like I'm repeating myself.

You can use Edit Subscribers on the extensions tab to look at the settings for a particular user such as the one in question.

The reason it's not going out is going to be one or more of these settings:

https://www.phpbbservices.com/2016/05/2 ... my-digests

Return to “Extensions in Development”