[RC] Digests 3.2.10

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
bonnaphil
Name: Philippe Bonnaure

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.6-RC13

Post by bonnaphil » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:25 am

Hello Mark,

The problem with sending mails remains on that version if the Email package size parameter is different from 0, but the mail sending works when Email package size = 0.
Philippe Bonnaure
macvf.fr - GitHub - phpBB Forum - French Digests localizer

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:29 am

I hope Petr can chime in on this subject as this was his solution.

I did update /includes/html_messenger.php with 3.2.5 to include new code that appears in /includes/functions_messenger.php since I override the class to send HTML in an email. Apparently if you use the version of html_messenger.php in 3.2.4 this issue does not occur. I'll review my code changes but I believe I replicated what I had before. But if there is an issue, it might be in there.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed mods and extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:44 am

Still, I don't understand the way this extension is being versioned if I can make a note:
3.2.6-rc13
3.2.5-rc12
3.2.4-rc11
etc...
Did the v3.2.6 run the RC's cycle 13 times? And the v3.2.5 ... 12 times?

I suggest something like:
- 3.2.6-RC
- 3.2.5-RC
- 3.2.4 RC
- etc...
Or
- 3.2.6-RC1
- 3.2.6-RC2
- 3.2.6-RC3
- etc...
:game_die: The new Dice Roller extension for phpBB 3.2 is out! :game_die:

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Version 3.0.2 was the first version I labeled a release candidate, so it became 3.0.2-RC1. Since then I've simply incremented the release candidate number with each version.

If there is a specific way for marking up release candidates I may have missed it.

bonnaphil
Name: Philippe Bonnaure

Some options suggestions for Digests

Post by bonnaphil » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello,

I have 2 option suggestions for Digests to submit :

Option 1

As I am the forum admin and more generally for all the admins and moderators, it could be interesting to have a digest sent every X hours, in order to be reactive when a post is sent that need an answer. This would avoid to stay connected to the forum that is not always possible.

To avoid server load problem this option could be set using one of the following way :

1/ In the ACP bu adding an option to allow the admin and/or the moderator group to have an option set in UCP that allow them to set the digest to be sent every X hours (but not for the regular users of course)

2/ Or, to have a list of users (limited to the admin and/or moderator group) that could be allowed to have an option set in UCP that allow them to set the digest to be sent every X hours.

Option 2

In order to have a « heart beat » from the forum, I would suggest to add an option that would send in any case to the admin group an email at the UCP defined periodicity with either the digests content as it is the case currently but also a simple message « No posts posted on the forum since the last sending period » if no posts have been posted to the forum. Currently I can see on the ACP maintenance panel that no message has been sent to me (admin) because there was no messages posted on the forum. The idea (independently from option 1) could be to send a simple message to the admin group members only « No posts posted on the forum since the last sending period » in that case. So I would get at least a message every day from the forums, as I am registered to receive a daily digest. So I would be aware that everything is fine one the forum server. This would have the advantage to detect any failure with the forum server if I don't receive a message from the forum one day.

Please let me know what do you think about those both options. Thank you !
Philippe Bonnaure
macvf.fr - GitHub - phpBB Forum - French Digests localizer

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Regarding marking versions of extension as release candidates, this is a judgment of the extension author. Release candidates should be feature complete but in my case features have crept in since RC1. Clearly my judgment of whether my extension is ready for review does not match the extension review team's opinion, as they have rejected it twice so far and if I had to bet will reject it again. Identifying the status with a label is really only for identifying the status of the extension in this forum. Details are here.

As far as numbering the version of releases, what matters is how it is marked up in the extension's composer.json file, since this is the official version identification. I am following the recommendations for this schema. See: https://getcomposer.org/doc/04-schema.md#version

Code: Select all

"version": "3.2.6-RC13",
I don't believe the phpBB Group has any additional requirements for versioning.

As for as any archives created, those on my website show only the version number, i.e. digests_3.2.6.zip. GitHub has its own system for naming archives it creates by using the branch, such as master.zip.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:56 pm

I agree with Marco, your numbering is a little bit confusing and unconventional.

Some can believe, 3.2.6-RC13 is the 13th release candidate of version 3.2.6, but is is actually the one and only release candidate for that version. But it is the 13th release candidate for your extension (and the 6th in the 3.2-series of your extension, if I'm counting correctly). So, 3.2.6-RC or 3.2.0-RC6 would have the same meaning.

So, why are you counting two numbers up? To have a unique package ID, one increment would be enough.

Your are right, it's up to you, but still confusing ;)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:20 pm

Sure, that's what I meant.

We can take as for example phpBB itself, have you ever seen a "phpBB 3.0.0-beta5"?
... yes of course, also beta4, beta3, beta2 etc..

But not for sure a "phpBB 3.0.1-beta6" starting as a brand new version, every time you'll raise the version number that's a brand new cycle for that version number.

Here's the commonly used way to go: https://semver.org/ (Semantic versioning) (https://semver.org/#spec-item-11)
RC means just features frozen and ready to be released, awaiting feedback prior to be submitted.
Not necessarily have to be submitted immediately.

Downloadable files should respect the versioning as well, makes a nonsense to have the same 3.2.6.zip as for the filename for each and every new version, :?: I have that never seen.
That's constructive criticism, pay attention, nothing else. I for one I made mistakes on this subject, learned by doing.
:game_die: The new Dice Roller extension for phpBB 3.2 is out! :game_die:

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks for the thoughts on versioning. I got a review from the extensions review team. No, it didn't pass but the good news is the issues are minor. In any event they want me to resubmit it as 3.2.6 without the RC13 appended so I guess that solves that. Presumably so if it's approved they can publish it. I do find the guidance somewhat confusing, obviously.

Regarding a possible security issue storing copies of the digest used for testing in the /cache/phpbbservices/digests folder which could contain private messages and posts in protected forums didn't seem to bother them. Either they didn't notice or don't see it as an issue. Since this feature is only for testing by an admin and there is a feature in the manual mailer to clear these files I don't see it as an issue.

One bug that Philippe found has been fixed. After line 18 in /language/en/email/digests_html.txt add:

Code: Select all

h2 { clear:both; }
This forces the "Table of Contents" text to appear in the right place. This only affects HTML digests and not the Plain HTML digests.

I've also applied Petr Hendl's latest fixes which include creating a better .htaccess file in /cache/phpbbservices/digests so that the files can be browsed on Apache 2.4 and higher.

In short if you any more requests get them in soon as I hope to resubmit and this time there is a good chance it will finally be approved.

nou nou

Post by nou nou » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:51 am

That's great news, Mark! Looking forward to the big day! :)

Praggle

[RC6] Digests 3.0.7

Post by Praggle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:44 am

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to update an old 3.0.1 Installation to 3.0.7-RC6. Running on phpBB Version 3.1.12.
Update-Procedure: Deactivation of old version, renamed digests-folder, uploaded new digests-folder, kept old data in database, deleted old digests-entries in 'phpbb_modules' (caused errors on activation), aktivated new digests-version.

Problem is now: In UCP some form-fields seem to be deactivated after the backup (see 2nd picture):

Those UCP-forms are reading the correct values from database, but they can't be changed: Forums selection, Post filters and Additional criteria. ACP is working fine.

Maybe you know already, what has to be done, to get it working properly. Otherwise I have to get deeper into it for myself.

Praggle

Praggle

Post by Praggle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 pm

I've got it already:

I've forgotten to choose a type of digest. Now it's working!

Good luck with the extensions review team,
Praggle

Praggle

Post by Praggle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 pm

This might be an issue for you:

In ACP -> Edit Subscribers
I have realized in my 3.0.7 installation, that filtering of the list (Show: e.g. Subscribed) is getting lost, when you go forward to the next page. In my board I have about 60 subscribers. When I start filtering the number of pages is reducing from 37 to 4 and only members with subscription are shown, but when I want to go to the next page or to a specific page all 37 pages are showing up again and unsubscribed members are mixed with subscribed.

Maybe also:
Filtering and sorting might be better found on top of the list. And the Pulldown-Menu with the actions (with selected) needn't be combined with the refresh-button. That was always a little bit confusing for me.

Not so importnat!
Praggle

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks. Will look into it.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 pm

As for Refresh vs. Submit on Edit Subscribers, I think I was just following an example phpBB uses elsewhere. For example, the Admin Log has a number of form buttons. There is a field at the top, "Search for keywords" and a submit button. I tried to emulate that and probably stole their code. There is a "GO" button used for filtering and sorting data in the log. I could change REFRESH to GO to be consistent. The SUBMIT button at the bottom though takes a database action and that's the intent of the one on Edit Subscribers. It physically changes the content of the database where REFRESH does not.

Return to “Extensions in Development”