[RC] gn36 - version check notifier

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
gn#36
Translator

Re: [DEV] gn36 - version check notifier

Post by gn#36 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Thank you. Error corrected and files integrated.
German Support Team Member • http://www.phpbb.deMy Extensions in the CDBMy Extensions on Github • Contact with caos is inavoidable but no catastrophy if you keep an overview.

null2

Post by null2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:06 am

How often will it check for updates?
Sorry for my bad english. I'm from USA.

gn#36
Translator

Post by gn#36 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:42 am

The cron interval is set to 24 hours, so depending on how frequent you visit your board or how frequent you execute the cronjobs externally, a little bit less than once a day.

You can change the configuration variable to change that, if you wish (versionchecknotifier_gc contains the interval in seconds). But I think once a day should typically be sufficient, so I don't intend to provide an interface in the ACP to change the interval.
German Support Team Member • http://www.phpbb.deMy Extensions in the CDBMy Extensions on Github • Contact with caos is inavoidable but no catastrophy if you keep an overview.

null2

Post by null2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks for your reply.

Where can I find versionchecknotifier_gc to change?

gn#36
Translator

Post by gn#36 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:05 am

Sorry, I guess my comment was not clear on that: The configuration variable is stored in the config table of your test board.

You can access it using any tool you might use to access the database, e.g. phpmyadmin (after that you should clear the cache). If you have command line access, you can also change it by running php bin/phpbbcli.php config:set versionchecknotifier_gc 1234 (this would set the interval to 1234 seconds).

What interval do you wish to use?

null2

Post by null2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:40 am

I thing 43200 is a good number.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:13 am

null2 wrote:I thing 43200 is a good number.
Well, it is unlikely to happen that the CDB will be updated every 12 hrs, it is a waste of resources to do so often queries.. are you in a hurry? ;) Not to speak about phpBB releases, ofcourse.

@gn#36 » may ask you why you got a query cached for 48 hrs (172800, LEADERS)?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

gn#36
Translator

Post by gn#36 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:27 am

3Di wrote:@gn#36 » may ask you why you got a query cached for 48 hrs (172800, LEADERS)?
I guess it is not really necessary since the query is only run once a day anyways, but I thought the founders to be notified would probably not change too often, so I could reuse the data once. Since it is just below 48 hours it won't be reused more than once, so I guess I could also remove the caching.

gn#36
Translator

Re: [RC] gn36 - version check notifier

Post by gn#36 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:12 am

I have resolved the redirect issue and bumped up the version to release candidate as it has been working for quite some time now without major errors being detected.

I will turn in the extension as soon as the reason for this test failure on sqlite3 databases has been found and resolved.

Return to “Extensions in Development”