[CDB] Best Answer

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

[CDB] Best Answer

Post by Kailey »

Extension Name: Best Answer
Author: kinerity

Extension Description: An extension for phpBB 3.1.x that allows users to mark a post as the "Best Answer", which will then be quoted in the first post with a link to it. This is similar to IPB's feature.
Extension Version: 1.0.0-dev

Requirements: phpBB 3.2.0

Features:
  • Allow users to mark a post as the "Best Answer"
  • Answer is quoted in the first post with link to the post
  • Per-forum configuration
  • Permissions based
  • Answer post highlighted for distinction
  • Number of topics answered in viewtopic mini profile, pm mini profile and user profile
  • Search topics a user has answered removed
Demo URL: n/a

Extension Download: https://github.com/kinerity/bestanswer/ ... /1.0.0-RC1

GitHub: https://github.com/kinerity/bestanswer
Last edited by Kailey on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 am, edited 15 times in total.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
david63

Re: [BETA] Best Answer

Post by david63 »

Out of interest - how does this work?

I can understand the first person that comes along and marks a reply as the "best answer" but what happens when a second person comes along and marks another reply as the "best answer"?

Presumably the poster of a reply cannot mark their own reply as best answer - or can they?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

david63 wrote:what happens when a second person comes along and marks another reply as the "best answer"?
This is something I've never looked into because I've never had the need to. The relatively small staff on my site know that if a topic is already marked as answered, don't change it. I also have measures in place that let me know if they did (note to self - add logging to extension). Registered users do not have the permission to do so on my site, but I can see how this would be a problem.

I'll look into how to approach these situations. Thank you for the feedback.
david63 wrote:Presumably the poster of a reply cannot mark their own reply as best answer - or can they?
No, only Moderators and the original poster (if they have the permissions of course). That check is handled here.

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

david63 wrote:Out of interest - how does this work?

I can understand the first person that comes along and marks a reply as the "best answer" but what happens when a second person comes along and marks another reply as the "best answer"?

Presumably the poster of a reply cannot mark their own reply as best answer - or can they?
It's a permission you set.
Only the group/user with the permissions can set a post as 'Best Answer'.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I think that in most cases around the net, the only one that can set a reply as "best answer" would be the author of the original question/topic.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I think that in most cases around the net, the only one that can set a reply as "best answer" would be the author of the original question/topic.

robert
Ditto.

Or Moderators/Admins.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I think that in most cases around the net, the only one that can set a reply as "best answer" would be the author of the original question/topic.
3Di wrote:Or Moderators/Admins.
Which is exactly the way this is setup. It's all permissions-based. You decide who gets to mark posts and who doesn't.

Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

I've added logging to the extension.

Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

Any demo forum where this extension its active so I can see it in action?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Xtracker! wrote:Any demo forum where this extension its active so I can see it in action?
Just install it and you got the demo.. uh? :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Lumpy Burgertushie

one of the benefits of extensions is that there is no reason not to just install it to see if you like it.

if not, disable it and then delete it.

an extension never touches core files so there is no chance of screwing up your board.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

So extensions are not like mods? You don't run the risk of messing up your forum like back in the day with installing mods?
Lumpy Burgertushie

correct. extensions are self contained. you simply download the extension to your computer. unzip it, and upload to the server. then in your admin panel you look in the customize tab and click the enable link and poof, it works. if you don't like it or it doesn't work for some reason, you click the disable link and then click the delete link and then delete the files from the ftp and you are done.

https://www.phpbb.com/extensions/installing/

robert

david63

Post by david63 »

3Di wrote:Just install it and you got the demo
I would just qualify that by saying that you should only install an extension on a live board if you get it from the CDB - all others should only be used on a test board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Fnor

Post by Fnor »

Hello,

This extension looks very promising.

I tried to get something similar on 3.0 but quickly stopped because of mod was to heavy to use in case it ceased to be supported. Given the new extension system I was ready to try again. I found your previous, abandoned, and was a bit disappointed. I quickly searched the forum to see if anyone picked anything and I find you again, glad to see you health improved !

I will probably install the extension on a test board this weekend, however I would like to ask you if you have considered any of the following options/improvements :
- an option to disable the quote in the first message (maybe several options : nothing, just the link the answer, and the full answer) ;
- the possibility to mark several answers if one doesn't answer the question fully ;
- a counter showing how many "best answers" a member has posted that could be displayed (informations, profile page, member list... or even a new page with a ranking). That'd be a nice way to thank helpful members.

Also, when using a custom theme, what should be added except the css in the theme folder?

Thank you, I'm quite excited about this one!

Return to “Extensions in Development”