[3.2][BETA] Best Answer

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
kinerity
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: [BETA] Best Answer

Post by kinerity » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:32 pm

Fnor wrote:- an option to disable the quote in the first message (maybe several options : nothing, just the link the answer, and the full answer)
I will look into this.
Fnor wrote:- the possibility to mark several answers if one doesn't answer the question fully
Due to the complexity of the code, it's not something easily accomplished. Also, "best" means that out of a given set, it is of the most excellent and effective. ;)
Fnor wrote:- a counter showing how many "best answers" a member has posted that could be displayed
The extension already does this.

Fnor wrote:Also, when using a custom theme, what should be added except the css in the theme folder?
If your style inherits from prosilver, you shouldn't have to copy anything. If not, you will need to copy the contents from prosilver to your style and make the appropriate changes.
phpBB3 Refugees - Unofficial phpBB 3.0.x support

Fnor

Post by Fnor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:10 am

kinerity wrote:
Fnor wrote:- the possibility to mark several answers if one doesn't answer the question fully
Due to the complexity of the code, it's not something easily accomplished. Also, "best" means that out of a given set, it is of the most excellent and effective. ;)
I understand that it may be too difficult to code, but I would already be so happy with what you propose !

I tested the extension this weekend so here are a few comments :

I had a little trouble to configure the permissions so that the authors can act on their topics and the moderators on all topics, but it is most probably due to the way phpBB handles the permissions (the tons on them) and the fact I haven't been there for quite a long time. After that, it worked like a charm.

Ironically enough, I can mark the answers, they are correctly identified (both on topic list and inside the subject) and counted*, but i didn't get any message in the first topic about the best answer (which was one of my suggestion). Is there some configuration to do there? I do not get any error, the "best answer" simply isn't mentioned.

Other than that, I have one thing to say: great work. The plugin does perfectly what it says.

To make it even better, I would suggest that you add a configuration page in the admin to allow the users to customize what is displayed (some of them I already mentioned):
- chose the way to mark a topic on the topic list (just the icon or with the text "answered")
- chose what to show in the first message (said in last message)
- chose where to show the counter of answered topics (side of the message, member profile, member list)
- maybe have the option to get a quick message at the start of a "best answer" (such as "This message was selected as the best answer").

Another nice addition would be to make the "answered" sign clickable to get directly to the best answer (from topic list, or any page in the topic).

Finally, I don't know if you thought of it but marking the topics in the search results could be extra awesome would be extra nice if it can easily be made (otherwise it's probably not worth the time required).

Well, keep the great work, I would like to see this extension approved :) If it goes forward you can expect my help for a French translation.

* The very first message i marked worked well, however it couldn't be found when i clicked on the link saying the member had one "best answer". I couldn't replicate the issue so I assumed it might be due to something I did before getting the right setup.

kinerity

Post by kinerity » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:48 am

Fnor wrote:I had a little trouble to configure the permissions so that the authors can act on their topics and the moderators on all topics, but it is most probably due to the way phpBB handles the permissions
Yeah, there isn't much I can do in the way of permissions. I could probably post a guide, but they follow phpBB's permission system.
Fnor wrote:Ironically enough, I can mark the answers, they are correctly identified (both on topic list and inside the subject) and counted*, but i didn't get any message in the first topic about the best answer (which was one of my suggestion). Is there some configuration to do there? I do not get any error, the "best answer" simply isn't mentioned.
It should work straight out of the box. Do you perhaps have a screenshot or a test board where I can see this?
Fnor wrote:- chose the way to mark a topic on the topic list (just the icon or with the text "answered")
I chose to go with the icon since it took up the least amount of screen real estate.
Fnor wrote:- chose what to show in the first message (said in last message)
I can look into this
Fnor wrote:- chose where to show the counter of answered topics (side of the message, member profile, member list)
Already planned, but it won't be an configuration option
Fnor wrote:- maybe have the option to get a quick message at the start of a "best answer" (such as "This message was selected as the best answer").
The green background of the post wasn't indication enough? :lol:
Fnor wrote:Another nice addition would be to make the "answered" sign clickable to get directly to the best answer (from topic list, or any page in the topic).
I'll take this into consideration.
Fnor wrote:Finally, I don't know if you thought of it but marking the topics in the search results could be extra awesome would be extra nice if it can easily be made (otherwise it's probably not worth the time required).
The extension already does this, but only in topic searches, not post searches (available event limitation).

Fnor

Post by Fnor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:26 pm

kinerity wrote:
Fnor wrote:Ironically enough, I can mark the answers, they are correctly identified (both on topic list and inside the subject) and counted*, but i didn't get any message in the first topic about the best answer (which was one of my suggestion). Is there some configuration to do there? I do not get any error, the "best answer" simply isn't mentioned.
It should work straight out of the box. Do you perhaps have a screenshot or a test board where I can see this?
Sure, here you are : https://imgur.com/a/FdDZ1.
I tested both my theme (children of prosilver) and prosilver, without seeing anything.
Fnor wrote:- chose the way to mark a topic on the topic list (just the icon or with the text "answered")
I chose to go with the icon since it took up the least amount of screen real estate.
Not sure we understand each other here. On both my screenshot and yours it shows "answered" next to the check sign. My suggestion was to allow the user to use the check sign only (even more important for responsive themes).
Fnor wrote:- maybe have the option to get a quick message at the start of a "best answer" (such as "This message was selected as the best answer").
The green background of the post wasn't indication enough? :lol:
Tbh I don't feel it's that obvious with my theme, but i'll probably have to adapt the css anyway (the "mark this answer" button isn't readable when moused over).

Anyway if I can be of any help, let me know!

kinerity

Post by kinerity » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Fnor wrote:Sure, here you are : https://imgur.com/a/FdDZ1.
I tested both my theme (children of prosilver) and prosilver, without seeing anything.
That makes no sense at all. Can you post the source code for that page (just that first post should be fine).
Fnor wrote:Not sure we understand each other here. On both my screenshot and yours it shows "answered" next to the check sign. My suggestion was to allow the user to use the check sign only (even more important for responsive themes).
Ah, I understand now. I'll look into this and see how feasible it is.

Fnor

Post by Fnor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi,

Here is the source for the first post : http://pastebin.com/ragUZTJD

I don't see any reference to the plugin except for the "mark this answer" button.

kinerity

Post by kinerity » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:58 am

Yeah, this still doesn't make sense and I can't duplicate this issue (4 different installs). What phpBB version? Are you 100% sure your styles are all up-to date?

Edit: I just pushed an update - let me know if it fixes your issue

Fnor

Post by Fnor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:35 am

kinerity wrote:Edit: I just pushed an update - let me know if it fixes your issue
Yup, that fixed it! (Screenshot: https://imgur.com/KeVKppG)
kinerity wrote:
Fnor wrote:Not sure we understand each other here. On both my screenshot and yours it shows "answered" next to the check sign. My suggestion was to allow the user to use the check sign only (even more important for responsive themes).
Ah, I understand now. I'll look into this and see how feasible it is.
I'd say just don't print the "ANSWERED". That was my quick solution (i barbarically deleted the text from the language file) and it seems ok, although a little fix of the css would be required (check sign not centered).

kinerity

Post by kinerity » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:04 am

OK, development update - I haven't forgot about this. In fact, I'm still actively working on it. The reason there has been no update is because there are 2 very nagging problems I'm trying to fix before pushing this to RC status. In the meantime, if you find any bugs, please let me know about them. ;)

kinerity

Post by kinerity » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:04 am

I just pushed an update that fixes 1 of the 2 problems. I'll be working on the 2nd problem this week. This extension should reach RC very shortly.

null2

Post by null2 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:09 am

Translation to Portuguese-Brazil: https://www.sendspace.com/file/lh42pj
Sorry for my bad english. I'm from USA.

kinerity

Post by kinerity » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi,

Please send a pull request through GitHub. Thanks!

null2

Post by null2 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Translation to Spanish: https://www.sendspace.com/file/18qqxw

I have no idea how to use GitHub, sorry.
Sorry for my bad english. I'm from USA.

mohamednayeem
Name: mohamed nayeem

Post by mohamednayeem » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:02 am

extension did not showing (ACP -> Extensions )

why ?

how to enable best answer feature ?
I am learn from My Mistake!Without Mistake We Can't Learn Best ;)
https://www.betachess.com/
https://github.com/MohamedNayeem

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:08 am

mohamednayeem wrote:extension did not showing (ACP -> Extensions )

why ?

how to enable best answer feature ?
Are you able to enable it under ACP -> Customise -> Manage extensions?
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “Extensions in Development”