[CDB] PhpBB IUM (Inactive User Manager/reminder)

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
andreask
Name: Andreas

Re: [3.1][3.2][RC] PhpBB IUM (Inactive User Manager/reminder)

Post by andreask »

What I mean is, I want you to turn this on so you can tell me if you see the test user in the list, and if so what is the request type and date for the user.

The process is simple.

When the 3rd+ mail is sent the user is will not receive any other e-mails.
If the auto delete option is selected then the user will be deleted after the amount of days that is set in the Days after section, unless the Require approval for self delete requests is selected. (ok I admit that this needs to be rewritten properly because now it says for self delete requests, it should be for delete requests).
In that case the administrator has to approve the request. once the admin select the user and choose approve from the options bellow the list, clicks on submit button, the user will be deleted immediately.
But there might be a 'glitch' somewhere in the process... lets see...
Here is what I am working on right now...
Inactive User Manager for phpBB
Give it a try...
If you would like to buy me a bier ;) for my work I will drink it on a hot summer day and thank you!!!
KlausiMaus

Post by KlausiMaus »

OK, understood!

Yes I saw the list now and the state of the test-user was "auto-Ignored" - I reset the state.

So disabling "Require approval for self delete" was correct for automatic deleting?

But there was only send a message to te test-user and he was not deleted (the message as daily repeated), that was the problem.

Now I will try it again, but this will take a while since I don't want to change any time settings to prevent other real users get warnings.
Maybe I could manipulate some DB settings.
Klaus (http://forum.kuhnert.ch/) :: Keep it simple, stupid :!:
andreask

Post by andreask »

KlausiMaus wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 am So disabling "Require approval for self delete" was correct for automatic deleting?
Yes.
KlausiMaus wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 am Now I will try it again, but this will take a while since I don't want to change any time settings to prevent other real users get warnings.
Maybe I could manipulate some DB settings.
If you don't feel comfortable, better wait! :)
Give it a try...
If you would like to buy me a bier ;) for my work I will drink it on a hot summer day and thank you!!!
donsenilo
Name: Markus

Post by donsenilo »

Hi

There are some missing texts:
I've deactivated your ext, uploaded your master and activated it again, but no change.
andreask

Post by andreask »

Is your set language German?
If it is, then it's probably because it is not translated completely.
Try English instead.
Give it a try...
Sepp71

Post by Sepp71 »

I have just installed IUM and start testing it on a live board (language German)
It looks great and I like the test-mails very much. Including the self-deletion link did not work for me (link did not appear in the e-mail), but no problem for me because I have another extension to preserve that possibility in the UCP.

I think it might be too much to remember people three times if they simply don't want to use the board anymore.
Is there a possibility to either set the number of reminders to 1 or 2 OR to delete users manually from the extension's userlist (via checkbox)?

Sepp
andreask

Post by andreask »

Thanks!

I know about the problem you mentioned and it is fixed (on my dev enviroment) but I still have some work to do so it will take some time till it will be released.

For now there is no easy way to do it.
But Let me see how it goes and maybe I'll try to implement something, else it will be scheduled for the next version (not the one that I am working on now).

P.S. German translation is incomplete so I would suggest using English instead. A lot of things are missing.

Best regards,

Andreas
Give it a try...
Frogmen

Post by Frogmen »

If anyone is interested in the Spanish language on this EXT/Si a alguien le interesa el idioma Español en esta EXT:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0495nju1 ... s.rar/file

slds
Frogmen
andreask

Post by andreask »

Thank you for the translation.
I'll include it to the next release!
Give it a try...
KlausiMaus

Post by KlausiMaus »

Is there a new Version in the pipeline?
Klaus (http://forum.kuhnert.ch/) :: Keep it simple, stupid :!:
andreask

Post by andreask »

Unfortunately I am not sow active right now with it. But sooner or later there will be. And it will most probably be the cdb release.
Give it a try...
FixItDik

Post by FixItDik »

Hi Andreas,

I love the idea - in fact I stupidly just spent 4 days trying to come up with my own version before I found yours. I have now downloaded, installed and activated yours on my development server but I am struggling a little with the configuration and understanding what I need to set so that I can achieve the target. My Club (for whom I run the Forum) have been scared by GDPR and have dictated that users personal data must be deleted if they have not used the Forum for 6 months (so a lot more than your 30 days). Our users are very idle which is fine - some will not bother logging in to read posts and do not bother to make posts themselves, which is why 6 months is acceptable for "inactivity".

But I cannot work out what configuration settings I need to make to implement their demand - and no matter what I change in the settings it does not appear to change what appears in the "Inactive users list" (it always defaults to "30 days from joined" and then I have to set it to "6 months from last visit" each time I look at the list).

One other thing I do need to confirm (because I got very confused myself before I found your plugin) is that you *are* dealing with "dormant" users here and not users who have been flagged as "inactive" by the PHPBB software (they use the term "inactive" to mean someone who has registered and not yet been approved or someone who has changed their username and so needs approval again - this is why they already have an "Inactive users" option in the Users and Groups" tab of the ACP).

I know it is very late in the day but perhaps changing your terminology to refer to "dormant" users might be less confusing?

In the 4 days I spent looking at this I also found a bug in PHPBB3 (and 2) where the "Keep me logged in" option means that the "user_last_visit" value is not being updated - I have one user who apparently hasn't visited the forum for 6 months and yet somehow sent a PM only last week!

I am sorry this is such a long message - you can tell how excited I am at finding your extension :)

If I can do anything to help (I am a PHP programmer) let me know

Regards

Dik
(aka FixItDik)
andreask

Post by andreask »

Hi Dik,

Thank you very much for your kind words! It means a lot to me.

To your issues, findings and thoughts now!

For what I understood you want the extension to send reminders to users that have not visited the board for more than 6 months... (right?).
In that case you will have to set the option Interval in ium configuration -> Reminder settings to 180 days. 30 days X 6 months (give or take).
The Inactive users list is just a tool for informations such as who is ignored who is not and in which way and to find quickly and easy, who was reminded last etc. You cannot configure anything there for the reminders.
All the configurations are done in the IUM Configuration.
I hope I understood you well and that I've helped you.
*Keep in mind that if you set the days to 180 this will affect the 2nd and last 3rd reminder as well. That means that they will be sent after 180 days also.

The extension sends reminders to all the users that have not been active (logged in) for an x amount of days.
Activated or not...
Meaning that if a user has logged in and activated his account after a while he stops coming back he well get a reminder after x days of inactivity.
But a user that has registered and never activated his account will also be reminded.
So bottom line is that the users are inactive (do not have any sort of activity on the board) this is why I call it inactive... Not like in PHPBB inactive as not have been activated or have been disabled. It could be confusing, but if I'll starti using the "dormant" term I'll have to rename the extension :P
(perhaps phpbb could consider changing the term "inactive" to "unactivated", which is correct"er" :D :lol: IMHO)

Does the bug affects > 3.2 as well? (ill try it on my test env, and have some fun finally...)
If so,this is "bad"... for my ext at least, because it uses the last login date to figure out if the user has logged in or not lately.

Well you can see the code on github and gitlab...
My code is a mess!!!
So if you think that you can understand what is going on there and improve it... by all means, be my guest!
Just fork the master and shoot at will...
I am not a professional php programmer and any input/help by a pro is more than welcome!

Best regards,

Andreas

P.S. A newer version is on master, so I suggest you download this one instead. But you'll have to completely remove the old one. I had to change a lot of things and one of them was to use the phpbb_users table instead of creating a separate table for my data.
Give it a try...
FixItDik

Post by FixItDik »

Aha! Brilliant, so the "interval" is how long since the last log on that the first email is sent - how long after that does the second email go please (Is it "interval" or is it hard-coded to 30 days)? I don't really mind just checking :)

As the Club want the person's details to be deleted after 6 months I wonder therefore if I need to set the Interval to 2 months as they will then get their 1st email at 2 months, their second at 4 months and their third at 6 months (then it'll delete them X days after the 3rd email if I set the Auto Delete "on" and set the "Days after" to X).

However if it is hard coded to re-send the email 30 days after the 1st one then I need to set the interval to be 4 months, then they will get the second at 5 months and third at 6 months.

You are so brilliant at coding you should think about doing professional work - I am a little OCD and so details really matter to me (as you can probably tell from my questions) and I have spotted a few very small typing mistakes in the English Language files - at the very least I will see about fixing those on GitHub and let you review them :)

Now for the tricky part: the "remember me" bug - I don't believe they have fixed this (in fact I looked at their bug tracking and believe it is set to "Won't fix") so I started to think about how to address this myself. One thing I found was the "user_lastvisit" field and the "session_last_visit" field (because I am looking for people who have not visited, not just posted) but even those apparently do not get updated in every circumstance, especially if the "Remember me" expiration days is set to "0" ( = never). I was going to set this to 60 days anyway (so they have to log in every 60 days) and that will help prevent issues, but there was also a "hack" someone suggested where every time a page is visited by a loged in user it updates their "user_lastvisit" field - I was a little scared about that one as I am not sure what then happens to their "posts since last visit" list - would it get cleared as soon as they visit the first one, all very complex...

Anyway, I will leave you to have a wonderful weekend - I am so very grateful for your super quick response and lovely clear answer, if you could let me know about the time between each email and I will, as soon as I get a chance (so most likely later in the week) get a look at GitHub.

Happy New Year!

Dik
andreask

Post by andreask »

Yes it's the interval.
So you can set it to 60 days, and it will send 3 mails within 6 months period as you wrote.

Well I really don't think that my code is brilliant but thanks I guess... :)

Have a good weekend as well!
And a happy (pre) new year! ;)
Give it a try...

Return to “Extensions in Development”