[ABD] Auto db Backup

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
david63

Re: [3.2][RC] Auto db Backup

Post by david63 »

accs-p wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 pm Is that change in GitHub?
Not yet
draky wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:45 am In OP, you tell about "sending files using event", is it doable in admin panel ?
No - it is something that another extension can use such as my Dropbox upload
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
draky
Name: Gilles W.

Post by draky »

Thanks a lot :)
Elmarc

Post by Elmarc »

I tried uploading 3 ways, just in case, and none showed up in the Extensions Manager.
The current board version in use is 3.2.1.
I installed the Image Upload extension without any issues, so I am at a loss.

Here's what I tried:

/ext/david63/autodbbackup/david63-autodbbackup-3.2/[unzipped files]
/ext/david63/david63-autodbbackup-3.2/[unzipped files]
/ext/david63-autodbbackup-3.2/[unzipped files]
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Try
/ext/david63/autodbbackup/[unzipped files]
in [unzipped files], there is a file called composer.json, open it with a good text editor and you'll find the "name" tag giving you the path for extensions

Edit: the complete path is also given in the very first post:
david63 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:14 amUpload the unzipped files to root/ext/david63/autodbbackup a
where root means the phpBB-root folder (where config.php is)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Elmarc

Post by Elmarc »

/phpBB3.2/BulletinBoard/ext/david63/autodbbackup/david63-autodbbackup-3.2/
is where the files were first placed.

By referring to the file you listed, it should have been /phpBB3.2/BulletinBoard/ext/david63/autodbbackup/[unzipped files]

I misunderstood your convention, expecting the last to be a folder, the way that Image Upload was described.

It came up in the Extensions Manager and enabled now.
lichang422

Post by lichang422 »

I used at 3.2.2
When I setting "Next backup time"
Why does it show "Year need smaller than 1971"

And when I set to 1971, submit
It will show "Need to set in the future time"

So how do i set it??
david63

Post by david63 »

I cannot answer that as I have not tested it on 3.2.2 and will not be in a position to do so for at least another six weeks.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

lichang422 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:22 am I used at 3.2.2
When I setting "Next backup time"
Why does it show "Year need smaller than 1971"

And when I set to 1971, submit
It will show "Need to set in the future time"

So how do i set it??
Works fine with 3.2.2, just tested it.
Waltons72

Post by Waltons72 »

Never mind i got it working now i disable it then delete the data on it then re enable it then it started working.
arnyeinstein

Post by arnyeinstein »

Hi
What data did you delete? I have the same problem: I only can set the year to 1970 or 1971.
Cheers
Renger
Waltons72

Post by Waltons72 »

Renger,

Disable it then click delete data on it then re enable it then it should start working if it still shows 1971 disabled it again then click delete data again then re enable it
arnyeinstein

Post by arnyeinstein »

Thanks! Is now as it should be.
Renger
Waltons72

Post by Waltons72 »

You're welcome.
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

I looked for an answer in this thread but couldn't it. Apologies in advance if I missed it.

What are people's experiences with this extension with very large databases? I have a 6GB database uncompressed, which I could backup as a smaller package if I opted not to backup the search index database (maybe 3GB by itself?).

Since it runs using phpBB's inbuilt cron it only runs when the board is accessed, so I'm concerned that the user will then experience hangs while the database is being backed up, without knowing what was going on. Is the quality or reliability of the backup affected by running it on a live board?

Many years ago, one of my board's former admins wrote a batch script that backed up the database daily using the mySQL CLI. This was scheduled using Windows Task Scheduler (our server is a self managed VPS running on IIS). The script also redirected the domain name to a maintenance page explaining that the website was offline for backups. This helped speed up the process and ensured data wasn't being read/written from the database during the backup.

My plan is to still make periodic manual backups of the physical website code and importantly the attachments /files folder, given they are less likely to be corrupted.

I could setup the custom script again. However, I like the idea of being able to configure this all directly from the ACP and upload copies to a dropbox for remote access. Do I need to worry with a large database or will all be fine?

Thanks in advance and thanks david63 for authoring this extension. 8-)
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
accs-p

Post by accs-p »

KYPREO wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:05 am Since it runs using phpBB's inbuilt cron it only runs when the board is accessed, so I'm concerned that the user will then experience hangs while the database is being backed up, without knowing what was going on. Is the quality or reliability of the backup affected by running it on a live board?

Many years ago, one of my board's former admins wrote a batch script that backed up the database daily using the mySQL CLI. This was scheduled using Windows Task Scheduler (our server is a self managed VPS running on IIS). The script also redirected the domain name to a maintenance page explaining that the website was offline for backups. This helped speed up the process and ensured data wasn't being read/written from the database during the backup.
I'm running this on a Linux-based Hosting service, and I have the same problem (inadequate usage during "off-hours"). To resolve this, I created a cron job

Code: Select all

# Run the phpBB crontab command
*/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php /home/user/forum-directory/bin/phpbbcli.php cron:run
This runs the phpBB cron check every 5 minutes.

I expect that Windows can do something similar.

It should be noted that the backup will slowly shift to a later time. This issue has been addressed previously in this topic.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”