[CDB] Feed post bot

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
whocarez

Re: [3.2][RC] Feed post bot

Post by whocarez »

Yes, it went through without problems. Thanks again for your quick answer.
Ger

Post by Ger »

whocarez wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 am Yes, it went through without problems. Thanks again for your quick answer.
Great, thanks for reporting back.

Glad it's no problem in the feed post bot. :)
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
MattyB

Post by MattyB »

This is an awesome extension - however I'm having an issue with it duplicating posts. I've got it set to fetch ever 12 hours from here:

http://www.evo.co.uk/reviews/feed

Yet every 2-3 days it will fetch ALL posts again, so I have to go through and delete. I'm guessing because this only happens now and again, it's an issue with how they are editing the feed, which is confusing the extension into thinking they're new? Is there anything I can do?
Ger

Post by Ger »

MattyB wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm I'm guessing because this only happens now and again, it's an issue with how they are editing the feed, which is confusing the extension into thinking they're new?
The extension stores the latest unique item it finds in the feed. It's done by either a unique ID if provided (guid) or link/timestamp combination otherwise.
If as you say they edit the feed now and than, that might be an issue indeed.

What you could do is set the permissions of the posting user to require post approval. You can than pick and choose which ever items you want to publish and remove the others.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.

MattyB

Post by MattyB »

Ger wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:25 pm
MattyB wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm I'm guessing because this only happens now and again, it's an issue with how they are editing the feed, which is confusing the extension into thinking they're new?
The extension stores the latest unique item it finds in the feed. It's done by either a unique ID if provided (guid) or link/timestamp combination otherwise.

What you could do is set the permissions of the posting user to require post approval. You can than pick and choose which ever items you want to publish and remove the others.
Ah, good idea - I'll just set post approval, thanks. 8-)
BPUK

Post by BPUK »

Ger wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Great ext, thanks for that, worked without fuss.

I am having the same problems with duplicate posts so have switched it off for now as it is importing too many. I have used these same feeds before without a problem on a Drupal site.

The problem is that the source posts imported are updated by the user.

The only info I can see in the feed, apart from the title and description,

?UserID=12345678
div class="lastUpdated">30 April 2018, 10:43</div

UserID remains the same but the time stamp changes.

Can you suggest a work-round to this?

Many thanks.
Ger

Post by Ger »

BPUK wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:55 am Great ext, thanks for that, worked without fuss.

I am having the same problems with duplicate posts so have switched it off for now as it is importing too many. I have used these same feeds before without a problem on a Drupal site.

The problem is that the source posts imported are updated by the user.

The only info I can see in the feed, apart from the title and description,

?UserID=12345678
div class="lastUpdated">30 April 2018, 10:43</div

UserID remains the same but the time stamp changes.

Can you suggest a work-round to this?

Many thanks.
Well, like I wrote earlier: The extension stores the latest unique item it finds in the feed. It's done by either a unique ID if provided (guid) or link/timestamp combination otherwise.

Can you point me to the actual feed? (url)
My extensions:

Ger

Post by Ger »

I'm happy to report that this extension has been approved.
Checkout the CDB
My extensions:

Return to “Extensions in Development”