[3.1][3.2][RC] Feed post bot

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Ger

Re: [3.1][3.2][RC] Feed post bot

Post by Ger » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:24 am

scriptman wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:31 pm
Wanted to ask, is there a way to include some pre-text for the source url?
E.G Source: http://example.com
You can add a prefix to the topic title and default there is a link appended to the post (unless you choose to disable it).
scriptman wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:59 am
Despite the feed having over 10 feeds, the bot pulls just 5 like i said earlier.
I still suggest you add that feature.
The bot should just pull everything, unless you have fetched a feed earlier.
Can you provide the feed that's bothering you?
wolfofone wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:38 am
You can set it to post manually when you go into ACP and manually tell it to go grab the feed and post or by adjusting the auto-posting interval in the "Interval for processing feeds (seconds):" box. 1800 seconds (default is every 30 minutes, you can change this so that it checks and post more or less often).
This indeed, thanks for answering.
wolfofone wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:35 am
Thank you for this! You are awesome!

I have been looking for a replacement to SMIX.MODS RSS importer for a long, long time now and I recently had given up and updated to phpBB 3.2 and just went without an rss posting bot... then I happened to come across this!

It was super simple to set up and get working. https://verrytechnical.com/forums/viewt ... f=16&t=786

The latest post was by your tool, all the older ones were done by the SMIX.MODs feed that has been abandoned for forever (I did write two articles on supporting getting it working with 3.0.x forums but didn't have the know-how to update the code to work with 3.1+). I will need to up the text limit count though as I chose 50 just to test, I think 150 will be better :-).

I will certainly point people towards your project and include a link to your donation link in an upcoming blog post :-).
You're welcome. :)
Checkout my extensions: Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Modbreak, Magic OGP links and Live topic update

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

scriptman

Post by scriptman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Ger wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:24 am
You can add a prefix to the topic title and default there is a link appended to the post (unless you choose to disable it).
I am talking about the appended link. A way to add "Source:" as pre-text in front of the appended link.
The bot should just pull everything, unless you have fetched a feed earlier.
Can you provide the feed that's bothering you?
I wish you could make the bot pull less feeds. Some feeds have over 20 items a day.
Would it be an issue if you do this?

Ger

Post by Ger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:29 pm

scriptman wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 pm
I am talking about the appended link. A way to add "Source:" as pre-text in front of the appended link.
I just added a "source: " prefix for the outgoing link to the source. You can change this to your liking in the language file if desired.
scriptman wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 pm
I wish you could make the bot pull less feeds. Some feeds have over 20 items a day.
Would it be an issue if you do this?
I actually think this is beyond what I intend this extension to do. I expect many support questions from users not understanding why they don't get all items from their feed...

A feed tracker is simply intended to make sure you don't miss anything. If it floods your board, you can opt to post it to a hidden forum and move the most interesting posts to a public forum of your choosing. If that's too much of a hurdle you can choose to modify the driver file to add some simple logic ]here limiting to $to_post array.
Checkout my extensions: Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Modbreak, Magic OGP links and Live topic update

wolfofone

Post by wolfofone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:22 am

What would be the best way to update the extension, can I simply copy the new folder to the server and overwrite any existing files? Or do i need to go into ACP, uninstall it, copy new folder over, then reinstall it?

Ger

Post by Ger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:11 am

scriptman

Post by scriptman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Ger wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:29 pm
If that's too much of a hurdle you can choose to modify the driver file to add some simple logic limiting to $to_post array.
It sure is, mind sharing the code to edit at that line?

scriptman

Post by scriptman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:19 pm

I just added a "source: " prefix for the outgoing link to the source. You can change this to your liking in the language file if desired.
Thanks, updated.

Ger

Post by Ger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:44 pm

scriptman wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:18 pm
Ger wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:29 pm
If that's too much of a hurdle you can choose to modify the driver file to add some simple logic limiting to $to_post array.
It sure is, mind sharing the code to edit at that line?
From the top off my head (untested) I would change this line to:

Code: Select all

if (($this->is_handled($item, $this->current_state[$source_id]['latest'])) || (count($to_post) == 20 ) )
That should enforce it to stop at 20 items per feed source.

scriptman

Post by scriptman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Ger wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:44 pm

if (($this->is_handled($item, $this->current_state[$source_id]['latest'])) || (count($to_post) == 20 ) )
Will give it a try.

I also saw you didn't seem to test the "Source" update as it's picking the uppercase HERE instead of using the one from language file.

Ger

Post by Ger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:34 pm

scriptman wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:24 pm
I also saw you didn't seem to test the "Source" update as it's picking the uppercase HERE instead of using the one from language file.
This works fine for me. It does require that you have the correct language files for the selected user for the feed(s). Otherwise, phpBB falls back to the language key instead of the language value.

scriptman

Post by scriptman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Ger wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:34 pm
This works fine for me. It does require that you have the correct language files for the selected user for the feed(s). Otherwise, phpBB falls back to the language key instead of the language value.
Really can't say why it isn't working for me. But i sure have the en language file in.

Ger

Post by Ger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Please check if you have followed the right procedure for updating like posted above.

scriptman

Post by scriptman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:59 am

Ger wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:08 pm
Please check if you have followed the right procedure for updating like posted above.
I disabled the extension and only update the language files and driver file.
Then Re-enabled it.

It's literally same thing with the instruction i presume.

Ger

Post by Ger » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:21 am

It's just guessing from here. You can try to follow the instructions to the letter (e.g. updating completely) and than clear your cache. If it doesn't work, than please post some more information:
  1. Board URL
  2. Board version
  3. Installed language packs
  4. Other installed extensions that do something with language, posting or users
  5. Feed URL
  6. Feed user
  7. Feed user's language

scriptman

Post by scriptman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:56 pm

scriptman wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:24 pm
Ger wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Will give it a try.

This seem to work so far, you can add it to ACP settings if possible though.

Return to “Extensions in Development”